GR-55 - Guitar to MIDI "Mono Mode" ( separate MIDI channel per each string)

Started by Elantric, June 29, 2011, 08:52:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

See GR-55 Owners Manual page 79
GTR to MIDI Mode assignment type:

"MODE  MONO
In this mode, one channel per string is used, thus using a total of six channels.  Since each string uses a different MIDI channel, you can select a different tone for each string, using string bending or continuously varying the pitch on a specific string; however, this requires use of a multitimbral sound module."

if you set the GR-55 to be on MIDI Channel 1 , then enable GTR- MIDI and  set up mode to "Mono"

The following MIDI channels will be used

MIDI CH #1  = High E string
MIDI CH #2  = B string
MIDI CH #3  = G string
MIDI CH #4  = D string
MIDI CH #5  = A string
MIDI CH #6  = Low E string

For example - if you want to transmit separate strings on individual MIDI channels (MIDI channels 11 thru 16) - assign the GR-55 to be on MIDI Channel 11  then enable GTR- MIDI and  set up mode to "Mono"

MIDI CH #11  = High E string
MIDI CH #12  = B string
MIDI CH #13  = G string
MIDI CH #14  = D string
MIDI CH #15  = A string
MIDI CH #16  = Low E string

slashercha

my first post  :)

so does this mean it's possible to have a different sound/instrument per string?

Elantric

Quoteso does this mean it's possible to have a different sound/instrument per string?

On an external synth driven by the GR-55 MIDI Out or VSTi / AU Softsynth driven by GR-55 over USB  -  yes -

GR-55 internal PCM tones, no.

gumbo

Dammit E..

...does this mean I've got to buy a GR-55 after all?????

...I'll refer my Financial Controller to you....expect her to be phoning at about 4am your time... :D
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

datsunrobbie

If I understand the manual, the GR-1, GR-09 and GR-33 also have mono-mode, and prices on these are dropping rapidly

mbenigni

Quote from: Elantric on October 11, 2011, 07:39:38 AM
On an external synth driven by the GR-55 MIDI Out -  yes -
GR-55 internal PCM tones, no.

... but it is possible to split PCM1 and 2 across different combinations of strings, for instance by setting string levels 4-6 to 0 for PCM1 and then setting string levels 1-3 to 0 for PCM2.  You can do the same with the COSM instrument to split 3 distinct voices across strings, or even fade between voices on adjacent strings.

Elantric

Quote... but it is possible to split PCM1 and 2 across different combinations of strings, for instance by setting string levels 4-6 to 0 for PCM1 and then setting string levels 1-3 to 0 for PCM2.  You can do the same with the COSM instrument to split 3 distinct voices across strings, or even fade between voices on adjacent strings.

Try it and report your results

mbenigni

I'm already using this approach in several patches, e.g. one where I have piano on strings 1-4 and a synth bass on strings 5-6, and another where I have COSM strat -> AMP/MOD on strings 2-6 and a piano on string 1 detuned a couple octaves (allowing me to play a guitar figure and stab a piano note as required.)  I use these for the Police's Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic and Hole in My Life, respectively.

Elantric

Very cool,

Please post these patches in the GR-55 User Patch area when you get a chance.

mbenigni

Will do.  I've been neglecting the guitar a bit these past two weeks, but should be doing some organizing with the GR55 librarian over the weekend.

Machh_2

Quote from: slashercha on October 11, 2011, 04:08:43 AM
so does this mean it's possible to have a different sound/instrument per string?

the old GR-50 does...u can play 12 instruments at same time...
impractical, but possible ....

i was doing some tests to play GR-55 toghether GR-50 by midi, is awsome !!!

wmzaphod

Quote from: Machh_2 on January 04, 2012, 10:43:14 AM
the old GR-50 does...u can play 12 instruments at same time...
impractical, but possible ....

i was doing some tests to play GR-55 toghether GR-50 by midi, is awsome !!!
Wow, that's an old one (the GR-50 that is).... never seen one but heard of them. Does it still work ok?
Peter
a gear-a-holic

See some guitars at JediStar.com

Machh_2

Quote from: wmzaphod on January 05, 2012, 01:57:45 AM
Wow, that's an old one (the GR-50 that is).... never seen one but heard of them. Does it still work ok?

Works great !
i have one, in perfect working, the GR-50 was made in 1989, and for rack 19" , good tracking, good PCM's,no delay...
excellent for that time...

wmzaphod

Quote from: Machh_2 on January 05, 2012, 02:57:58 AM
Works great !
i have one, in perfect working, the GR-50 was made in 1989, and for rack 19" , good tracking, good PCM's,no delay...
excellent for that time...
How cool is that, bet is cost a bomb in those days  :o
Peter
a gear-a-holic

Machh_2

Quote from: wmzaphod on January 05, 2012, 02:59:42 AM
How cool is that, bet is cost a bomb in those days  :o

in those days, maybe studios can buy or rich musicians...i dont know...
i have my since 1996... i pay about U$400,00 , but today... see link..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLAND-GR-50-GUITAR-SYNTHESIZER-GR50-JAPAN-/170751475744?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Pro_Audio_Synthesisers_CV&hash=item27c194c020

but the system of midi channels than Elantric mencioned is the same in the news GRs, all PCMs at same channel or one channel per string...
is no good way to use midi in my opinion, is hard manager all this channels on strings...
all at only channel is better...

