VG-99 Editor Using the Editor

Started by Elantric, January 23, 2008, 08:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

dead_lizard

Anyone got any ideas for improvements to the editor?

*I would like the knobs to be programmable to go from concentric to ummmm......whatever they call call the other way:) Someone else mentioned this, but my eloquence seems to have escaped me. Methinks I will be editing this post at a later date hahaha.

*It would be cool if you could select your own pictures for the individual guitars and amps. Or at the very least different pictures for each amp type (crunch, blues, wild crunch, and stack crunch all look the same???) Perhaps the active pickup could be highlighted as well?

Anything else?

jon_bondy

Has anyone else noticed that it takes the Editor about 1/10 the time to download all of the data from the VG-99 than it takes the Librarian?  I wonder what's up with that.

Given that the Editor has all of the patches loaded in memory, is there any easy way to save a patch, or all of the patches, rather than using the [clunky] librarian?

Thanks!

:)

Jon

fredo

I think that the editor does only download the patch names at first.
The actual patch content is only downloaded when the patch is selected.

A2theT

yup. both are the slowest in the industry.  IMO. ???
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

rdomain

I'd like the editor to include an editor for the FC-300 and especially in conjunction with Patch Mode.  Then all programming can be done through the editor.

chipstar

The ability to maximize the window to your screen size would be nice. The Editor window is quite small since there is no maximization option.

later,
Chipstar

s0c9

Anyone had Editor crash on them ?

Elantric

What version?

What OS?
What type PC?

s0c9

XP Pro..
Medion 3Ghz, 1.5Gb Ram.. Oodles of HDD space.. 400+ GB

AND.....
having fixed my Librarian speed problem, I'm willing to bet the crash was due to the same issues with connectivity I had with the librarian.. !!!
so... changed drivers on Editor to "VG99 CONTROL" and disconnected MIDI from VG99.
1000% faster... Patch list pops up immediately...
so Id had to be the USB/MIDI drivers I had been using..
Highly recommend folks use the USB 1.0.0 drivers... BOTH sets of software will use them instead of MIDI - very happily.. !!

Billy Kaffadrin

A big edit window with movable control objects for the G300 synth model.  Maybe for other synth models too, like a VST instruments edit window. 

The signal flow isn't entirely self evident - near as I can tell - in the Editor graphics either.  It would help.  If I select "Guitar only" as a source for a sub out, it doesn't show the signal path how it gets there. 

And I hate the bit where the editor shows you a tease of the back patches in the effects section, but then I can't turn it around! What would be cool is it was setup lie reason, with a backpanel I/O view, that includes effects units AND the MIXER!  And being able to have a selectable Mixer Effects, to be able to replace delay reverb dynamics , patching in any other available effect - or an external effects loop as well. But as there are limited inputs into the VG99, they might have to use the digital I/O to accomplish a external stereo effects loop.

Billy

ktat

I find myself with so many windows open that it becomes a real pain.  I use Logic all the time, and I certainly appreciate the all in one window approach.  It would be great to have tabs for all the effects and amp modules in the chain that you could click and have open, much like the mixer, sample editor, or piano roll windows in Logic.

KT

cynegetic

How about not having some of the menus so long that I wouldn't have to try and scroll my mouse to some mythical spot that resides about 2 feet lower than the desktop that my monitor sits on.

TygermanGB

Its great to have an editor on the PC. Its a vast improvement over using the box's tiny screen.

However, as a software professional I can say with authority "you don't let artists design screens" Setting up this unit is a big job and you need a real interface for it. That means lots of ugly grids. Grids with editable rows one for each patch and sets of columns like all the controller settings or all the delay settings. These grids should cut and paste in columns and rows. A pivot table report will all the settings would do it and would be an easy job.
The dials are a horrible interface for setting numeric values and none of the fields are directly editable, you have to open a little text box first which aren't masked properly.
With 200 patches and umpteen hundred settings the interface is not up to the task. It does look pretty and its better then nothing.
-Ty
Parker Guitars - VG-99, VG-8ex, GR-55, GP-10, US-20 and Bidule/Mobious/Jamstix NI for soft synths

TygermanGB

I'm on XP with 1.0.1 editor and the 1.0.3 on the box and mine crashes and so does the box. Mostly the VG-99 fails to communicate and has to be rebooted.
-Ty
Parker Guitars - VG-99, VG-8ex, GR-55, GP-10, US-20 and Bidule/Mobious/Jamstix NI for soft synths

Paresh

same here...XP, Dell Inspiron laptop
paresh

Elantric

Have you selected the MIDI devices on VG-99 Editor to "VG99 CONTROL" ?

What version XP??

XP with Service Pack 2  is preferred PC OS.

TygermanGB

I've got the latests MS patches and service packs and yes set to VG-99 control.
-Ty

Elantric

Elantric

Laptop or Desktop?

Any other MIDI Interfaces in use?

Paresh

Yes: XP home (not sure what 64 is?), sp2, no other midi cables pluged in,VG99 CONTROL is selected
paresh

Elantric

Paresh

paresh

Elantric

Some Motherboard USB Chipsets have issues  - often simply getting a cheap USB PCI card solves this problem for some. 

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=AUA-4000C-BULK&cpc=SCH

Elantric

Also it may not be obvious - but if you are running the VG-99 editor, Do not touch any controls on your VG-99. Only navigate and use the controls on the VG-99 Editor. For example if i start spinning my VG-99 Jog wheel, while I'm connected to the VG-99 Editor - sure it crashes. Thats to be expected.