Fender VG American Stratocaster problems

Started by talljoe, October 15, 2013, 06:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talljoe

Hi all, I'm new to the forum.

I have  year old VG Strat.

As soon as I bought it I noticed that it would spontaneously change tone while I was playing.   I took it back to the dealer who examined it and returned it to me with no explanation as to what may have been going on, but he did examine/clean/ensure connections were good.

Recently it's misbehaviour has got worse so I videoed the problems.  Spontaneous changing from 'accoustic' to 'humbucker', sitar on two positions, resonator on two positions etc.,  so I again took it back to the dealer who sent it to Roland.

Roland tested it and decided there was nothing wrong, despite the obvious video evidence.

So now I have a VG Strat that I can't trust.

Has anyone else had these problems ?  Any idea what I can do about it ?

Thanks, any comments appreciated.

TJ

TheGuitarPlayer

Well, I can't say I've heard of such a phenomenon, but they're can't be too many causes.

The most obvious cause (at least to me) would seem to be a short in either the 5-way pickup selector or the model selector switch.

If it's under warranty, demand to have it fixed. If you've got video evidence of it happening, they can't very well refuse. If they try to wiggle out of it with excuses such as not being able to diagnose the problem correctly, get them to start replacing components, starting with those two switches.

If it's out of warranty and your handy with a soldering iron, I'd start by replacing the switches myself (you should be able to get a suitable replacement for the 5-way switch easily, the model switch might be harder).  If you're not handy with soldering iron, I'd try and get an authorised Roland repairer to fix it.

Roland has a service centre in Richmond (http://www.roland.ca/default.asp?c=354) which I know is a fair hike from you, but you should be able to at least get in touch with them via phone. I'm sure they'd be able to give you further advice about how to get it repaired, including the location of an authorised repairer in your area.

Elantric

Sounds like a possible intermittent loose internal crimp pin on one of the white Single inline plastic header cables, or loose DSP board ground.

But if its a true "Fender VG Strat: - this is likely to be out of warranty, as most were made in 2007

The Fender / Roland G5 Strat was introduced in 2011, and might have a warranty -which is only 90 days labor/ 1 year parts for Roland US Warranty. These do not have the Fender 5 year warranty.

Quoteyou should be able to get a suitable replacement for the 5-way switch easily,

Look again  - this is what they look like inside,  - the 5 way switch is a Dual Gang type not used on normal Strats

Frankly the internal wiring on these are a mess. Without a service manual, nor wiring harness assembly diagram explains why most Guitar  techs hate working on them, as its all too easy to break something else , while taking the pick guard off for repairs.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5173.msg35440#msg35440

here's the typical "guts" for this model.
http://tomsguitarservice.blogspot.com/2010/10/vg-stratocaster.html

2007 era press video for the Fender VG Strat

Add the poor battery life that typically dies in middle of third set, and no 13 pin output or path for user Alt tunings or Editing COSM Guitar Models place the G5/ VG Strat on my not recommended list.

Machh_2

Try clean both selector switches with spray for contacts... maybe the contacts create oxidation and causes short on contacts pins...

But maybe can happen another problem:
Roland uses a micro eletrolitics capacitors, after some time in use, they leaking  eletrolito to circuit board, the eletrolito is corrosive and conductor eletricity... and causes processing problems...
I already fix some vg guitars with capacitors problems, and the problems was same than you are claiming...

try open the circuit and look for dark spots and if you feel a strong smell and bad capacitors in the circuit leaked ...

You will need wash the circuit with water and soap, no one other chemical product capable to clean , (alcohol, thinner, etc dont work) , wash, and put on sun to dry... after change all eletrolitic capacitors...
if all i say be confirmed, and you (or somebody) do the procedures, i believe your problems will be solved...

good luck

[]´s

Machh

talljoe

Thanks to you all.

Hope this can be resolved !

TJ

talljoe

RESOLVED ! !

Traded it for a GR 55 and GK3 which I put on another Strat.

Waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy better setup !

TJ

Now_And_Then

Quote from: talljoe on November 04, 2013, 04:58:48 PM
RESOLVED ! ! Traded it for a GR 55 and GK3 which I put on another Strat. Waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy better setup !

My solution would have been "Small Claims Court".

Mrchevy

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Toby Krebs

I have a 2007 VG strat on loan that I did a bunch of neck work to. It doesn't have any of these problems. It does go "blip blip blip[" when you change pickup selection when using the modelled sounds which I do not like. It's also heavy as hell. The battery thing blows although you can get a battery pack for it from Roland. The guitar cost one of my customers 1200 dollars.He bought it new. I played it for a few days after I finished all the neck work etc... on it and well...I don't know if I like it or not. I know that I don't love it. My son is recording with it because I just can't find a way to use it live. To change any of the settings on the fly during a song is almost impossible and their are other drawbacks for live use. I think it's another one of those strange Roland "what the hell were they thinking " products. Tis' a "Strange Bird" indeed.Your new setup will work well. Enjoy!

titopacheco

Hello everyone... I bought a 2nd hand Fender VG American Stratocaster mint condition by eBay a couple of months ago. The guitar was waiting for me at a friends house in Los Angeles until I visited the United States about one week ago. ... When I played it for a couple of minutes testing it, everything seems to be right, so I unplugged and packed it to get back to Chile. Once in Chile, I played it for a while with my band and suddenly the signal was interrupted for a split second, also changing the pitch (maybe changing the Roland "Modeling" signal)... This f***ing sh** happens all the time when the Roland system is activated (Modeling or Tone)... And believe me, this is really really unpleasant... What can I do?... Do you have any suggestion???... Here in Chile this guitar model never arrived, so there are no technical service for it... I'm really disappointed and sad for my purchase my friends, because I thought I was making a big acquisition, but clearly this wasn't the case.  Please let me know that not everything is lost... Thanks.

TITO

FreeTime

I wonder if its not a bad 13 pin cable. The last one I bought had something flaky with the +/-7V pins, it would unpredictable things. Does it do the same thing on all patches? Which GR/VG are you using ? Did you put the guitar into the cargo hold of the airplane ? Sometimes things get bumped around a bit and a ribbon cable might need re-seating. Good Luck.

vtgearhead

Love the photo, FreeTime.  I wonder if immediate recognition is a generational thing or if Leslie speakers are making a resurgence?

Elantric

no 13 pin cable on the VG-Strat with built in Roland COSM Guitar Modeling

Oxidized switch contacts are typical source of failures /glitchy operation

Gentle Caig De-Oxit application is required

FreeTime

Quote from:  Elantric on October 29, 2016, 03:24:22 PM
no 13 pin cable on the VG-Strat with built in Roland COSM Guitar Modeling

So many models, so little time.

QuoteLove the photo, FreeTime.  I wonder if immediate recognition is a generational thing or if Leslie speakers are making a resurgence?

Snhirsch, some things are just better un-reconstituted.

Elantric

QuoteSnhirsch, some things are just better un-reconstituted.

I agree - for another example - here's the worlds most expensive 70 millisecond max delay pedal 

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EBDelay/?utm_source=gearnet&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=gn20161102

aliensporebomb

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

adielricci

Hi!  Does any kind soul have the installation manual for the Fender VG?  A friend of mine has bought a pickguard and all the works, but some connectors have been cut, and we do not know where to attach the wires.  Any help will be really nice!

admin

VG Strat Wiring
https://web.archive.org/web/20150905162653/https://support.fender.com/service_diagrams/stratocaster/011-7500C_SISD.pdf

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1648.0