Fishman Triple Play

Started by samandlyn, July 02, 2012, 04:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samandlyn

Since Elantric first mentioned this I have been waiting excitedly for it.
Could Elantric or others who know about it answer this:
I understand it will interface with the DAW on your pc, but what about using it for live playing , without having to use a laptop?
How will it interface with a mixer and FRFR speakers etc in a live situation?

Thanks

Elantric

but what about using it for live playing , without having to use a laptop?

I understand the first released version of Fishman Trippleplay will ONLY work with a PC or Mac or rumor is it will work with iPad too.

Fishman Trippleplay  has a small USB dongle which acts as the wireless USB Class compliant MIDI receiver. Supposed to work without need for a USB driver on Win7 or OSX or IOS (iPad with CCK+ a powered USB hub)
http://www.fishman.com/articles/namm-show-2012-fishman-receives-multiple-awards-for-products-and

Later in mid 2013, a  2nd version of the Fishman Trippleplay will be released After the first version (estimate summer 2013 )
This version is supposed to be a floor unit, with a dedicated 5 pin MIDI Out jack - to feed hardware synths.
It will still communicate as a wireless MIDI link with the identical guitar mounted pickup and hardware as the first released version.

Of course the first version of Fishman Trippleplay with only the USB MIDI receiver dongle can work with hardware synths too  - But you will need a Mac or a PC.  At NAMM they were using a Macbook Pro and using the OSX built in Audio Midi Setup application to configure Fishman TripplePlay as MIDI Input Device , and feed a hardware synth using either a third party MIDI interface or a keyboard that supports MIDI over USB as the MIDi output device - simply using OSX built in Audio Midi Setup application.

They also used Apple Logic 9's built in Soft Synths

More about using OSX built in Audio Midi Setup application here:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov08/articles/applenotes_1108.htm

Elantric

QuoteHow will it interface with a mixer and FRFR speakers etc in a live situation?

It will not interface to a mixer or PA at all. Fishman TripplePlay is strictly a MIDI Control device - no internal sounds at all.

All proposed versions of Fishman TripplePlay will ALWAYS require an external sound module.

A year ago Andras Szalay hinted that one future version of Fishman TripplePlay may support a monophonic Wireless Audio link - for your normal guitar pickups - but this feature seems to have been shelved.

more here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3444.msg22947#msg22947
March 16, 2011, 01:52:04 PM »

Some recent correspondence with Andras Szalay, inventor of this new Fishman TripplePlay Wireless MIDI controller:
(from the Yahoo MIDIGuitar mail list)

<Andras Szalay wrote>
The new device has nothing to do with the Axon, neither hardware nor
software.

Andras Szalay

>One post I read brings up a good point, maybe I've missed it but will the
>wireless unit support a analog signal from the host guitar?

Problems with ground loop and digital noise are out of question, since the
guitar signal is totally isolated from the system. You couple the guitar
through the stompbox on the floor, which is the radio receiever as well. In
the stomp box a radio controlled relais turns the guitar on or off. The
relais guarantees that there is no noise and distortion introduced by
electronic switching, while it also isolates the guitar signal from the rest
of the system.

Andras Szalay

Sorry, it is not yet possible to answer questions about shipping and
pricing. Indeed, a first prototype was demonstrated a year ago, but believe
me that a hell lot of work has been done since then... and there is still
much to do.

Andras Szalay

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/midiguitar/

samandlyn

Hi Elantric,

Thanks for the detailed info , appreciate it.

I'm not a fan of having a laptop at a live gig ...

I'm sure the product has a lot of potential for the future though, as floorboard add ons become available.

Thanks

MPDmike

Doesn't look like there will be any version of this for piezos?   :(

Elantric

Correct.

This hold true for GK-3 users too. The Fisman employs is own  hex pickup, and it will want to be located exactly where the GK-3 wants to be.

I anticipate a thriving DIY world with many folk hacking their TripplePlay to allow its Wireless guitar to MIDI electronics to use existing GK-3 or Piezo pickup instead of the factory Fishman Pickup

Now_And_Then

Quote from: Elantric on July 09, 2012, 07:15:22 AMI anticipate a thriving DIY world with many folk hacking their TripplePlay to allow its Wireless guitar to MIDI electronics to use existing GK-3 or Piezo pickup instead of the factory Fishman Pickup

Why would they bother?

Elantric

QuoteWhy would they bother?

