Elantric's Bio

Started by Elantric, January 24, 2008, 01:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Now_And_Then

Quote from: Elantric on April 01, 2013, 10:51:29 PMLuckily they took this one and left my $2500 Gretsch 6120 Brian Sezter that was sitting in the next room.

That is luck indeed!

This is way off topic, but I have heard some very good things about some of the Gibson counterfeits from China. The main shortcoming seems to be in the electronics as opposed to the wood. I am considering it, though.

Thanks for the info!

Elantric

If you are seeking a cheap Les paul with good sustain.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31750.msg236910#msg236910

focus

were a handsome young man :)

Ringleader

I just gotta say... Elantric, I am so impressed with how great of a resource you are. I don't know how you can find the time to continually provide insight and be so knowledgable on so many topics, even including fringe topics that are outside the norm of typical guitarists and guitar rigs. It seems like you have been there and done everything!

I sometimes feel like I am all alone in exploring uncharted territory with a rig or piece of gear and yet I come here ask a question on this forum and within minutes you've got a solution posted, or I find a previous thread where you've already addressed it. Obviously, others on here are also very helpful as well, but just the amount and quality of guidance that you have personally provided to me is remarkable. Just wanted to sincerely thank you for all that you do here and on other forums.

Elantric

Hey you are welcome.

Its true, as luck would have it, I have had exposure to many areas, people, technology - principally self taught on a daily basis.

I like to surround myself with people smarter than me, and luckily in life I have been able to have some of that "rub off" on me.

I figure if  I "lead by example", it just might rub off on others too.

seems to be working here at VGuitarforums ;)

BTW - I'm currently working again with The Kristen Black Band
http://www.amazon.com/Kristen-Black/dp/B00006L502
and a new surf band "Boomer"

and The Dentures surf band

mbenigni

QuoteJust wanted to sincerely thank you for all that you do here and on other forums.

+1

Elantric

Hey  - a link to a video of my Surf band is now up at NME (New Music Express) in the UK.

The Dentures Surf Band w/ Paul Johnson (Mr Moto) video

The Dentures Surf Band w/ Paul Johnson (Mr Moto) SLO Brew - Nov 30, 2012 The Dentures Surf Band Ron Saul - Bass Tres Feltman - Drums Steve Conrad - Guitar

http://www.nme.com/nme-video/youtube/id/lEaAlv6t014

Toby Krebs

That is some seriously great guitar playing Elantric! I don't think a lot of people besides Mr. Dale himself and Brian Setzer know how flippin' hard it is to play so cleanly with such control of the whammy bar and YOU HAVE TONE FOR DAYS!!!!Wonderful pure electric guitar music. Don't ever stop playing this stuff!!!

Elantric

Thanks!!

QuoteYOU HAVE TONE FOR DAYS!!!!

Its all in the fingers ;)

For many - this is a flashback of the sights and sounds early california "instrumental folk music "

(I'm on far right)

Rig used : Xavier JTM-100 "Jazzmaster clone", 'early 60's Fender Tube Reverb (once owned by Strawberry Alarm Clock),  Barber Tonepress compressor, Roland Cube 80XL on BlackFace (Twin) setting

Toby Krebs

Oh I know which one you are. Playing this kind of stuff requires a good amount of hand strength as well.Very hard to play in a trio especially. Almost a chord melody type of playing but as applied to rock chordal motion as opposed to jazz changes. My father -in-law played with Dick Dale in his early days and ran around with Wayne Charvel back in the day long before he started his guitar company.They spent  time together  building hot rods. His name is Mel Anderson. He left music and started a family and became a graphic designer right before the music thing exploded. Talented keyboardist and guitarist and Model A restorer LOL! I will send him a link to this video. He still lives in the So. Cal. area.
Elantric you are fun to watch as well as listen to. Rock and Roll is a performance thing as well as a playing thing and you communicate the fun you are having to the audience. That is the singular goal and the reason why we play the guitar. To share the enjoyment of it with an audience. Nicely Done!

Elantric

QuoteElantric you are fun to watch as well as listen to. Rock and Roll is a performance thing as well as a playing thing and you communicate the fun you are having to the audience. That is the singular goal and the reason why we play the guitar. To share the enjoyment of it with an audience. Nicely Done!

Hey thanks for the kind words.
Since we are both in California - maybe we could get together for a beer and jam sometime ;)

Toby Krebs

Yes I would dig that! I will PM you when I am coming to the area for a visit with my wifes family. They range from Santa Clarita to Yucaipa which is near Redlands.We also go to Disneyland from time to time. If I could score a ticket to the NAMM show we could hang out there. I have only been once about 15 years ago and man did I enjoy that! Hard to get a ticket here as I don't work at a music store.
One more thing about your playing in the video. It is also very difficult to get and keep an audiences attention when playing guitar instrumentals and you do it very well. Although I am a lead vocalist my favorite music is and has always been instrumental. Dick Dale-Jeff Beck-Joe Pass-Eric Johnson are all players who play fascinating instrumental tunes. The essence of guitar coolness is a good guitar melody played by a good player! Singing keeps me employed though so I keep doing it LOL!

feelnofret

Fascinating bio! Seriously, truly impressed over here.

Elantric

Trust me, we have many other members here at vguitarforums  who surpass my accomplishments.
Welcome aboard!

Toby Krebs

@ Elantric- As one of my teachers used to say-"Don't sell yourself short"-he was and still is an amazing jazz pianist and R&B vocalist.
"No one else can do what you can do, with what you have been given"-Steve Lukather.
These are a couple of things I keep in mind when playing learning and teaching.

tekrytor

Quote from: Elantric on September 05, 2013, 07:59:44 PMTrust me, we have many other members here at vguitarforums  who surpass my accomplishments.

WALSTIB comes to mind when reading your fascinating bio. A lifetime following the dream is just a fantasy for most people. As a frustrated wanna-be musician with over 30 years slaving away by day at a hot mouse and keyboard... I'm envious and read almost every Elantric word here on the forum to learn what I can from your experience. I too want to say thank you for generously sharing your time, energy and knowledge with the throng. "We're not worthy!" %) and very happy you're here.
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

Elantric

QuoteWALSTIB comes to mind when reading your fascinating bio.
Had to look it up
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=WALSTIB

"What A Long Strange Trip It's Been"
Indeed  - what a long strange trip its been - and on going.

You are welcome!

I am a firm believer of settings your course in life to always  follow your passions and lead by example.
Glad you enjoy my posts, as much as I enjoy being exposed to all the permutations of how others use these tools for creative expression.

I'm currently performing again as guitarist in The Kristen Black Band
https://plus.google.com/108300001383438096043/posts

Elantric

I had the good opportunity to see Living Color as opening act for Joe Satriani. It was a great show and afterward I met Vernon Reid and we discussed his live rig and VG99. Vernon personally wanted me to thank Marc Benigni for his GR55 TouchOSC control template for iPad. And all the great advice and ideas he gets from reading all the posts here at VGuitarForums.

whippinpost91850

Meeting Vernon, Had to have been very cool

Elantric

I'm back in a Studio cutting tracks for a new CD release for the Kristen Black Band  - Been working with a great Drummer (Jeffrey Perkins), and playing some very funky stuff for someone as pale as I. 
http://www.paulthorn.com/bio/band.html
http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EvArtistDetail.Page?ActiveID=3551&ArtistId=42739&sid=3a9fe5b6-49e1-4c74-8650-9f19ae413bf0

amplayer

Like everyone else, I am very impressed with your bio.

The thing that most impresses me though, is the vast variety of careers you excelled in.
I'm sure you worked very hard to make all those career changes/choices, but reading about it makes it sound like it was effortless.

amplayer

Quote from:  Elantric on March 20, 2014, 11:23:55 AM
Currently employed as "artist"

Hmm.  I'm a nerd myself.  I'd agree there is plenty of creativity involved.  I've never thought of layout as pure "art" though.

gumbo

Quote from: amplayer on March 20, 2014, 11:28:53 AM
Hmm.  I'm a nerd myself.  I'd agree there is plenty of creativity involved.  I've never thought of layout as pure "art" though.

...Art is from the heart...if what is happening is coming from inside you, then it's art...unmistakably.. ;)
...otherwise you might as well be a parking inspector..
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

amplayer

Quote from: amplayer on March 20, 2014, 11:28:53 AM

Steve,
I guess what I was getting at is this: Is your title really "artist", or is that just how you think about your current position?

Bill Ruppert

Steve I got scared that you were the one in the middle playing guitar!:-)
Than I scanned the pic with my eyes and saw the spring reverb and Cube amp.
I knew that was you.

Quote from:  Elantric on June 06, 2014, 08:21:26 PM

This was a fun event I played last week in Shell Beach California.