paults

They look like they go for about $100 in the US.  That's a really good deal for what they can do, even if you don't like the 'charmingly retro' sounds - they have extensive MIDI implementation (as did the previous 25-pin GM70)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-GR50-Guitar-Synth-Sound-Cards-/110795931251

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-GR-50-Rackmount-Guitar-Synthesizer-Pick-up-Cable-NOT-INCLUDED-194115-/260920566846

arkieboy

I had one from new.  The midi specification was excellent by today's standards for Roland gear but not quite up to the GM70 - which I upgraded from...

The funny thing was that I still think the GM70 was the best converter before the Axon range.  It was slow - Wayne timed it as slower than the GR700 (had one of those too - that WAS expensive) which I find hard to believe - but it was rock solid if you could play around the delay.  I felt comfortable impersonating a piano on my G707/GM70 rig whereas I never got the tracking on the GR50 to be as reliable.

If you have a facebook account, this was what I was playing at the time.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=5177743171&set=a.5177383171.5511.673943171&type=3

I have and Axon AX100 MkII and a VG88 these days.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150101312508172&set=a.5177383171.5511.673943171

Steve
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

Elantric

I still have my GM-70

But many think the only vintage 13pin Roland Guitar to MIDI Synth to own is a Roland GR-1 with expansion card.

whippinpost91850

I still have the GM70 I had used for years. Until recently I used it to do all my MIDI switching , And used the mono mood, which offered quite a bit of control.

whippinpost91850

wmzaphod

Quote from: Elantric on January 05, 2012, 10:59:58 AM
I still have my GM-70

But many think the only vintage 13pin Roland Guitar to MIDI Synth to own is a Roland GR-1 with expansion card.

You've just got everything  8) I like to keep my old gear if possible, made a mistake by selling off a ton of gear in the late 80s and always regretted it  :-[
Peter
a gear-a-holic

Godzizou

Hello

I bought the GR55 with a view to use it with virtual synths and I am facing an issue with the GR55 fixed limitation of + - 24 pitch bend, making it unusable with most of my samples (as many virtual instruments are tweakable within the +- 12 pitch bend range.

Do you know if there is any workaround that may be used here (other than keeping my Axon ?)

Thank you and sorry for my bad English,

szilard

MIDI Solution Event Processor. I use one with both HW & SW synths.

I use this one http://www.midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm, but you shouldn't need the plus.

Robert

Godzizou

Hello

Thank you for your reply and what may have  appeared as a dumb question.

You mean that this device will allow me to set either  the Pitch  Bend Range of my  external VST set to +/- 24 (even if limited to +/- 12) or the GR55 to +/- 12 ?

Thanks again

Elantric

QuoteYou mean that this device will allow me to set either  the Pitch  Bend Range of my  external VST set to +/- 24 (even if limited to +/- 12) or the GR55 to +/- 12 ?
QuoteThe event processor can map values. So you can map the +/- 24 pbr of the GR-55 to +/- 12 of some synth engine. You can't change what the GR-55 is sending, but you can just look at the +12 through -12 and map that to the whole pbr with software or something like the Event Processor.
http://www.midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm

Another alternative is use EvenHarmonic's GTAK app to trigger NI Kontact

GTAK allows you to employ many new features and more compatibility (like remapping the pitch bend range) which are missing from the Roland Guitar to MIDI experience

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3339.msg22114#msg22114

http://evenharmonic.com/products

Main features of the Gtak5 Script

No need to load 6 instances of each instrument! Load up a single instrument and play - bends, slides and hammers all work.
    Fill Kontakt's rack with up to 64 instruments and play as many as you like.
    For each instrument:
        select which strings, fret range and picking position (Axon only) it responds to with a few mouse clicks
        select how pitch bend is handled: unquantised, quantised, automatic or retrigger
        transpose individual strings or the whole instrument
        assign a foot pedal (or some notes on a particular string) to control hold, sustain or muting.
    All settings are saved in your song (plugin version) or Kontakt Multi for instant recall.
    No need to switch settings on your Guitar to MIDI converter.
    Smart Controller routing can route controllers to whichever instrument played last. For instance, the wheel controller can automatically control the volume of whatever sound you are playing.

http://evenharmonic.com/files/gtak/manual/html/gtak_manual.html

Quote10Custom Gtak downloads

Unfortunately, there is no central location where you can make changes to settings in the KSP scripting system. This means that if you want to use a pitchbend range of 24 you would have to go through each of the 1000 instruments in the library, change the pitchbend range and save the instrument. Or you could change the range each time you loaded an instrument, but that would be very annoying.

To save you having to do this we have made available custom Gtak downloads with various different settings for things like pitchbend range. Just go to the download page, login, and click to go to the custom downloads page. The form will look something like this:

Make your selections then click download. Finally, install the files as described in section 3.3.

If the custom option you need is not there, contact us and we will see what we can do.