FC300 - to control a Roland SPD-S Drum sampling pad module?

Started by mostlyjazzer, August 15, 2014, 09:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mostlyjazzer

Greetings everyone.

In an attempt to use the storable loops on the SPD-S percussion sampling pad, using a foot control,and that
I'm trying to avoid buying a looper rc-50 or other type of looper pedal,
(because I already own a SPD-S that can store many loops on many patches),

and also the fact that I own a Roland FC-300 midi pedalboard;

! was wondering if that FC-300
could be used to enable a start/stop command on given pad(s) on a given patch of the SPD-S.

So for example patch number 1
has a bassline loop on pad 1,
and a percussion loop on pad 2 etc..

and by pressing a particular pedal on said pedalboard (FC-300) I could control the play/stop function of any pads (limited by the amount of footswitches of the FC-300 of course (5 + 2 CTRL switches).

Is this doable? Is a play or stop command possible to execute from a midi pedalboard to the SPD-S?

I appreciate your opinions/experience and also alternatives if you know of any.

shawnb

Short answer: yes (95% confidence).   You can program the fc300 to send just about any midi sequence you can think of, even sysex.

I haven't done exactly what you're saying, though, so you'd need to check the fc300 section of the forum to help find the manual & read up.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.msg57#msg57

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

mostlyjazzer

Thanks for the reply shawnb. Looks like I first need to build some familiarity with the midi protocol, and then see the particualrs on both devices.