Other piezo options (not graphtech or RMC)

Started by KeldAmpworks, April 18, 2014, 02:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeldAmpworks

What's out there?

I have a guitar with a graphtech ghost system and a guitar with a GK2a, both feeding a GR55.

I've got a homebuild guitar that I'd like to hex-ify. I don't want a mag pickup - I'm willing to live with the piezo shortfalls for the sake of not spoiling the guitars good looks (and I have to say it looks pretty!).

I can't use ghost because the guitar is a hardtail string through ST style - there's no convenient way of grounding the strings.

RMC prices are beyond what I can justify when I own 2 perfectly good guitars. I could stretch to the ST pickups at £210, but the £230 polydrive and £67 shipping and bank overheads break me.

Are there any other retrofit piezo systems with conductive saddles?

Elantric

QuoteI can't use ghost because the guitar is a hardtail string through ST style - there's no convenient way of grounding the strings.

Actually you can use Ghost on a Hardtail Strat - when you take the guitar apart - there is an existing factory string Ground Wire already there sitting under the Bridge plate - verified with an ohm meter.

Review the typical Ghost saddle install process - it requires drilling 6 piezo wire feed thru  holes in the hard tail Strat Bridge plate ( just like a Variax 500 / 300) and some minor wood routing under the Bridge plate, to feed these wires into the control cavity under the pick guard.

Contact and RMC PU Installer - most can install Ghost too and know the procedure and how t\o do a clean install.
http://www.rmcpickup.com/authorized_installers.htm

Variax pics are here
http://www.vettaville.com/variax-photos.htm

KeldAmpworks

Hi,

Thanks, but this is a home build ST hardtail, no pickguard, bridge is grounded, but strings won't touch bridge with the graphtech teflon saddles.

Are you saying that variax pickups might work?

Elantric

I'm saying that the strings on a typical hard tail strat typically always touch/ make electrical contact with the Bridge plate, as they pass through the body  = string ground
So Graphtech saddles are no problem.

Post a pic of your guitar.