RMC OPT-01 - GR-55 Internal Subsonic Filter board

Started by imall41, February 21, 2011, 05:24:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drbill

Same here. I have the VG-99 board installed and don't really want to pay for another. Maybe I'll try this....
GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

nelcatjar

Quote from: a2dconverter on April 15, 2011, 02:01:27 PM
I received my new GR-55 Sub filter board today....

Are the GR-55 Subsonic filters are available now?
Q: What's the difference between a musician and a large pizza?
A:  A large pizza can feed a family of 4.

Brian Moore i88.13, Godin xtSA, GR-55, Boss ME-70.

a2dconverter

Quote from: nelcatjar on April 18, 2011, 11:30:37 AM
Are the GR-55 Subsonic filters are available now?

Hello nelcatjar

Your best bet is to e-mail Richard at RMC and he will offer you 2 options...

info@rmcmusic.com

1. Since he is still not ramped up to do the wiring harnesses for the GR-55 Sub-filter, you need to open your GR-55 and remove the 13 pin connector circuit board/ harness and send it to Richard by Mail. Richard will de-solder the wires from your 13 pin circuit board and install those wires on the new Sub-Filter board and send it back to you with your original circuit board.

2. Otherwise you will have to wait for a full production harnessed circuit board.

Since the GR-55 board is relatively fragile, Richard does not recommend that you try to de-solder the GR-55 circuit board wires yourself as you will burn the wires and most likely damage the GR-55 circuit board ...this means that you can never restore your GR-55 to stock if you want to sell it. also, you may possibly damage the Filter board when installing the GR-55 harness wires.

When I first ordered the board, I requested a board without the wires, my thought was to move the the wires myself as I have a specialized de-soldering iron that will not damage the GR-55 board.

When I received the new Filter board, I realized the value of that filter and how it could be used in the future regardless of which Roland product I was using. So, I built the Sub-Filter into an inline package, with 13 pin connectors/ cable, that can go between my guitar and my US-20 clone. That way the guitar signal if filtered before both synths connected to the US-20. The nice thing, for warranty reasons, is that my GR-55 remains stock... fun for the whole family  :)

seeya

Joe

Guitar Synths/ Controllers
GR-1
GI-20
GR-55
Custom US-20 w/ Breakout for GK Volume and S1/S2
Inline RMC GR-55 Sub-Filter
2 x Ibanez Roadstar II with Graphtech Floyd Rose Piezo Bridge and Hexpander Driver
PRS Santana w/ Graphtech Piezo Saddles and Hexpander Driver
etc...

Nokie

Quote from: a2dconverter on April 18, 2011, 02:00:23 PM

When I first ordered the board, I requested a board without the wires, my thought was to move the the wires myself as I have a specialized de-soldering iron that will not damage the GR-55 board.

When I received the new Filter board, I realized the value of that filter and how it could be used in the future regardless of which Roland product I was using. So, I built the Sub-Filter into an inline package, with 13 pin connectors/ cable, that can go between my guitar and my US-20 clone. That way the guitar signal if filtered before both synths connected to the US-20. The nice thing, for warranty reasons, is that my GR-55 remains stock... fun for the whole family  :)

seeya

Joe

Now that looks like the ticket, Joe.

nelcatjar

Is it safe to assume when the RMC SubSonic Filter is available, there will be this big post on the forum something like "RMC GR-55 SUBSONIC FILTERS NOW AVAILABLE"?????

And for that matter, does anyone know the RMC SubSonic Filter production status?
Q: What's the difference between a musician and a large pizza?
A:  A large pizza can feed a family of 4.

Brian Moore i88.13, Godin xtSA, GR-55, Boss ME-70.

Elantric

Richard does not post here.

If you want a GR-55 OPT-01 Input Filter, contact RMC directly

info@rmcmusic.com

gregjon

I am stuck at Zero.

Earlier in this thread it said to set the Guitar Sensitivity to ZERO.
You mean on all strings?

How could this possibly work ?

Gregjon
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat with GK3 pickup.
Godin Freeway SA
Godin Multiac Nylon SA
Fishman Triple Play
GR-55
GR-20
SUGS Selector
RFX Midi Foot Control Pedal
Ipad Air, Apps: Bias, Jam Up Pro, Flying Haggis, Tone Stack, Audiobus, Garage Band,

Elantric

News from RMC regarding the GR-55 Piezo Subharmonic filter input board:

Installing this board allows piezo hex pickup GR-55 users to use the GR-300 COSM Guitar model and improves the stability and tracking  when driving internal PCM Synths  and Guitar to MIDI.   

