Started by Virtual Tone, February 21, 2008, 11:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Jassy - Agreed with all you say

also should check out the Kemper profiling of VG-99 here:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqa0et6qvRa3WWFVD8b56g

Elantric

Demonstration of eight "Scenes" per patch on Fractal gear - go to 00:38 seconds

Here's a quick demo of a few presets from my Acoustic simulation tonematch presets pack, available here
http://axefremen.blogspot.com/2016/06/acoustic-simulation-tonematch-presets.html

whippinpost91850

I see Fractal has a big sale on the FX II-XL and the MFC 101 bundle for $2599 through midnight tonight. Tempted but make me wonder if they are gonna come out with a FX III ! Tempted to order though. ???

whippinpost91850

Elantric, are you using your FXII live yet????? If so how do you like it

Elantric

Just starting too

Its still the best non hex  DSP guitar Amp modeler / FX / Looper / USB record interface  I own

Far more live performance Control capabilities compared to Kemper

whippinpost91850

interesting I may order It. I have 15 days to see If I like it over my Kemper

ericar123

I just bought a new AXE FX and by the time I changed to U.S. dollars it cost me 3600 Canadian. I had
been thinking of one for a while and recently thought that the Helix would be a good compromise but read here about some issues people were having. The main reason I bought one without ever playing through one was Elantrics praise of it. I have only had it for a week and have not even scratched the surface of what this unit can do. It has a big learning curve but it is fun to have a challenge again. I am very happy with my purchase but feel sad that my run of VG products has probably ended. I have had all three of the VG units and was really waiting to see Roland come out with a new unit that would have blown the Fractal and Kemper units out of the water. I still think they could have but I think there is not much hope now. Anyways, thanks to Elantrics knowledge and unbiased opinions for unknowingly helping me make my biggest equipment purchase ever that I don't regret at all. The AXE FX is as great as people say. ;D

Elantric

Happy to hear your positive experiences with the Fractal Gear!

whippinpost91850

Can you send MIDI PCs and CCs with the MFC 101

Elantric

QuoteCan you send MIDI PCs and CCs with the MFC 101

of course  - RTM
! No longer available
http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/mfc-101/MFC-101-Owners-Manual.pdf

http://www.fractalaudio.com/manuals-and-docs.php
http://www.fractalaudio.com/p-mfc-101-midi-foot-controller.php

---
MFC-101 Puts Total Control at your Feet
The Fractal Audio Systems MFC-101 Mark III is a powerful, versatile, easy-to-use MIDI foot controller designed for use with the Axe-Fx II, Axe-Fx Ultra, Axe-Fx Standard, and/or any other MIDI devices. It puts total control at your feet, with capabilities that musicians have come to demand from a best-in-class foot controller, plus innovations that put the MFC-101 in a class by itself. In comparison to the previous model, the Mark II uses a rugged EtherCon connector instead of a standard RJ-45 port.

Just as the Axe-Fx is known for its simple, intuitive user interface, the MFC-101 Midi Foot Controller is impressively easy-to-use. It is virtually plug and play, requiring you only to select an Axe-Fx model and specify how you're connected. Up to 384 Preset numbers/names appear on the floor, and effect switching functions are easy to set up and customize. Artists and owners frequently tell us that this is the easiest pedalboard they've ever set up.

Besides being easy to use, the MFC-101 MIDI Foot Controller is powerful and flexible, with deep control options for today's modern rig. Preset switches can send program changes, CCs, and even custom midi data. Instant Access switches offer the ability to handle typical control change functions but likewise offer program change and custom MIDI data capabilities. Expression pedals and external switches with global controls can also be set up with different MIDI capabilities for each preset.

Tough Hardware and Great Connectivity

The MFC-101 is built to last, ready for life on the road and on-stage performance. The Mark III features three different ways to connect to your Axe-Fx or other rig.

16-gauge powder-coated steel chassis.
Twenty-one quiet SOLID STATE SWITCHES in 3 ergonomic tiers
Patented SSS switches are easy to operate, very quiet, and far more failure resistant than traditional footswitches.
Twenty one bi-color LEDs
Brilliant 20-character transflective display
Jacks for 4 expression pedals and 4 external switches
RJ-45 Port (Ethernet) to connect an Axe-Fx II (provide Phantom power
FASLINK port to connect an Axe-Fx II over a single XLR cable.
7-pin MIDI out supports phantom powering the unit
With incredibly flexible MIDI capabilities and a range of connector options, the MFC-101 is designed to fit diverse needs. A typical scenario is depicted below, showing the MFC-101 with 4 external expression pedals and 4 external switches conntected to an Axe-Fx II by a CAT5 cable (which also powers the MFC-101 without the need for an AC adapter.) An outboard MIDI device is connected at the THRU port of the Axe-Fx II, which is itself connected via USB to a computer for simultaneous editing/recording. Nearly infinite possible scenarios exist; see the MFC-101 or Axe-Fx II user manuals for more ideas.

Designed Specifically for the Axe-Fx

Axe-Fx Mode makes the MFC-101 the best and easiest way to control a Fractal Audio Systems Axe-Fx II, Ultra, or Standard. The two units are virtually plug and play. Total customization is of course also possible, for those with specific creative requirements.

Axe-Fx mode offers hassle-free setup, smart preset integration, easy FX control, dedicated tap tempo (with matching LED flash), tuner display on the floor, and much more. You will never need to enter or sync preset -- they are read and displayed dynamically each time you stomp, and update automatically if you change them on the Axe-Fx.

