GR-55 exp pedal weirdness?

Started by Cricket, July 14, 2012, 12:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cricket

Question:  as of this am, my exp pedal seems to be weird.  For example, I have a patch where it is set up to cross fade, with upright bass at the heel, and modeled bass at the toe.  I can't recall changing any settings, but as of now, when I select that patch, both voices always come on at full volume until I move the pedal all the way up and down once.  Then it functions as it should (and used to).

A couple other patches have also started coming on at full volume, until the pedal is moved up and down, then it's normal.  This is new, weird, and annoying.

I tried recalibrating the pedal to no avail.  As far as I can tell, I haven't changed any settings... deliberately that is.  This seems to have developed on its own.  Not seeing much else in the manual.

Any ideas anyone?

Elantric

turn off Assign Hold

(see middle of this screen)

and watch

East Coast Blues Sensation Dan Doiron shows how to quickly assign multiple effects parameters to the GR-55's Expression Pedal. This feature is also found on the BOSS GT-100.

Cricket

Hi Elantric -

It is off.  Just went to double check.  Not sure what that means.  I created the patch almost a year ago and it's been fine... did exactly what I wanted til today.  Checked assign hold already and double checked it just now.  I suppose I could initialize and try again and see if that fixes it? 

Seems strange, though....

Brent Flash

Cricket

Thanks guys.

@Brent - That worked.  Why, I have no idea... whenever I've had this sort of thing happen before, it's been assign hold ON that was the problem.  I really haven't done any tinkering with my settings lately either... and I'm pretty sure it's been off the whole time.  Now it's on and the pedal is behaving again.

Well, who knows?  Thank you both.

Brent Flash

Quote from: Cricket on July 14, 2012, 01:12:58 PM
Thanks guys.

@Brent - That worked.  Why, I have no idea... whenever I've had this sort of thing happen before, it's been assign hold ON that was the problem.  I really haven't done any tinkering with my settings lately either... and I'm pretty sure it's been off the whole time.  Now it's on and the pedal is behaving again.

Well, who knows?  Thank you both.
If the patch is saved with the pedal in the middle and you have the ASSIGN HOLD off, that is the way it will recall. If ASSIGN HOLD is on it will recall looking at the current position of the pedal. ASSIGN HOLD carries the control over to the next patch selected. Hope this explanation will help you in the future.

Elantric

Its a lot to wrap your brain around - particularly if it fails at a gig.

Cricket

Thanks again.  I must have inadvertently resaved the patch or something else weird.  I just couldn't figure out how to put it right again.  I even checked, I thought, assign hold, though I checked to see that it was off.  Didn't try it the other way.  Didn't see anything much in the manual, and a forum search gave me nothing either.

Believe me, I'll be the first to blame myself before I blame the product.  I just couldn't figure out what I did.  A funny story:  back in the late 80s - early 90s, I worked for a company that made what were, for the time, fancy telephone answering systems.  We'd get lots of angry customers calling.  MY SYSTEM DOESN'T WORK!

90+% of the "problems" could be fixed by running through this catechism.  The trick was asking the questions without getting the customer even angrier:

1)  Is the system plugged IN?
2)  Is the system turned ON?
3)  Is the volume on the system turned UP?
4)  Did you take the tape that came with your system and put it IN THE MACHINE?

And there it is.

Elantric

Quote1)  Is the system plugged IN?
2)  Is the system turned ON?

Sounds like my last conversation with Dell Computer Support in India.

tekrytor

So, was it initialization or toggling assign hold or both that fixed the problem?
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

Cricket

Toggling assign hold on fixed it.  I didn't have to redo the patch.  Thing is, I can't think of any changes I would have made to the patch, unless I did something accidentally somehow.  Probably, but I can't think of what it would have been.  I've been using that patch, issue free, for about a year, and it isn't a complex one.

Gremlins... must be.

doha1696

Hi, here's my rig with the GR55
Dominik Hardy

http://fret-time.com

Elantric

Dominik  - Nice rig!

Question?
Do you have any issues using Gumtown's GR-55 Editor?

What platform  / OS Version do you use ? (Mac / Windows?  Win7 64? or OSX 10.7?

