VG-99 - imac frequently drops connection to vg

Started by stringtheory, March 03, 2011, 09:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stringtheory

hello all and greetings - i am new to the vg-99, had a vg-88 for many many years, and i am pretty conversant with computers & gear.

i recently purchased a used vg-99 in excellent condition, it sounds great and i am loving it. i've installed the latest drivers on my imac and the latest versions of the editor and librarian software.

the problem is that i regularly and frequently lose the usb connection to the vg-99. i can load/edit two or three patches at most, and then i get the message about connection problems and i have to power cycle the vg and restart the programs in order to continue working.

i've done some searching here for similar problems, and as a result, i just reinstalled the driver, which helped a bit - i had only been able to load one patch before the connection failed, now i can do 2 or 3. and, i have the usb cable plugged directly into the imac.

i don't see that this is a common problem...anyone have any ideas?

my system is an imac dual 2.4G, 4G ram, system 10.5.8.

thanks!

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group stringtheory!  :)

I had an iMac that had a bad USB bus and would do some of the same things you are describing. It would even drop the keyboard connection as it got worse. I would try it out on another computer and cable to see if it still exhibits the same issue.

Elantric

Be sure you plug the VG-99 directly to a USB port on the iMac, and not a USB Hub, or USB port on the back of the keyboard.

stringtheory

thank you for the suggestions - i'd already switched to a new usb cable and plugged it directly into the imac. will try with my macbook and see if the problem is the imac - or at least, something about my imac setup.

a little more info - the problem seems to be more with the librarian than the editor, and really only happens when the librarian and the editor are both running.

s0c9

Quote from: stringtheory on March 08, 2011, 10:17:45 AMa little more info - the problem seems to be more with the librarian than the editor, and really only happens when the librarian and the editor are both running.
You should not run both together, and I suspect this is causing your problem, since they are both competing for the same connection to the VG99.  I suggest running one or the other alone, for a while, and see if the issue clears. If it does, then you know the solution :)