GR-55 - GK3 guitar out not working

Started by Elantric, February 16, 2011, 10:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viramundo

Quote from: gumtown on February 25, 2016, 08:28:54 PM
From my fading recollection,
the Tone Volume of each tone source controls also the 'guitar out' level too, as well as the internal pass through the chain to the L/R outputs.
If the modelled J-Bass level is too low at the main L/R outputs, you might need to route it through 'MFX' and use Eq, Amp Sim, or Compressor to boost the level through the GR-55 effects chain.

Thanks, how do I route through MFX?

tplesko

Hi all, I have read 10+ posts on this and seem to be having a familiar problem.  I wish to use one cable - the 13 pin  run a short 1/4 from my guitar to the gk3, and run my normal pickups to my amp thru the guitar out on the back of the GR55. This seems like an easy thing to do. 

Here is what I have tried - System set to normal pickup.  Guitar out source set to normal pu.  Guitar out jack set to normal pu.  I've tried tone volume and patch volume,

I have ensured that normal pickup is on in the patch itself. 

II system/other guitar out source is set to modeling or both then I can get sound to my amp.  If I select normal pu I cannot. 

Any ideas?  I'm sure this has been answered 100 times but I cannot seem to figure it out. I have tried most everything I have read, which has been a lot.  Any help appreciated, thanks. 

Elantric

tplesko

Yes, I have read that post and tried everything suggested.  That was the first one I read.  I have Guitar out source set to patch in System.  Guitar out jack set to Normal PU - if I switch  it to Modeling or Both I am getting sound out of my amp.  The GK3 itself is set to Guitar and volume is up. 

I cannot explain what I am doing wrong. 

Elantric

Also read

GR-55 - Make your GK-3 "Guitar/Mix/Synth" Switch work (step by step)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3402.0

tplesko

I read this too but may have just figured it out - is the cable that ships with the GK3 somehow special from a normal TS cable?

I am a lefty and cannot use the supplied cable as it is not long enough so I have been using a standard 2' TS cable.  Is that the issue?

Sorry if I missed that somewhere,

Elantric

Its a normal 1/4" TS cable  - just short

If you are a lefty - be sure you set the GK Setting Direction = "Reversed"

These may help - the official GR-55 Knowledge base

https://www.roland.com/global/support/knowledge_base/?product=GR-55&keyword=&stype=any

--
GR-55: HEARING YOUR NORMAL (GUITAR) PICKUP SIGNAL
Tags: gr-55,normal,dry
If you want to hear your guitar's original pickup sound in the GR-55, you need to activate the NORMAL PICKUP switch within each patch. Here's how.

1. Choose a patch to edit.

2. Press the EDIT button.

3. Press PAGE left until you select the TONE menu.

4. Press the down-cursor button to select NORMAL PICKUP.

5. Press cursor left to highlight the NORMAL PICKUP box and then turn the dial to activate it.

6. Set the GK select switch to the MIX position.

Note: If you want to hear only the guitar sound, de-select the PCM1, PCM2, and Model boxes as well.

If desired, press WRITE to save the new setting as a User patch, and then repeat the process for any patch in which you want to hear the original pickup sound.

---
ROLAND GR-55 ACCESSING NORMAL PICKUPS
Tags: gr-55,gr-55s,gr-55gk,gr-55gk-bk,gr-55s-bk,can't access normal pickups in the gr-55,how do i access normal pickups in the gr-55,normal pickups with the gr-55
Tips & Tricks
Product: GR-55
Topic: Accessing Normal Pickups Within the GR-55

Here is a quick tip for GR-55 users who want to be able to hear their guitar's normal pickups when the GK toggle switch is in "GUITAR" position through the L/R outputs.

1. Press the [EDIT] button and use the PAGE [◄ ►] left & right button to bring up the SYSTEM page.

2. Using the DIAL [◄ ►] left & right buttons, or by spinning the DIAL, select/highlight PEDAL/GK CTL and push the [ENTER] button.

3. Using the PAGE [◄ ►] right & left buttons bring up the VOL page and a list of adjustable parameters.

4. Using the UP & DOWN [▲ ▼] arrows on the dial, select/highlight GK VOL (top of the list).

5. Spin the [DIAL] until the selection/highlighted area displays GK VOL TONE VOLUME.

6. Check further down the parameter list and make sure on this page that the NORMAL PU parameter is set to OFF and push [EXIT].

7. Note that the GR-55's presets have the NORMAL PICKUP mode turned off by default, so make sure to go to the TONE page and turn NORMAL pickups on.

