GK-3- Just picked up a GR-55, where to get started?

Started by blindjammer2015, April 24, 2015, 11:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blindjammer2015

I've been digging around the forums and reading all the info I can on the gr-55, to decide whether I wanted to buy it or not. Seems the general verdict is that most people around here seem to favor the vg-99 because it does more? However, for my own purposes and from the recording demos I've seen, the gr-55 provides more or less all I need. I finally picked one up today at my local music shop here in Vancouver, and am now paying off the balance in monthly installments. I've poured through the documents and forum topics, but I seem to have reached my first obstacle, installing the gk-3 pickup. I've read all the guides, but not being much of a gear guy and not having had much experience changing things on my guitar around, this process still seems a little daunting for me. Images and videos are useful, but since I have no vision with which to see what people are doing exactly and descriptions tend to be vague at best, It's difficult to know what is what. I'm mounting the pickup on an ESP LTD h-401fm that I've been playing for the last three years or so, and it's a wonderful guitar. I've read every installation guide I've been able to find, but am not exactly sure which pieces go where. If anyone is willing to give a newbie a hand, it would be very appreciated! Once again, I'm not asking out of ignorance since I've read pretty much every topic I could find where these questions were answered, but since there seem to be no instructions that relate to my specific type of guitar, I don't want to start removing screws for fear of messing something up. the music shop I went to, Long and Mcquade, has said that they could help me install it... but I'd rather not pay 30 bucks to have someone else do it if it can be helped! thanks and appologies for the flood of questions!

CodeSmart

I looked at pics of that guitar type, very good looking by the way, and from the photos I would use the Les Paul mounting plate that comes with the GK-3. You first screw the pickup onto the mounting plate, two tiny screws.

The plate has a kind of cable hook, align this upwards. GK pickup cable also goes upwards. Loosen the strings, lift up the sadle and put the holder in position, put back the sadle, adjust the string height because it will change. The distance between strings and GK-pickup should be pretty small. There's a small angled 'L'-shaped metal tool included to test the string distance with.

The GK wart itself is fitted using the larger plates and a screw at the edge of the guitar at location of the strap holder. Finally connect the guitar jack to the GK-3 using the short guitar cable that comes with the GK pickup and the GK-cable to the synth.

I really hope for you that the Les Paul plate fits. Perhaps other friends here will give you other suggestions.

My deepest respect to you by the way. I have a GR-55 and as you know it's very complicated even for a guy with vision. You rock blindjammer  8)
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Mrchevy

blindjammer2015, I don't have the time at this moment but with your circumstances, would verbal instructions, as in over the phone or Skype call, make it easier for you? I live in the U.S. EST. I could do this later this evening or tommorow ( Sunday ) afternoon. I could walk you thru the steps and explain as we go. This may prove to be challenging to a point as some of it could be done by feel, but setting parameters, you need to be able to see the meters on the GR55, to know if the levels are correct. With skype, I could watch your meter levels for you and instruct you on adjustments. Let me know if this would work for you and we can set something up. Are you 100% blind or just partially blind to where you have ability to see, but not clearly. I use to play with a keyboard player who was legally blind, but could see vague images, and I would assist him at times with settings and connections, but he could see meter levels. I have to work today but would be available this evening. 
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

blindjammer2015

Thanks to both of you for your replies! CodeSmart, those were good instructions, and I'll have another look today to see if I can't at least figure out where all the cable holders and whatnot are. Adjusting the string height will probably be the most challenging part, but not too bad, I don't think. And thanks for the respects... blindness isn't something that generally gets in my way, but at times like this it's definitely a bit of a hastle. Still, certainly not as much of a problem as most people think. :) But I'm looking forward to digging into my gr-55, and any help from anyone here with screens and menus is definitely going to make things much, much easier than trying to figure out everything on my own.

Mrchevy, that would be a huge help for sure... a skype call with someone who can watch levels and how I do things would definitely be useful, though since I have no proper webcam my iphone is the best camera we'll probably get. hahaha. And to answer your question, I have no vision at all. PM me with your schedule and let's see what we can work out in the next week or so... this weekend is a busy one for me. I appreciate your willingness to help!

Mrchevy

I have no schedule, it's always full, I just balance priority, desire, and procrastination to perfection.  ;D just let me know a few days ahead of time as I would need to set up a couple of things. I have used Skype in the past but don't keep it installed on my computer, and I would have to pry my daughters headset/mic from her cold dead hands. I don't guess I would need a camera on my end although I do have a couple of laptops with the feature if needed. My email address is in my profile. That would probably be the best communication format for getting things set up initially. Just let me know when or if you need help and we'll get it going.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones