Getting the VG99 S1 switch to to select octave +1

Started by 2pods, February 02, 2011, 02:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2pods

I'm not using an FC300, but I've set my VG99 up so it's working fine with the Korg M1 softsynth.

However, if I'm using the M1 standalone, I'd like to be able to use the S1 button to send "octave+1" to the synth (I'd like to use S2 to bring it back but IIRC there are only two controllers allowed, and I've already selected GK volume for Controller 7 synth volume).

Can this be done ?

I'm using a RR strat with an EV5 and both momentary pedals connected into the VG99

TIA
Fender G5 Strat, PRS SE Santana/w TriplePlay

Brent Flash

Quote from: 2pods on February 02, 2011, 02:51:31 PM
However, if I'm using the M1 standalone, I'd like to be able to use the S1 button to send "octave+1" to the synth (I'd like to use S2 to bring it back but IIRC there are only two controllers allowed, and I've already selected GK volume for Controller 7 synth volume).

Can this be done ?
Yes, you should be able to assign the S1 SOURCE to GK DOWN/S1 SWITCH to the target ALT TUNING: A TUNING TYPE then in the TARGET MIN put +1OCTAVE and in the TARGET MAX put +1OCTAVE there also (I think? you may have to experiment with this I am not sure I remember correctly ::)) Then set switch mode to LATCH. Set up S2 the same but put -1OCTAVE instead. All this would be done in the ASSIGN Tab of the CONTROL ASSIGN pane in the EDITOR.

If this is not what you meant let me know and I will take another look at it.

2pods

Is this for the usb controlled softsynh ?

I'm using a blank VG99 patch for control of external midi, rather than controlling any internal VG stuff.

Is it right that only two midi controllers can be assigned ?

What I'm trying to do is imitate an oct up/oct down switch on a synth

Brent Flash

Quote from: 2pods on February 03, 2011, 03:41:15 AM
Is this for the usb controlled softsynh ?
When you use alternate tuning that tuning is sent over MIDI so the answer is yes.
Quote from: 2pods on February 03, 2011, 03:41:15 AMI'm using a blank VG99 patch for control of external midi, rather than controlling any internal VG stuff.

Can be assigned to S1/S2? If yes, then the answer is NO, you can assign up to 34 targets using the the ASSIGN section of CONTOL ASSIGN in combination with the GK section of CONTROL ASSIGN.
Quote from: 2pods on February 03, 2011, 03:41:15 AMWhat I'm trying to do is imitate an oct up/oct down switch on a synth
Try my suggestion above and see if it works. It should, I would like to know if it does not because it should be a fairly easy thing to do. Edit: I am suggesting you use the VG to switch octaves and not telling the outboard synth to switch. In other words you will be sending +/-octave MIDI notes from the VG and the synth octave will not change. Also, even if you are not using the VG internal sound the GTR TO MIDI still will send any CC# events set up in the CONTOL ASSIGN section, you are not limited to the controls in the GTR to MIDI section. Hope this helps.

2pods

Thanks, I'll give it go when I'm in front of my VG99 later

I meant that are there only two source selections overall ?

The manual isn't that great, apart from listing parameters

Brent Flash

Quote from: 2pods on February 03, 2011, 07:55:47 AM
I meant that are there only two source selections overall ?
Sorry, I am not understanding the question.

sixeight

There are two possible button-to-cc assignments possible in the Guitar-to-MIDI patch section, but you can also do a permanent assignment under system - MIDI - TX CC (page 7). You could set GK VOL to CC #7 and have that assignment in all your patches. That frees up the other two assignments in the patch.

2pods

2pods

I've successfully set control 1 to +1 octave in a  patch.
Now I'm wondering what I can do with control 2  8)

Brent Flash

Quote from: 2pods on February 05, 2011, 08:14:07 AM
I've successfully set control 1 to +1 octave in a  patch.
Now I'm wondering what I can do with control 2  8)
Rotary speaker on/off?  8)

2pods

yup that would do it.

Is it possible to have two diiferent tunings per control switch eg +1 oct control 1, -1 oct control 2, and normal pictch with no switch in a patch ?

Brent Flash

Quote from: 2pods on February 05, 2011, 08:25:31 AM
yup that would do it.

Is it possible to have two diiferent tunings per control switch eg +1 oct control 1, -1 oct control 2, and normal pictch with no switch in a patch ?
If I understand your question, the answer would be yes.

2pods

Sorry if I'm not too clear.

I used to deal with midi stuff all the time, from the old casio CZ synths, right through the hardware sequencers like the old Yamaha QX7, Alesis MMT8, and all manner of Roland drum machines, GI10, Yammie G50 guitar midi (right back to the old Casio MGs) etc, etc, but sine I've had Fibromyalgia, manual reading is like herding cats for me now.

I appreciate your help, thanks.

Brent Flash

Quote from: 2pods on February 05, 2011, 08:41:01 AM
Sorry if I'm not too clear.

I used to deal with midi stuff all the time, from the old casio CZ synths, right through the hardware sequencers like the old Yamaha QX7, Alesis MMT8, and all manner of Roland drum machines, GI10, Yammie G50 guitar midi (right back to the old Casio MGs) etc, etc, but sine I've had Fibromyalgia, manual reading is like herding cats for me now.

I appreciate your help, thanks.
No problem, glad to help. Yes, I remember all those. I hated the Roland sequencer!  :P
I still have the original DX7 and can program it. Got a Roland D-50 that I still love. And a Vox jaguar combo organ in great shape that my parents bought me in 1967.

Sorry to hear about the Fibromyalgia, don't know much about it, but it sounds bad. I have been pretty lucky, health wise.
Let me know if you have more questions.