I ask because someone in this thread was having problems running Gumtown's GR-55 Editor when the language was set to French:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7259.msg50586#msg50586

doha1696

I have Mac OS 10.6.8 and I have no problems using the GR55 editor, it's a real cool soft, thanks to Gumtown... But maybe I have no problems because I use it in English.... I can try it in French to see if there's any problem coming. I'll do that when I'll be back home...
Dominik Hardy

doha1696

Don't know why my post is in this topic, I wanted to make it in the "Show your rig" topic.... :P
Dominik Hardy

jazman

I'm a newbie, and I just today started having the same issues with the exp pedal.  I use it in its simplest form - patch volume.  When the pedal is back, no synth.  Forward, full volume.  Now, when I change patches, some of them come on at full volume even though the pedal is all the way back.  If I give it a quick full throw, it will then work.  But, it didn't do this before today.  I checked that the assign hold was off, and it was.  Toggled it on and off to be sure, but the same issue occurs.  I know I don't understand the difference between the three pages of exp, exp on, and exp sw.  Something in there is probably it, but I think I've tried all the combinations, and it worked the way I wanted to before.
And now the "control" pedal is acting weird, too.  The LED won't light even though it has something assigned to it, or if there is something assigned, the LED and effect won't turn on and off - it's on all the time.  The GR-300 patch is a favorite, and initially, when the button was pushed, the LED came on, and the action assigned to it (up one octave) worked fine.   Now, the LED is on all the time, and I saved the patch (I thought) with the ctrl pedal off.  Now, on patch change the upper octave is default, and not what I musically want.
I've turned the whole thing off and on twice, and let it sit and "recover".  Now, it's happening with more and more patches being not what they were.  I haven't knowingly changed anything system-wide, and probably couldn't even if I wanted to.  Stranger and stranger . . . 
Thanks.

Brent Flash

Quote from: jazman on November 18, 2012, 08:09:09 PM
I'm a newbie, and I just today started having the same issues with the exp pedal.  I use it in its simplest form - patch volume.  When the pedal is back, no synth.  Forward, full volume.  Now, when I change patches, some of them come on at full volume even though the pedal is all the way back.  If I give it a quick full throw, it will then work.  But, it didn't do this before today.  I checked that the assign hold was off, and it was. 
If you want the exp pedal to follow where you have it when you change patches you will have to turn ASSIGN HOLD "ON". If you want the volume to change to the way you saved the patch regardless of where the pedal is set you need to tune ASSIGN HOLD "OFF". ASSIGN HOLD will carry the controller position to the new patch when it is set to "ON".

jazman

Thanks for the reply, and I almost understand it.  But, the result is the same.  Pedal back (off), still full volume until I move it thru its full motion.

Brent Flash

Quote from: jazman on November 19, 2012, 11:49:34 AM
Thanks for the reply, and I almost understand it.  But, the result is the same.  Pedal back (off), still full volume until I move it thru its full motion.
Then you have something set wrong in the ASSIGNs. Maybe multiple assigns targeting the same target, just make sure you have exp. pedal targeting the same target in each patch, no other controllers targeting that parameter, and have ASSIGN HOLD set to ON.

You may have the GK volume targeting the same as the EXP Pedal and that would screw you up. Or something like that.

jazman

Hey, BrentFlash, thanks so much.  I had the GK volume control set to patch volume, along with the pedal.  Turned the GK volume control to "off", and now the pedal controls all volume.  I now have it working back the way I wanted.  A patch change now follows the position of the pedal.  Hooray!!  Thanks again.  YouDaMan...

clinton beale

Roland are aware of the assign problems with 1.50 firmware , trouble is reverting back to the old firmware doesnt give altered tunings via midi etc they really need to sort this major major bug out ,and there has been no news at all .
as people get more advanced with the machine the problem will become more apparent, until it will annoy the hell out of you
Come on Roland this aint fair

gumtown

Quote from: clinton beale on February 18, 2013, 03:16:12 AM
Roland are aware of the assign problems with 1.50 firmware , trouble is reverting back to the old firmware doesnt give altered tunings via midi etc they really need to sort this major major bug out ,and there has been no news at all .
as people get more advanced with the machine the problem will become more apparent, until it will annoy the hell out of you
Come on Roland this aint fair
Can you elaborate more on Roland knowing there is a firmware problem with 1.50?
Was there a statement from them somewhere?
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

clinton beale

I contacted Roland UK with the assignment problem and this was their reply via email

I have had a chat with the Boss product manager and he ( and Japan ) are aware of the issues and are currently working on a solution /firmware update for this.

I will keep you up to date with any progress.

Elantric

QuoteI have had a chat with the Boss product manager and he ( and Japan ) are aware of the issues and are currently working on a solution /firmware update for this.

I do hope they resolve this. - But in the Roland/Boss vocabulary Ive had to learn that:
"currently working on a solution"
does not ever mean
"delivering a working solution

Bluemusic

With my GR-55 it has gotten bad enough that I really hesitate to play it live.  That's definitely not what I anticipated when spending this $.
Yes I have gone through both Assign Control ON and OFF and it makes no difference.  Certain patches will start full volume making it rather embarrassing on stage in a church when you suddenly have a full volume "GR-55 Fart".
People assume you are messing up and after hours of practice that's not the result you are looking for.
Kudos to them for getting some great sounds but c'mon guys...the hardware has to work reliably and not embarrass your customer.
Fix it.