[Assign1: Max] = Front
[Assign1: Source] = CC7
[Assign1: Source Mode ] = Moment
[Assign1: Range Low] = 0
[Assign1: Range High] = 127

then I sent the following to GR55 through MIDI with different CC7 values

B0 07 00. CC7 LSB
B0 27 7F. CC7 MSB.

But  nothing happen.  what did I do wrong?

thanks for advice!

ricky

gumtown

cc#7 is also patch volume, you need another cc# that the GR-55 does not directly use.

you only need to send MSB, in your example you are using cc#7 00 (min) and cc#27 7F (max).

B0 = cc# command send on channel 1
i would use cc#82 or so.

B0 52 00
B0 52 7F

hex 52 = decimal 82

List of Standard MIDI Continuous Controllers (CC's)
Here is a list of the standard MIDI continuous controllers. Use these controllers to manipulate your MIDI data to make the music more expressive. You use these to add expressive devices like add vibrato, add abrupt or gradual volume changes, add and control the amount of reverb, tremolo, and/or chorus, and so on. The most commonly used CC's are in bold typeface

For most controllers marked (on/off) controllers, on=127 and off=0. For all others, the higher the value, the more intense the effect is.

Note: Not all synthesizers respond to all CC's. There should be a list in your synth manual. It's usually in the back and it is usually called the MIDI implementation chart. If you don't have the manual or can't google one, try a few to see if they work. If you find this page helpful, feel free to link to it.

CC number and Description

0 Bank Select (MSB)
(followed by cc32 & Program Change)
1 Modulation Wheel
2 Breath controller
4 Foot Pedal (MSB)
5 Portamento Time (MSB)
Only use this for portamento time use cc65 to turn on/off
6 Data Entry (MSB)
if you follow cc100=0 & cc101=0 this is pitch bend range
7 Volume (MSB)
Note: CC7 and 11 both adjust the volume. Use cc7 as you would the control on the amplifier - set it and leave it at the beginning of the MIDI track
8 Balance (MSB) Some synths use it
10 Pan position (MSB)
11 Expression (MSB)
Note: CC7 and 11 both adjust the volume. Use cc11 for volume changes during the track (crescendo, diminuendo, swells, etc.)
12 Effect Control 1 (MSB)
13 Effect Control 2 (MSB)
14 Undefined
15 Undefined
16 Ribbon Controller or General Purpose Slider 1
17 Knob 1 or General Purpose Slider 2
18 General Purpose Slider 3
19 Knob 2 General Purpose Slider 4
20 Knob 3 or Undefined
21 Knob 4 or Undefined

22-31 are undefined, available for use by synths that let you assign controllers.

32 Bank Select (LSB) (see cc0)
33 Modulation Wheel (LSB)
34 Breath controller (LSB)
36 Foot Pedal (LSB)
37 Portamento Time (LSB)
38 Data Entry (LSB)
39 Volume (LSB)
40 Balance (LSB)
42 Pan position (LSB)
43 Expression (LSB)
44 Effect Control 1 (LSB) Roland Portamento on and rate
45 Effect Control 2 (LSB)
46-63 may be in use as the LSB for controllers 14-31 in some devices, but I have not seen one yet.
64 Hold Pedal (on/off)
Nearly every synth will react to 64 (sustain pedal)
65 Portamento (on/off)
66 Sustenuto Pedal (on/off)
67 Soft Pedal (on/off)
68 Legato Pedal (on/off)
69 Hold 2 Pedal (on/off)
70 Sound Variation
71 Resonance (aka Timbre)
72 Sound Release Time
73 Sound Attack Time
74 Frequency Cutoff (aka Brightness )
75 Sound Control 6
76 Sound Control 7
77 Sound Control 8
78 Sound Control 9
79 Sound Control 10
80 Decay or General Purpose Button 1 (on/off) Roland Tone level 1
81 Hi Pass Filter Frequency or General Purpose Button 2 (on/off) Roland Tone level 2
82 General Purpose Button 3 (on/off) Roland Tone level 3
83 General Purpose Button 4 (on/off) Roland Tone level 4
91 Reverb Level
92 Tremolo Level
93 Chorus Level
94 Celeste Level or Detune
95 Phaser Level

It's probably best not to use the group below for assigning controllers.?
96 Data Button increment
97 Data Button decrement
98 Non-registered Parameter (LSB)
99 Non-registered Parameter (MSB)
100 Registered Parameter (LSB)
101 Registered Parameter (MSB)

It's very important that you do not use these no matter what unless you want to invoke these functions
120 All Sound Off
121 All Controllers Off
122 Local Keyboard (on/off)
You might actually crash your keyboard if you use this one.
123 All Notes Off

You typically don't want your synths to change modes on you in the middle of making a song, so don't use these.
124 Omni Mode Off
125 Omni Mode On
126 Mono Operation
127 Poly Operation
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

prsrick

thanks for the answer.
Before I got your response,  I have already got it working by using CC27 which only use 1 byte followed by the CC7 command.

the things that puzzle me is. I saw the example on youtube by one of our forum member using CC7.

And I can also use CC7 sending from IPad Midi Monitor. And it also worked.