With the switch set to GUITAR you'll hear just the normal magnetic guitar pickups sound. In MIX, you'll hear both the COSM/PCM sounds, and normal magnetic guitar pickups being output. You'll have independent volume control for each via the guitar pickups volume control and the GK volume control. In GK position, you'll hear just the COSM/PCM sounds.

tplesko

Thank you for trying to help, I cannot explain it - it is acting oddly.  I was able to get it working but only if the Expression Pedal switch was On and I cannot see where or why that would have an impact.  I am new to this unit and diving in, but this is frustrating because it seems like such a simple thing to do.

I am sure I'll end up abandoning this idea of using one cable, going to two cables, and not using Guitar Out or Normal Pickups at all.  Frustrating,

Elantric

QuoteI have Guitar out source set to "patch" in System.

that will clobber you as most GR-55 Patches have the Guitar Out muted  / disabled

Suggest change "Guitar Out Source:" to "Normal PU"

QuoteI was able to get it working but only if the Expression Pedal switch was On and I cannot see where or why that would have an impact.

Thats because the Expression Pedal is mapped to "Patch Volume"  - and controls all three outputs ( Guitar Out, Left out, Right Out

The GR-55's "smart" features can often clobber you

QuoteI am sure I'll end up abandoning this idea of using one cable, going to two cables, and not using Guitar Out or Normal Pickups at all.  Frustrating,

Thats what I typically do - just run two cables from my guitar

Normal  1/4"Guitar Output in the Guitar into a Kemper or Fractal AXE-FX

GK 13 cable from GK-3 into GR-55

The GR-55's Guitar Out was intended to function rather like a  Line-6 Variax - it can deliver Modeled  / Alt Tuned guitar to your separate tube amp. but it proves to be a bit too noisy for rock & roll   

laketahoe96

When i turn the  switch on GK3 to guitar only i get nothing  what am i missing other than guitar by its self HELP!

vtgearhead

Quote from: laketahoe96 on May 11, 2019, 10:58:02 AM
When i turn the  switch on GK3 to guitar only i get nothing  what am i missing other than guitar by its self HELP!

See preceding post to yours.  Built-in patches are brain-dead.

laketahoe96

Have a G20 and a GK3 when selector switch turned to Guitar only NO OUTPUT HELP

admin

Quote from: laketahoe96 on May 11, 2019, 02:12:24 PM
Have a G20 and a GK3 when selector switch turned to Guitar only NO OUTPUT HELP

WHATS is a  "G20" ?

If you mean GR-20 - you  only get Guitar Out from the dedicated GUITAR OUT Jack only

RTM
https://www.roland.com/us/products/gr-20/support/

http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pdf/gr20ws01.pdf

thomasl83

Hi everyone,

(First of all, sorry for my english, I'm not from an english speaking country...).

I'm new on this forum, I own a GR 55 for 3 years but discovered the vguitar community a short time ago.

I would like to buy a kemper very soon, and I wonder how to make my gear works. I would like  to use the GR 55 for PCM sound (like many of us and in stereo if it's possible) and the kemper for my normal guitar and PCM sounds. But as everyone now and apparently (I haven't plugged it yet into an amp) the guitar output sounds "weird" with a lot of hiss. I'm very interested by the mod described in this thread, but it seems to be like the pictures dissapeared of the forums, at least they don't appear on my computers, despite the fact I'm using two different computers with both firefox and chrome...)
It looks like "thanks a lot for this mod", that's amazing", "you save me"... and I can't have access to it... :(
So could anyone send it again? or maybe send it to me in private? It would be very nice :)

I'm not a huge fan of the two cables method... and I'm aware of the Left/right line output method, but I use a lot of panning effects in my pcm patchs...

Also, I read on another threat saying that guitars with active pickup sounds pretty correct in guitar output (because of the impedance?). Two of my three guitars already have EMG pickups, maybe the point would be to change my third guitar's pickups. It's a gibson les paul, It would annoyed me if i do so, but if there is no others solution...

Thanks a lot for your responses :)

whippinpost91850

I've been running a GR55 and a Kemper together for 6 yrs. I use a cord from my guitar to the Kemper and a 13 pin cable to the GR55.. I switch the patches on the GR via MIDI with the Kemper.
I run the outputs all to my powered CAB . I don't run stereo though. You would a mixer to do that

admin

Quote from: thomasl83 on September 06, 2019, 12:51:31 AM
Hi everyone,

(First of all, sorry for my english, I'm not from an english speaking country...).

I'm new on this forum, I own a GR 55 for 3 years but discovered the vguitar community a short time ago.

