GR-55 - Major frustration... Just want to have everything run through my amp.

Started by Ukulelehughes, September 15, 2016, 03:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ukulelehughes

Hey guys, I'm a newb... a frustrated newb. :) I would like to set my system up to be all self contained. I would like to run all sounds through my bass amp. Is this possible?  Bass and synth all running through a one channel amp?

My goal is 1.) be able to use the GK switch in Bass-Mix-GK modes, with unprocessed signal set to the "Bass" selection (as of now I get nothing, even after reading posts in the forum) and 2.) be able to use the expression pedal to blend voices over the top of the bass signal.

Perhaps my logic is faulty, but I'm thinking that would be do-able.

Any suggestions? I've even wondered if I might have a faulty piece of hardware in this set up.

Ukulelehughes

Oops... I may have just found an issue. I'm using a bass I haven't played in a long time. Changed out the battery and it worked the other day. Seems there may be an issue when in active mode. Passive seems to be ok. Will have to approach this and try again to see if I get different results. Will post one way or another. Thanks guys.

bassman4d521

If I recall - most of the factory patches on the GR-55 do not have the normal pickup sound enabled.

Ukulelehughes

Hey guys me again. Here are some basic questions. I bought my GR-55 new and am wondering if it might be a faulty unit/pickup/cord.

As it stands right now, I do not get an unprocessed sound no matter what I do.

1.) Should I be able to use my bass' volume knob for the original bass sound and it run through the GR-55 unprocessed to my amp? (in essence just a pass through)

2.) Is the GK-3B pickup only used for "modeled" bass sounds, mixed "modeled" bass and synth, and straight synth?

I have noticed when using the 13-pin cord, it seems very very sensitive at the GR-55 input. It cuts out very easily and makes "shorted-out" sounds.

Being new to guitar synths, I am not sure exactly what it was supposed to do right out of the box. If it wasn't working correctly right out of the box, I wouldn't know.

Thanks for any suggestions.

whippinpost91850

Try cleaning the cable ends with Deoxit or simular.  Roland coats the ends with something befor shipping.  Just spray end and push in and out of jack

47Flyer

I've not used the GR-55 with a bass guitar but have logged many hours with it.  Check all of your wiring.  1/4 in out from bass to GK3 Pickup.  Then the un-processed sound of the bass will travel to the GR-55.  Most patches have the guitar pickups turned off but you can turn them on in the setup pages either globally or individually.  Also make sure that you set up the sensitivity of the GK-3.  There are posts on this forum that are very useful and will walk you through the entire process.  The moderators are very helpful and as long as you show an interest in learning then they are the best resource on Roland equipment that exists anywhere.  Dig into the manual with your GR-55 in front of you.  It is the best way to learn and hear the results of your efforts.  Sound glitches should be corrected after proper setup.  Drop outs and static can be corrected by De-oxing your 13 pin cable.  Best of luck with the GR-55.  I'd be lost without mine.

admin

My goal is 1.) be able to use the GK switch in Bass-Mix-GK modes, with unprocessed signal set to the "Bass" selection (as of now I get nothing, even after reading posts in the forum) and 2.) be able to use the expression pedal to blend voices over the top of the bass signal.

You must build "Normal PU " patches from scratch

most of the factory patches on the GR-55 do not have the normal pickup sound enabled.

gumtown

Try downloading and installing some of the bass mode patches here in the Forum's GR-55 Bass Mode patch section.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=84.0

Also you will need the GR-55FloorBoard editor software, recommended if you don't already have it..
https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/