It will not work if I send my own hex bytes from my Music Sheet App unRealBook,  so I thought may be it the MSB,LSB order problem.

any one has any idea at all?

gumtown

So you have your GR-55 assign setup like..
Assign 1***********
[Assign1: On/Off] = On
[Assign1: Target] = Modeling E.GTR Cla-ST,Mod-ST PU Select
[Assign1: Min] = Rear
[Assign1: Max] = Front
[Assign1: Source] = CC#27 Midi Controller
[Assign1: Source Mode ] = Moment
[Assign1: Range Low] = 0
[Assign1: Range High] = 127

and you send cc#27 on channel 1 like this..
B0 1B 00 = Rear pickup
B0 1B 7F = Front pickup
B0 1B 40 = Centre pickup
B0 1B 20 = R + C pickups
B0 1B 60 = C + F pickups

you only send a 7bit data,
B = cc# send
0 = channel 1
1B = cc#27
00 to 7F = data (controller 7 bit value)

EDIT: a colossal idea  :o a micro controller chip hooked to a 5 position strat pickup selector switch which sends system exclusive data to change GR-55 modeled pickups.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

QuoteEDIT: a colossal idea   a micro controller chip hooked to a 5 position strat pickup selector switch which sends system exclusive data to change GR-55 modeled pickups.

Let me know if you need help to make this a reality - Select a suitable PIC and I'll get started on the PC Board.

But why stop there?

I've previously stated my desire to make a replacement GK-3 PC board, that DIY users could swap out the old Roland board and install the new "Smart GK-3 board" make it fully hardware backward compatible with a
"stock GK-3 mode" 
but also provide a new
"smart mode", that can interface with Strat 5-way switches and more control Pots  - or even more controls  - like two small 4 way joysticks (like an X-Box Controller)  could be incorporated on the guitar for further MIDI Control of the 8 assignable GR-55 controllers right on the guitar. - use the existing "S1, S2" GK-13 pins #10 & #11 for a cheap bi-directional multi-drop communication protocol - rather like RS-485. 

Maybe this could interface with your GK-IO project at the other end of the 13 pin cable - with a new 5 pin MIDI Out - so the "Smart GK-3 board" equipped guitar could also control lots of other gear via assignable MIDI CC# commands.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7852.0

BTW - the desire for a 5-way PU Select for GK /VG Users goes way back - with arcane but working implementations -
details here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=45.0

Jan, 2008
<Ed Manning wrote>
In an earlier post I outlined how I intend to fit a new 5-way switch
to my piezo and GK3 equipped guitars. This is for both an improved
range of ordinary pickup sounds and (mainly) to be able to use the 5-
way to switch between VG pickup positions like a normal guitar.

I'm fitting a 4-pole 5-way switch. One of the poles will be switching
a small bank of 2K2 ohm resistors. The sum resistance (relative to
ground) will go to the rear/external controller input of the VG-99
(or earlier) via the unused pin/wire in the GK cable.(Pin #9)

Each switch position corresponds to an EV7 pedal position and so is
easily assigned to the pickup switch position parameter in the VG.
Of course it could be assigned to any VG parameter.

The above involves minimal wiring within any VG unit, just one wire (Spare pin #9)
from the GK input socket to the external controller jack.

Source for 4-pole 5way Switch

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs/Super_Switch.html

Watch for plans on how to implement this great idea!

gumtown

Been giving this more thought in a rather 4 dimensional mannor.
Try to cover everyones needs from all different angles, this could split into two paths here.
The GK-Kit replacement (assuming it is the internal Kit and not the GK-3) sounds like a fantastic idea.

Initially first looking at a 'drop in' into a strat which either uses the GK-3 or internal Kit, connecting to the tone side of the 5 way PU selector (or it could also work on a Gibson style 3 way too), one tone pot can be used across the Normal PU guitar out, the spare tone used as a rotary controller.
Most Joe-Blo's won't want to be modifying GK cables and VG/GR units and such, so a cheep miniture RF transmitter in the guitar using a small 8 pin pic (12F675) allowing 3 pins for 5 way PU selection and two A/D rotary pot controllers (or a 4 axis joystick).

These are the RF modules I have used in other pic micro projects (band lighting), they are common and cheep as chips.

The small one (transmitter) is the size of a finger-nail, coupled direct to the pic and a 5v regulator and cap would be the only on-board components required inside the guitar, and could be powered by a 9volt battery which would last for years with careful sleep-mode design of the software. (wakes up - measures pots and switches - if no change go to sleep) the transmitter would send data (when required) at 1200 baud to the receiver box on the floor which would conver the 1200 baud data to midi (and maybe acouple of foot switch buttons thrown in too).

This would eliminate the need to interfere with any GK wiring at all.

Edit: maybe the 16F677 pic with more inputs for knobs and buttons.

Elantric

Brilliant as usual!

To quote a variation on a StarTrek Next Generation phrase:

Lets make it so!

prsrick

thanks that what I did, CC27 works now with both sending from my app and also Softstep.
Just that CC7 does not work by sending the same sequence of HEX bytes.

gumtown

Rorster

Look out! Gumtown and Elantric are fusing their brain power!  This may quite likely cause an unexpected surge overloading the sum total galactic energy capacity resulting in a super novic Gamma Ray Burst!