Newbie Questions on the GI-10 / GI-20

Started by Skyze, December 26, 2011, 05:47:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyze

Hello, I am new to the synth world, been trying to research it but it is confusing to a newbie like me. I ended up picking up a GR-1 for cheap just to test out if Synth worked for me, and i've had some good results so far. Tracking was very smooth on it, could play at higher speeds too and everything was fine. I dislike the saxophone sounds on it though, which is why I want a synth in the first place, so looking at other options now.

My main dilemnia though, is fitting it's size into my setup. I could just get the GR-55, but honestly I dont want to carry around a pedalboard that is 3 feet long, or have another huge piece of metal to put ontop of an amp. I am willing to sacrifice a bit of tracking (as long as it is still managable) and even tonally if I can get something that'll fit in my setup. Hell, if the GR-1 was smaller, I'd be fine with that, but it suffers the same situation as the GR-55 does for me. GR-20 is smallest I saw so far, but looking at other options too.

I do use a rack as my head, but its only 4U and its full at the moment, so the Axon 100 is a possibility but I really dont want to get a bigger rack. But what got me thinking is if I can get a unit that is small enough to fit in the back of my rack, and run it to my MIDI controller up front. Thats ideal.

The GI-10 and GI-20 fit the bill in terms of size, but I don't know if they are considered a "complete" midi unit or if I need more stuff with it, like a pitch-to-midi converter or soundbank unit. I have the guitars with GK-3's (soon to be graphtech ghost system installed) - so I want to know what else I need to complete this setup before the amp/speaker.

Will a GI-10 or GI-20 be all I need? Or do I need anything else?

(to get an idea of my planned rig:)
- Guitar (GK-3 equipped) > GI-20 > Axe-FX > Poweramp > Cabinet - Roland FC-300 controlling it as pedal

Is there any unit outside of the Axon that can fill this role for me if the GI's can't?

Also, is the GI-10 and GI-20 at least good enough at tracking? Decent saxophone or piano sounds (thats all I want from midi) - can I control them with a MIDI controller like say the Roland FC-300?

paults

GI-10 or GI-20 are just pitch to midi boxes with no internal sounds.  One of those, and a small sound module could go in the back of your rack.

admin

[GI-20] When I play a bass with the GK-2B attached and record it in real time using the GI-20 on a MIDI sequencer, the timing is delayed and the input is delayed.
ANSWER
When you attach the GK-2B to the bass and use the GI-20 to convert pitch to MIDI and record note information on the MIDI sequencer,
if you are concerned about the delay in pronunciation at the performance timing, use the following method to reduce the delay. can do.
Play with the treble strings of the bass as much as possible.
For low notes, use the octave down function (outputs MIDI note information one octave lower than the actual performance)
or the transpose function (specify each semitone to lower the range) to lower the range and lower the treble strings. play.
Quantize on the MIDI sequencer side to correct the timing.
Technical explanation: The
GI-20 detects the pitch from the period of the string vibration picked up by the divided pickup and converts it into a MIDI signal.

In the case of a bass with the GK-2B attached, especially for bass strings with a long string vibration cycle, the time for two wavelengths must be analyzed for pitch detection, based on the principle that at least two wavelengths of sound must be analyzed. It is inevitable that it will take, and the pronunciation will be delayed by that amount. (In the case of the lowest note E of a normal 4-string bass, the time for two wavelengths is calculated to be 48.54 msec.)

http://faq-jp.roland.com/faq/show/77106?back=front%2Fcategory%3Ashow&category_id=8691&page=1&site_domain=default&sort=sort_adjust_value&sort_order=desc

Jim Williams

QuoteWhen I play a bass with the GK-2B attached and record it in real time using the GI-20 on a MIDI sequencer, the timing is delayed and the input is delayed.

I have a GI 20 for guitar and it tracks great. The Roland Guitar synths from that time all track great with very little setup and tweaking. I also have a GR 30 flor unit and it is the same tracking stability. I have a Roland XV 2020 sound module for synth sounds and it is the same size as my GI 20 and the sounds are way more advanced compared to Roland built in synth sounds. I also own a Alesis nano synth that is 1/2 the size of the XV 2020 that has some great built in sounds as well, way beyond guitar synth pedals.

Personally, I would get a rack case with 1 or 2 spaces to house a GI 20 and a XV 2020 (both you can find pretty cheap out there). It will be worth it and that FC 300 is a very advanced controller I have one and once you learn how to set it up will be very powerful plus the MIDI block in the Axe Fx is great.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.