So we could feed a VG-99 via a 13 pin connection and the Wireless MIDI (via Trippleplay USB stick) to drive soft synths at the same time.

Pin

Quote from: Elantric on July 09, 2012, 11:07:30 AM
So we could feed a VG-99 via a 13 pin connection and the Wireless MIDI (via Trippleplay USB stick) to drive soft synths at the same time.

Yes the 13pin connection is something highly desirable for me as it would also enable me to drive hardware synths without the forthcoming (sometime) midi out Fishman floor unit. I suppose that either way round - midi floor unit and / or 13pin would suit my needs.

utensil

Quote from: Pin on July 09, 2012, 01:46:50 PM
Yes the 13pin connection is something highly desirable for me as it would also enable me to drive hardware synths without the forthcoming (sometime) midi out Fishman floor unit. I suppose that either way round - midi floor unit and / or 13pin would suit my needs.

What about using an iconnect midi to connect between the triple play usb receiver and hardware synths. I think those cost about $150 so with the proposed Triple play price should be around $300+$150=$450 which isn't too bad compared to many other midi systems considering your still wireless from the gear. It works without a computer attached.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the discussed floor unit would only be able to send a midi signal not the 13 pin so it would basically perform the same function as an Iconnect midi( maybe at a better price). I think their approach is pretty good cause it's usable by anyone with laptops, IOS devices and hardware synths this way, i.e the triple play focuses on converting guitar pitch to midi and doing it well.

Personally I hope they work on releasing an official internal version which can work with Piezo's. I'm sure its possible as the axon was designed by Mr. Szalay  for both and works beautifully with Piezo's or mags. Otherwise I'm going to be one of those DIY folk Elantric speaks of trying to mod the external unit.

Elantric

QuoteWhat about using an iconnect midi to connect between the triple play usb receiver and hardware synths.

YEs that might work - but ONLY if the TripplePlay USB Thumbdrive is indeed a USB Class Compliant MIDI device.

QuoteCorrect me if I'm wrong but I think the discussed floor unit would only be able to send a midi signal not the 13 pin so it would basically perform the same function as an Iconnect midi

Correct  - If you think about the architecture of the TripplePlay - you will see that a 13 pin output is not possible. The main feature of the TripplePlay Floor Unit will be to provide a USB Floor controller with assignable controls - rather like the Lodgidy unit here:
http://www.logidy.com/

QuotePersonally I hope they work on releasing an official internal version which can work with Piezo's.

I would assume this is indeed a correct assumption - after all Piezo Pickups are Fishman's principal business.

But they were emphatic that they wanted to target the first generation TripplePlay device as something a typical guitarist could install (rather like how Roland markets the external GK-3. I anticipate Fishman posting a How To Installation guide which will look similar to  this:

http://www.roland.com/V-Guitar/howto.html

alancarl

Hey Steve and other midi guitar fans,
     It good to see some current chatter about Fishman TriplePlay!
I got worried when I could not find it on their website a month or so ago.
My guess is they were tired of fielding phone calls and emails from all 19 hundred and sixty nine of us(my estimate of the number guitarists in the world waiting for the next step in midi Gtr that are dying to buy this thing yesterday)!
I really can't wait but I suppose we all have to wait...hopefully not too long though!
+ 1 Steve for already DIYing the TP to mult a hex pickup to the 13 awesome pin buss stuff...
Sight unseen hackage!
A true Celestial Traveler you are Steve!

Thanks,
Al

utensil

Quote from: alancarl on July 10, 2012, 08:50:38 PM
Hey Steve and other midi guitar fans,
     It good to see some current chatter about Fishman TriplePlay!
I got worried when I could not find it on their website a month or so ago.
My guess is they were tired of fielding phone calls and emails from all 19 hundred and sixty nine of us(my estimate of the number guitarists in the world waiting for the next step in midi Gtr that are dying to buy this thing yesterday)!
I really can't wait but I suppose we all have to wait...hopefully not too long though!
+ 1 Steve for already DIYing the TP to mult a hex pickup to the 13 awesome pin buss stuff...
Sight unseen hackage!
A true Celestial Traveler you are Steve!

Thanks,
Al

Hi Al, I think many of us are itching to get our hands on it the day it's released. I wonder if we could plan ahead for some kind of group buy. I guess it's still early for that.

You mention Steves tweaking of the the TP , this is the first I've heard of anyone being able to try any DIY, do you have any more info or links to Steves DIY work? Is it on this forum somewhere?