The MFC-101 also automatically configures itself to control effect blocks without messy manual CC# mapping. Simply select switch functions from an easy list (ex: "Drive 1 Bypass") and the MFC-101 does the rest. What's more, the bi-color LEDs dynamically show whether the effects behind each switch assignment are ON, OFF, or "not present," reading this information from the Axe-Fx at the moment the preset loads. If you're using the Axe-Fx II, the MFC-101 offers a dedicated LOOPER CONTROL MODE allowing access to all Looper functions in a single layout with no programming required.

Get the Manual, Firmware and More

Visit our Support Section to download the MFC-101 MIDI Foot Controller Manual and firmware. In the tradition established by our Axe-Fx line of products, the MFC-101 undergoes continual improvement. Free firmware releases add fixes, features, and more.

whippinpost91850

Thanks for the links. I could not find it when I went to there site

Elantric

Messing with the Atmosynth Sim preset... The original patch had two chords controlled by an expression pedal ; how about... ten chords ? :)
here's the chords, by scene, first line = exp pedal 1 at max, line 2 = exp pedal at min.
B min / F#min / C#min / Emin / Dmin
G maj / D maj / A maj / C maj / Bb maj
The solo is completely improvised and not that interesting ; that was just a quick test of an idea I had at work this morning. Watch my blog for the preset, i'll upload it later, after some further tweaks : http://axefremen.blogspot.com/

admin

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/humbuster-cables-is-30-feet-too-long.1709091/#post-22014675

Humbuster cables do not eliminate noise. Humbuster cables in conjunction with Fractal gear's Humbuster outputs can significantly reduce hum due to ground loops. The outputs of Fractal Audio products have a special circuit that, in conjunction with a Humbuster cable, senses the difference in ground potential between the devices and cancels the difference thereby reducing hum. It's certainly not snake oil and you can find numerous testimonials on our forum that speak for the effectiveness.

It is something like an active transformer output but can't act as a balanced output. I wish I could tell you more but it's proprietary.

admin

Elantric

Since no more ADI Tiger SHARC DSPs , here is Sneak pic of AXE-FXIII ;)

https://m.facebook.com/FortinAmplification/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=1

admin

Elantric

Elantric

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fracpad.120946/#post-1439119

Hi all,

It seems some of you felt there was a need for a mobile AxeEdit-like...

[​IMG]

The good news :
- It's here !
- It's Android/iOS compatible (iOS 6+ / Android 6.0+)
- It's compatible with AxeFx II/XL/XL+ and AX8 (see connecting options depending on your OS and fasDevice)
- On Android it allows both USB or 3rd party MIDI interface connection (AX8 is USB only)
- On iOS it allows USB connection only for AX8 and 3rd party MIDI interface connection for AxeFx (Apple limitation, i couldn't add the same driver used on Android for the AxeFx's USB port)...

The bad news (for you ^^) :
- It's not free. It took me a lot of time to develop, and also money for Apple Developer account etc...
- The price is not the same on Android and iOS. Apple forces developpers to use their AppStore and charges a 30% fee on every sale. While the Android version is directly available from the store.
- Maybe some of you will feel the price is high : €39.99 on iOS / €29.99 on Android. I'm not gonna discuss it here but to synthetize, i've considered the price of some FAS software and the time i used to create it and it seems a good deal for all of us...

The not so bad news ^^ :
- For a direct USB connection (Android AxeFx/AX8 or iOS AX8 only) you'll need an USB adapter. It's called USB OTG adapter on Android devices and "USB camera adapter" for Apple.
- For a 3rd party MIDI connection i've been successfully testing the iRig2 MIDI interface and also the Roland UM-One (in conjunction with camera USB adapter). Most USB MIDI interfaces should work in conjunction with the Apple USB Camera adapter, but i'm not responsible if one doesn't...

Here is a video demo :

You can buy the Android version here : http://www.e-junkie.com/fracpad

The iOS version will be there as soon as Apple will have reviewed and accepted it.

Stay tuned on the facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/fracpad/

Elantric

Smash

Strange video comparison - "for the clean tones they all sound similar" he says - as in for the combo amps where the amp and oem speaker are both being identically modeled then hardly surprising. Similarly, no real surprise that the comparison of modeled heads sounds way different because, by the reviewers own admission, he chooses different "cabs that sounded similar".

It's kind of like comparing VG99 MS stack with original speaker to VG99 MS Stack with the generic 4x12 cab! I can't see the comparison part of the video as being particularly useful if I'm honest - just me? ???

admin

I also Agree on all you observe.

Also I hear more "Crackle" on the Helix Cleans, that he never mentions as a problem.

that would drive me nuts   

Headless68

After LOTS of consideration and demos, I pulled the trigger on an Ax II XL+, almost went with helix but just kept getting pulled back to preferring the Fractal sound more - had to discount the AX8 from my list on DSP limitation
I hope I did the right thing :-)

Elantric

QuoteAfter LOTS of consideration and demos, I pulled the trigger on an Ax II XL+, almost went with helix but just kept getting pulled back to preferring the Fractal sound more - had to discount the AX8 from my list on DSP limitation
I hope I did the right thing :-)

Now you need the MFC-101 Mark III
http://www.fractalaudio.com/p-mfc-101-midi-foot-controller.php