I would like to buy a kemper very soon, and I wonder how to make my gear works. I would like  to use the GR 55 for PCM sound (like many of us and in stereo if it's possible) and the kemper for my normal guitar and PCM sounds. But as everyone now and apparently (I haven't plugged it yet into an amp) the guitar output sounds "weird" with a lot of hiss. I'm very interested by the mod described in this thread, but it seems to be like the pictures dissapeared of the forums, at least they don't appear on my computers, despite the fact I'm using two different computers with both firefox and chrome...)
It looks like "thanks a lot for this mod", that's amazing", "you save me"... and I can't have access to it... :(
So could anyone send it again? or maybe send it to me in private? It would be very nice :)

I'm not a huge fan of the two cables method... and I'm aware of the Left/right line output method, but I use a lot of panning effects in my pcm patchs...

Also, I read on another threat saying that guitars with active pickup sounds pretty correct in guitar output (because of the impedance?). Two of my three guitars already have EMG pickups, maybe the point would be to change my third guitar's pickups. It's a gibson les paul, It would annoyed me if i do so, but if there is no others solution...

Sorry - Sadly the user (Musicman65)( aka CruzerRocks) removed all his GR-55 Mod pics -( these were all posted back in 2012
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3196.msg39601#msg39601

and has not been at VGuitarforums since 2018

CodeSmart

Quote from: thomasl83 on September 06, 2019, 12:51:31 AM
Hi everyone,

If you willing to sacrifice a 13-pin cable, you could modify and breakout pin7 signal and the Ground to a regular guitar jack at the same time connected to GR-55 for power and synth sounds. It would work feeding this jack to a Kemper input. It require soldering skills and proper tools.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

admin

Or

Roland US-20 "Magic Box Mod"- I/O External FX Loop, and Remote S1/S2
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3664.0

gumtown

Here is a mod I  did to my GR-55 7 years ago, and it is still working great.
It works like a Send/Return loop, intercepting pin 7 normal guitar input signal.

The normal guitar signal is passed through into the GR-55, and can be tapped out of the Send socket.
Once the Return has a plug in it, the through signal is broken and passes around the device in the Send/Return loop.

topic discussed here.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3994.msg34829#msg34829

Here are images similar to my GR-55

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

thomasl83

Hey,
Thank you all for your responses :).
I'm aware the separate cable method is the best solution when it comes to sound quality, but I'm looking for an "only one cable solution" because I often change guitars during gigs, and two cables is not so convenient...

Gumtown, the send return mod sounds great:
If I get it right, it would allow me to plug my "clean guitar signal" (with no hiss) to the kemper, and plug the kemper's main out to the gr 55 return in order to control my PCM/Cosm/guitar sounds as I did before... but with a guitar sound from the kemper? It would be awesome!

Otherwise, what do you guys think about the primova GKFX1 (compared to the roland mod box you showed me before)? I know this box has been originally made for guitars with a piezo...  But it would allow me to "hi-jack" the 7 pin, and doing the "send return method" I mentionned above but without modifying my GR 55 (because I don't have solid skills in electronics).

Thanks

CodeSmart

Quote from: thomasl83 on September 08, 2019, 03:23:03 AM
Hey,
Thank you all for your responses :).
I'm aware the separate cable method is the best solution when it comes to sound quality, but I'm looking for an "only one cable solution" because I often change guitars during gigs, and two cables is not so convenient...

Gumtown, the send return mod sounds great:
If I get it right, it would allow me to plug my "clean guitar signal" (with no hiss) to the kemper, and plug the kemper's main out to the gr 55 return in order to control my PCM/Cosm/guitar sounds as I did before... but with a guitar sound from the kemper? It would be awesome!

Otherwise, what do you guys think about the primova GKFX1 (compared to the roland mod box you showed me before)? I know this box has been originally made for guitars with a piezo...  But it would allow me to "hi-jack" the 7 pin, and doing the "send return method" I mentionned above but without modifying my GR 55 (because I don't have solid skills in electronics).

Thanks

The GKFX-1 would be great for that but unfortunately I don't have any units to ship. Planning another batch later this autumn.

thomasl83

Ok, keep me informed (mail, PM or Vguitar forums) when you 'll make another ones. I would be interested in buying one ;)

etalkishere@yahoo.com

Hi Robert,

We have been exchanging emails the past few days.  I am dying to get a brand new GKFX-1 from you, if you have one getting dusty somewhere :) If you find one, please ping ASAP.

Thanks.

Quote from: CodeSmart on September 09, 2019, 08:37:40 AM
The GKFX-1 would be great for that but unfortunately I don't have any units to ship. Planning another batch later this autumn.

CodeSmart

Quote from: etalkishere@yahoo.com on November 04, 2019, 07:18:58 AM
Hi Robert,

We have been exchanging emails the past few days.  I am dying to get a brand new GKFX-1 from you, if you have one getting dusty somewhere :) If you find one, please ping ASAP.

Thanks.

PCB and PCB Assembly is in production. Raw enclosures has been shipped. Then its milling, painting, soldering, mounting and testing.

It has to take time...