Tim Reynolds Accoustic Rig?

Started by shawnb, October 23, 2011, 09:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnb

Saw Tim Reynolds with Dave Matthews at the Bridge School Benefit last night.   At one point he tuned his accoustic guitar's low-E down a bit & fiddled with a pedal...   Low string sounded like a bowed double-bass.   Upper strings sounded like a pretty convincing violin.   Told my wife he's got a synth up there somewhere.   

Got a very brief glimpse of his rig on the overhead video.  Simple volume pedal & maybe something else small & hidden....   

Reading whatever I can find on this accoustic rig, kinda bears this out - he seems to do everything with a DD-5 and a MoogerFooger MF102 ring modulator???  No synth?  Where did the violin & massive bass come from?

Anybody have any further insights to TR's accoustic rig?

EXCELLENT show, by the way.  I'm definitely coming back.  Kinda an extended 'Unplugged' series of sets.   Saw Norah Jones w/the Little Willies, Beck, Eddie Vedder, DM & TR, Santana, Mumford & Sons.  Plenty of Neil Young, too, of course.  All mostly accoustic, all with a C&W or bluegrass feel (except Santana).   Was very impressed by Beck doing some C&W...   Completely unexpected - his voice is much stronger than he lets on in his commercial stuff.   

Hands down, best guitarist on the stage all night was Tim Reynolds.  Nobody else was close. 

Shawn

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

fbwh

http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-plays-what/316-tim-reynolds-guitar-gear-rig-and-equipment

check it out, nothing about synth there that stands out, although I spotted what looks like a Fishman Acoustic amp on the far left of his rig.
Certified Guitar Addict

shawnb

Great find!  One of the other websites explicitly calls out Fishman pickups on his accoustic. 

I need to pick up some of his recordings.   I was absolutely floored, by both the musical performance AND by the breadth of sounds he pulled out of that accoustic. 

An example from last night - some subtle stuff there:

http://youtu.be/8krEqrP87uk?t=1m19s
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

paults

You probably heard the Moogerfooger.  That's what is creating the spacey sounds in the video.  As far as slow cello/string parts go - they can be played with just a volume pedal and delay.  Adding a 'woody' resonance from the Moogerfooger could also work, or a warm distortion, for that matter to enhance the volume/delay trick.     

Elantric

I saw Tim Reynolds with Dave Mathews for the first time last Saturday -

phenomenal musicianship!

Cups

Listening to that video he got some violin type sounds. That was almost certainly a reverse delay and a volume pedal.

I could be wrong but he's the guy who did the Jessie's Girl solo with Rick Springfield right? Great solo.