My new GK bass !

Started by fokof, July 21, 2010, 01:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fokof

A home project , I had a MusicMan neck , wich I really love , it's a one piece , quilted maple neck.
So I wanted to do a GK only bass but with a Roland pickup this time.

I ordered a Warmoth body and here's the final result ;

I did like my other bass and put the GK plug angled so it is protected.
I also used tiny switches as S1/S2 I had and installed them flush with the body , this part needed a lot of patience !

You don't see in the photo , but I've put the red LED inside , just beside the GK plug , so it illuminates the jack ....  ;) Very cool  !

Brent Flash

Kevin M

Very nice!  I like the tiny S1/S2 switches as well.

bob e

Beautifully done and thoughtfully conceived.  I would live to have a guitar like that. 

MIDIme

mooncaine

ddlooping

Quote from: fokof on July 21, 2010, 01:57:25 PM
You don't see in the photo , but I've put the red LED inside , just beside the GK plug , so it illuminates the jack ....  ;) Very cool  !

Photo or it's a lie.  :P
Diaz Guitars (work in progress)

JCRob

Great work!

If one was to buy some wood for a bass,  where could be the best place to do so?

RicardoLove

With so many GR-55 being sold, people already having VG and older GR units and people selling the old stuff bringing more people into the group....I'd say there are going to be the most largest number of people ever wanting this kind of custom job.  Godin, Fender, Parker are great but I love to see someone take the time to do the custom work like you did.  I have to find someone that can do it reasonable and I'd pay for it.  The Guitar Institute of Technology (GIT and MIT) here in LA has a custom guitar making program. I might hit a student up to make one.  You might want to consider doing this for other folk if it's worth the time to profit ratio. Nice work!
email: ricardolovemedia@gmail.com
demo web site: http://www.reverbnation.com/rlove
GR-55 demos http://www.soundcloud.com/ricardolove
For hire Music Producer/Remixer

fokof

Thanx

It's very easy,  check Warmoth site , order a body a neck , you can ask them to do the finish then the GK part is not that hard if you do it standard.
On my project , the 45° jack and the little switches were a PITA to do , but if you do it standard with an internal kit: easy gig.

fokof

Quote from: ddlooping on February 26, 2011, 12:52:08 PM
Photo or it's a lie.  :P

I first tried a red one but I prefer a yellow.

ddlooping

Now we believe you. :)
Nice.  8)
Diaz Guitars (work in progress)

gumtown

Very nice !!  ;D
I like the angled plug socket mounting, you might have been in trouble with the locking cable if the socket was mounted upside down. :o

What sort of GK-3B kit is that, do they make a dedicated internal one for bass? or is it a modified external kit.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

vakmere

Great install. Very inspiring. I think I'll do a 6 string version. Time to get out the ole woodworking tools.