Richard McClish wrote>

"The development of the preferred solution to the GR-55 tracking problem has been ongoing, and the G5SF retro-fit jackboard was superseded by the OPT-01 module which connects in-line between the GR-55 jackboard and GR-55 main board - see attached pictures.

The OPT-01 is in stock and we've already started shipping them.
Please address all inquiries to my attention  info@rmcmusic.com

I don't have the illustrated instructions completed yet, but installation is very simple :
The metal enclosure is opened by removing 8 identical screws retaining the bottom part. You can disconnect the USB port cable from the main board for convenience after the bottom of the enclosure has been opened.

1) disconnect the GR-55 jackboard from the main board - you can use a small blade to pry the mated connectors apart if needed,
2) make sure the black wire harness is fully engaged onto the second header of the OPT-01 as shown in the pictures,
3) connect the jackboard to the first header of the OPT-01,
4) connect the black wire harness to the main board header,
5) remove the liner from the OPT-01's self-adhesive Velcro patch and fix the module to the steel chassis.
It should look like the picture when installed.  Voila !...

All the connectors are polarized so they can't be connected backwards.

Reassembly is the reverse of dis-assembly.

I hope the information provided will be helpful to all who seek relief from the subsonic over-sensitivity problem. I hope you'll feel it was worth the wait.

Best regards,

RMC   Richard McClish"

Its important to note the installation of this user installable filter board requires no modifications to the chassis, and is reversible, and can be removed from the GR-55 if desired.

Orren Merton

Quote from: Elantric on June 24, 2011, 01:09:39 PM
News from RMC regarding the GR-55 Piezo Subharmonic filter input board:

This looks fantastic—simply enough for a butterfingers like me to install! ;)  I'll definitely be installing one when my GR-55 arrives (going through industry channels is...insanely slow. Still waiting!)

Orren

tekrytor

Just an observation...but it seems like it would be cheaper, easier and better to make the board with the 13-pin connector to replace the small board in the GR-55. Eliminate the extra wire and connector.
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

viramundo

email sent to Richard

"to use the GR-300 COSM Guitar model and improves the stability and tracking when driving internal PCM Synths  and Guitar to MIDI."

this part really encourages me especially as I must admit to have been very frustrated with my very expensive guitars performance with the GR-55 in comparison with considerably cheaper ones or normal guitars fitted with the GK-3 pick up.

Jim Williams

Just curious, what would this do with a GK3?

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

viramundo

For those interested I received this email from Richard MClish of RMC

I don't have the illustrated instructions completed yet, but installation is very simple :
The metal enclosure is opened by removing 8 identical screws retaining the bottom part. You can disconnect the USB port cable from the main board for convenience after the bottom of the enclosure has been opened.

1) disconnect the GR-55 jackboard from the main board - you can use a small blade to pry the mated connectors apart if needed,
2) fully engage the black wire harness onto the second header of the
OPT-01 as shown in the pictures,
3) connect the jackboard to the first header of the OPT-01,
4) connect the black wire harness to the main board header,
5) remove the liner from the OPT-01's self-adhesive Velcro patch and fix the module to the steel chassis.
It should look like the picture when installed.  Voila !...

All the connector housings are polarized so they can't be connected backwards.

Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly.

International Sales Order date  June 25, 2011

1     OPT-01    Tracking Optimizer module   £ 91.25

shipping via Express Mail Int'l             £ 37.

Prepaid invoice total                       £128.25

DETAILS OF INTERNATIONAL SHIPMENT

We usually ship international orders via Express Mail which provides a relatively quick delivery (about a week) and costs about half the price of UPS or Fed-Ex.

Please note that the quoted price for Express Mail shipment includes a handling fee. We cannot just slip international packages in a mailbox. The proper forms must be filled, stamped and signed at the post office by the teller at the counter receiving the package(s).

*** If you feel that mail is not safe enough in your area for receiving high-value packages, we can use private carriers such as UPS or Fed-Ex. Please let us know which shipping method you prefer.

The F.O.B point is Berkeley CA , USA. The risk of loss or damage is transfered to the buyer at the F.O.B point at the moment when the carrier receives the package from us for delivery to the buyer.

We ship the package at invoiced value unless we receive specific written instructions to the contrary. Please note that the recovery amount in case of loss or damage will be limited to the declared value.

mikevandusen

I got an email from Richard at RMC telling me that the OPT-01 retrofit boards are now available. Has anyone received one of these and installed in their GR55 yet - and if so whats the verdict in your humble opinion ? Is it worth the $155 for the subsonic filtering ?

celestmark

Same here, got my email response... sure hate to sink $160 to "try" it out. I searching this forum now for any testimonials and will update my post here IF I can find any...

