Godin Multiac Spectrum SA (steel) - i just got !

Started by chrisnickey64, January 16, 2016, 04:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisnickey64

i just made a score i hope ....$900 +shipping  3 months old ..plastic still on the access covers on the back. i just spent a few hours playing it thru a marshall as 50 amp it sounds really nice ....the action is a bit stiff but i'm going to change the strings to nickel wound d'adario 10's and see if that's better . just wondering if anyone else has a steel string multiac and if they like them .....and most importantly am i going to like this guitar?  this is my first Godin guitar and second Synth access guitar (the first being a $149  Epiphone  Les Paul special w/ a GK pick up on it which i hated and it tracked really shitty ) can i expect better synth tracking performance w/ this guitar? thanks guys  ???

Elantric

Congratulations!

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinmultspectrump.htm
Multiac Spectrum Steel SA
The renowned electro-acoustic Multiac series gets a new steel string model with the addition of the Multiac Spectrum SA. It features a new larger mahogany body design, Seymour Duncan Lipstick pickup in the neck, Custom Godin electronics along with separate tone and volume controls for the Lipstick pickup, as well as 13-pin capabilities for computer & synth access.

That model recent Godin will have RMC Piezo saddles and electronics
In regards to setting it up for 13 pin Gear - be sure to read these threads on other Steel string Godins with RMC Piezo saddles and electronics

Godin xtSA
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3912.msg26426#msg26426

Godin LGX-SA / LGXT
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142.0

OldGuitarDude

Hi chrisnickey64,

I have a Multiac Spectrum SA and use it with my GR-55 frequently. Last night I put a set of D'adario 10's on it and this afternoon did a 4-hr gig, using it in place of my lgxt. Our drummer recently bought a Cajon so we did an "unplugged / lite" variation of our regular setlist at a local beach bar and the Multiac provided a much better visual appearance than the solid-body. There's a thread on this forum about "listening with their eyes."
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4900.0

The 10's worked fine for me and I'll keep using them for the time being, but the heavier gauge strings have their own strengths too.

The RMC piezos track well, provided your guitar and synth (GR-55 in my case) are set up properly. There is a lot of really good information here (thanks ShawnB and Jim Williams) that will most definitely help you get your gear dialed in as good as possible, and you will probably need to tweak your playing style for best results.

Godins are very nice guitars. I think you'll be happy with it, depending on what your expectations are. I would also suggest revisiting the Epiphone LP /  GK setup. You should be able to achieve decent results with everything (guitar and synth) calibrated properly.

Good luck on your journey!

OldGuitarDude

gvidelock

+1 for all of OGD's statements.

I use my Spectrum in my acoustic duo with the GR-55. I add strings or choirs and bass behind my finger picking. I feed one output to the mixer and the other to my partner's vocal harmonizer.

I did use my Spectrum this weekend at a bar gig with my GP-10 for a first "quiet" set. It worked very well both as an acoustic guitar and with my electric guitar patches that I normally use with my GK-3 equipped Strat (which I switched to for the last 2 sets). All run directly into our PA only (no personal amp for me on this gig).

I'm currently using the Godin recommended Jazz Light strings (EJ21) - .012 to .052 - and they play well and sound great to me.

...Gary
-------------------------

Godin Spectrum SA
Godin Freeway SA
Fender Telecaster with Ghost and Hexpander
Fender Stratocaster with internal GK3 with Synth-Linx
Warmoth custom with internal GK3
Boss SY-1000
Roland GR-55
Roland GP-10
Katana 100W Head

chrisnickey64

got the guitar last week ...the action was so stiff it hurt my hands ...switched to 11's and was getting buzz all the way up the neck...took it to my luthier and had him set it up and turn the truss rod no i come to find  that the g string goes sharp at about the 7th fret . he says that he can't remedy the intonation problem because of the RMC pup saddles being unadjustable..... ....says it's a design flaw .....WTF? a design flaw w/a 1800 dollar guitar... i guess i'm selling this and won't buy another godin guitar ....overpriced and underwhealming.... >:(

Hippolytus126

Quote from: chrisnickey64 on February 18, 2016, 10:47:32 AM
got the guitar last week ...the action was so stiff it hurt my hands ...switched to 11's and was getting buzz all the way up the neck...took it to my luthier and had him set it up and turn the truss rod no i come to find  that the g string goes sharp at about the 7th fret . he says that he can't remedy the intonation problem because of the RMC pup saddles being unadjustable..... ....says it's a design flaw .....WTF? a design flaw w/a 1800 dollar guitar... i guess i'm selling this and won't buy another godin guitar ....overpriced and underwhealming.... >:(

Hey there, I'm interested in this intonation story... Seems like I should be avoiding the godin multiac spectrum SA. Is this the one with the compensated offset rmc saddles (see attached pic). Or are these saddles in-line straight? It seems odd that the compensated rmc equipped saddles, which are compensated for a reason still would have an intonation issue? And that for $1800?

Hippolytus126

Interesting. So, I'm interested in using it mostly for acoustic purposes. So can I assume if you would be using a custom light 11-52 set of D'addario's acoustic strings, hich has a wound G, this would be remedied? Thanks for the info

kenact

Quote from: Hippolytus126 on July 02, 2021, 02:26:14 PM
Hey there, I'm interested in this intonation story... Seems like I should be avoiding the godin multiac spectrum SA. Is this the one with the compensated offset rmc saddles (see attached pic). Or are these saddles in-line straight? It seems odd that the compensated rmc equipped saddles, which are compensated for a reason still would have an intonation issue? And that for $1800?

If your G string saddle is in line with the E & B string saddles, the intonation is set for a plain string, as on my A10. If the G string saddle is aligned with the E, A, & D strings, the intonation is set for a wound G.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7