Pin

Quote from: Elantric on July 10, 2012, 06:21:22 AM
YEs that might work - but ONLY if the TripplePlay USB Thumbdrive is indeed a USB Class Compliant MIDI device.

Correct  - If you think about the architecture of the TripplePlay - you will see that a 13 pin output is not possible. The main feature of the TripplePlay Floor Unit will be to provide a USB Floor controller with assignable controls - rather like the Lodgidy unit here:
http://www.logidy.com/

I would assume this is indeed a correct assumption - after all Piezo Pickups are Fishman's principal business.

But they were emphatic that they wanted to target the first generation TripplePlay device as something a typical guitarist could install (rather like how Roland markets the external GK-3. I anticipate Fishman posting a How To Installation guide which will look similar to  this:

http://www.roland.com/V-Guitar/howto.html

If the Fishman Floor unit is a three way (or even four way) "any combination" unit like that Logidy that would suit me fine!

Would the Logidy unit itself work? I suppose the answer is the same for the iconnect - only if the Fishman USB device is fully class compliant?

rolandvg99

To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

alancarl

Quote from: utensil on July 11, 2012, 02:52:54 AM
Hi Al, I think many of us are itching to get our hands on it the day it's released. I wonder if we could plan ahead for some kind of group buy. I guess it's still early for that.

You mention Steves tweaking of the the TP , this is the first I've heard of anyone being able to try any DIY, do you have any more info or links to Steves DIY work? Is it on this forum somewhere?

Hi Utensil,
     I was remembering this quote from Steve:

Re: Triple Play delay?
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 12:37:46 PM »
Quote from: Elantric on May 20, 2012, 09:46:25 AM
My plan is use just one mounted hex pickup, but make an adapter so that one hex PU can feed both  GK-3 wart and Tripleplay guitar wart  - with the plan to take both further apart and integrate into an internally mounted design.  - with final result of have a guitar with one hex PU, a 13 pin output jack (to feed VG-99) and wireless MIDI to Tripleplay USB dongle feeding a laptop running softsynths 

Might do this on my JTV-69 Variax, and then install the Tronical Tune robot tuners for true pitch slide tunings -  just so I have something for show and tell at the next open mic night.

I was speaking a little in vaporware land...but I have no doubt that once any of us can get our hands on this thing the soldering irons will be fired up!
Thanks,
Al

utensil

Oh yeah , I saw that in another post as well, I hope he has success with it especially the internal fitting.  I'm sure fishman would have included the ability to adjust sensitivities slightly to account for various guitar styles and minor positioning variations.  If this is the case it would hopefully be flexible enough to work with another mag pickup.

In fact (and maybe Elantric can chime in on if this would be plausible) since pins 1-6 on a 13pin output carry the hex pickup output (I think they are pre-amped, equalized,processed)  maybe it would be possible to mod a 13 pin cable to connect pins 1-6 and grounds to the where the fishman mag connects (would require cutting the cable). This and 2  9v batteries to supply +7v and -7v on pin 12 & 13 to activate the built in GK internal board. Not sure if this would work , I think it really depends on how the triple play handles the outputted hex signals. If it works though it could be used with any 13 pin guitar and easily swapped.

I also remember reading somewhere that it will attach to the guitar using magnets to enable quick removal /attachment. Anyone have any info on this?

Elantric

My BIO here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=82.0

I design this type stuff for my day job

And I had a stint at Gibson debugging their 13 pin hex piezo guitar  - the Dark Fire
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=23

Re DIY Last year I was actively promoting a program for GR-55 owners where I woud modify a US-20 to provide A Guitar Input and Remote  footswitch control for S1 and S2 and even an FX Loop

I promoted this for 9 months as the "magic Box" mod, It was priced way cheap too $60 -$80

I had three total orders  - and it became more of a nuisance on my time and materials to mod these one at a time - so I ceased offeeing this mod service for now. But its rather basic and others are offering various versions of this same thing now.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6351.0

This thread is an unusual source for a Bridge Hex PU that could mount in your normal electric guitar
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3115.0

Suggest read my posts for more ideas.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=4

Re TriplePlay Many of your questions are answered in the Fishman TriplePlay Video

Go to the 9:25 minute mark and see that a Logidy MIDI footcontroller was employed to control with the Tripleplay on a Macbook Pro

In fact I think its best i lock this thread and continue the discussions in the Main TriplePlay Thread here

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5188.0