Also, it'd be nice if RMC had a product page on their site for it as im sure that many have the older versions of RMC hexies on their Godins!  ::)

celestmark

Got a repy back from RMC and it's gonna cost $160 to get this!!! It would really be nice for someone here to tell me how it's working on one of the Godin XTSA with the older RMC pickups!

jayson

Anyone know if RMC is still planning on making an inline external filter that could be placed before a US-20?

Cheers,

jayson

Elantric

QuoteAnyone know if RMC is still planning on making an inline external filter that could be placed before a US-20?

I understand that is not going to happen.

Gopaul

I've been in communication with RMC about the new board and want one but all the 'fees' for the UK are just prohibitive. £25 fee from my bank, £15 their end and £37 p&p doubles the price! If there is anyone else in the UK planning to buy one we could cut the fees substantially by ordering together? Anyone interested?
P.
PP
www.staustell-baptist.org.uk
Godin XTSA or GK3 equipped LP
VG-99
Gr-55
RC-30
Vocalist Live 3

dayn

I have the RMC mod board sitting here, but can't put it in until my back-ordered GR-55 arrives  :-\

I'll let you know how I like it when I finally get it done.

I will be using it with my new Blackbird Carbon Fiber ukulele with RMC pickups and a custom RMC uke preamp.

Nokie

I received RMC's OPT-1 Tracking Optimizer for the GR-55 this week and installed it tonight. My initial reaction is absolute joy. Richard McClish's subsonic filter does an excellent job in reducing the overtone "bleed" that caused the mis-firing of notes when my GR-55 was controlled by my Carvin NS-1 with it's Graphtek Ghost piezo pickup system. In addition, it displays no adverse affect on my Telecaster GK-3 set up. The GK-3 set up displays the same sensitivity it had before the installation of the filter. Play testing both guitars gives very positive results. I hear almost none of the "barking" I would previously get plenty of with the NS-1 hooked up to my favorite GR-55 piano patch. Before the installation, my Tele-GK-3 set up was quite good. It's just as good now with the filter if not better. I have documented these results in a "before and after" of the installation process on film. I intend to post a youtube of my experience within the next couple of weeks.

What wasn't great about the process? I had much difficulty in removing the original white connector from the original input board. I'm a novice with the electronics and was more than cautious not wanting to ruin 800 clams worth of guitar synth. It's not a simple pull-out connector even with the suggested knife blade. One certainly doesn't want to pull on the wires of the connector. Unfortunately, the white connector does not have much in the way of available grab-on surface area. In addition, there are small tabs that lock it into it's recepticle that have to be negotiated. With help from my girlfriend, two paperclips, tweezers, and the knife blade, we had the connector off in 30 minutes. Everything else about the process was a breeze. 

I'll post when I have my "documentary" up on youtube. -Marty

chaka

I highly appreciate Richard McClish's development of the tracking optimizer. However it is a shame for ROLAND that PU types (Piezos) other than their own GK-3 are not working correctly with the GR-55 tho listed in the GK setting parameters.

Thanks to Richard McClish and red card for ROLAND.

Chaka

mikevandusen

Well mine is shipping Monday so I expect to have it installed by the weekend to try at my usual church gig. Hope I can get a better response with piano's and strings. I will let the group know. I also have the mod for VG99 unit and I can't complain about that one - its works fine.

Nokie

I now have a demonstration video of the RMC Opt-01 Subsonic Filter for piezo pick-up guitars connected to the GR-55 posted on youtube (see the link below). I include a performance of "The Entertainer" played on guitar (Carvin NS-1 with Graphtek Ghost pickup system) with a piano patch after the Opt-01 was installed. Previous to the installation, attempts at playing the same arrangement on the same guitar / synth set-up realized the triggering of many unwanted notes. You may still detect an extraneous note in the post-installation performance but they are far fewer than in my pre-installation attempts. In addition, the more I play the GR-55 system, the better I get at navigating it's idiosyncracies.  -Marty

Roland GR-55 with RMC Opt 01 subsonic filter The Entertainer Marty Tippens guitar Carvin NS-1

Disclaimer: This video was not sanctioned by RMC. I am not an agent, employee or representative of RMC (this may be more obvious when watching the video). Also note that RMC does not sign on to this list. If you wish to contact RMC about the Opt-01, his contact information is posted a couple of times earlier in this thread.

Swampash

Okie-Nokie!

That was awesome!!!!!  :o

....and you just sold an OPT-01.  RMC should give you a commission.  ;D