Can a GK3 installed guitar be used to drive VB99?

Started by MCK, April 21, 2010, 09:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MCK

Anyone tried this? What is the shortest scale that can be defined in the VB99? If it can go down to 25.5' then I can't see why it should not work just like a short scale 6 string bass. Any thoughts? Thanks for your input!

fokof

I tried it and it track until the D4 wich would be like the 26th fret of a 6 string bass.
Over that register , it doesn't track at all.

My guess is that a VG99 doesn't track below A2 .....

The shortest scale is 710mm on a VB99 (28")

MCK

Thanks much for that. I will be ok then. I intend to use a 28.5" scale baritone guitar connected to both. Currently its tuned a full step down but I can try and find a better compromise tuning between the VG & VB. This is going to be fun. Thanks for your input.

fokof

On a related note , I tried a set of piccolo strings and got the same limitations ; doesn't track over the D4 (17th fret , G string)

Surprisingly enough , the pitch to MIDI tracking is not faster with Piccolo strings....    :o

Ingesecition

Anyone tried this? What is the shortest scale that can be defined in the VB99? If it can go down to 25.5' then I can't see why it should not work just like a short scale 6 string bass. Any thoughts?

montyrivers

I think there will be problems as the gk hex inputs are processed with a different frequency range in mind on the vb99 than a vg99.  On the highest registers you might have notes glitch or just warble and cut out, similar to if you mounted a gk3 upside down and tried playing a vg99 without turning on the reverse setting.  I haven't tried it in a VB99 myself but I don't think the end result would be useable.  MAYBE if you used a baritone guitar tuned down to B or something, but even then I don't know how well it would perform playing past the 12th fret.

gumtown

I have tried a guitar on the GR-55, while it is selected to "bass mode" and things start filtering off above the 7th fret.
If the VB-99 is like the GR-55 then the input is bandwidth filtered within 'normal instrument' range.
I don't know if the VB-99 has a scale length setting in the Gk set menu, but it might adjust the filter range.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

We need LPHovercraft (who owns both VG-99 and VB-99) or MCK ( who used to own both as well), or VanceG  to report their thoughts on using guitar with VB-99
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3110.msg53510#msg53510

I do recall this statement is true:

the VB-99 is like the GR-55 then the input is bandwidth filtered within 'normal (Bass) instrument' range.

Antonuzzo

I promised before Christmas that I'd do a comprehensive test on this. I'll do it this weekend.

I have a VG-99, VB-99, VG-8 and a GR-09, so I'll try guitar and bass on each.

Elantric

Antonuzzo reports this information, perhaps other VB-99 owners can verify.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10549.msg76279#msg76279
QuoteAs promised I have (finally) done a comprehensive mix-and-match test of the various Roland pickup and V-Devices that I have.

The test equipment was a 24-fret Jackson Eliminator bass fitted with a GK-3b, a 22-fret Dean V with a GK-2a and a Rubbish lap steel also with a GK-2a.

Here we go...

GK-2a ( 22-fret Dean V Guitar) and VB-99

As it happens, they play very nicely indeed. No glitches or cutoffs anywhere, even when using a slide on the high E right up to the bridge. Tracking was fine, MIDI was responsive to the same degree as the VG-99. The sounds were a bit odd as you might guess; the fretless and acoustic bass models just didn't sound right on such thin strings.

But the bottom line is: it works.

GK-3b (24-fret Jackson Eliminator bass) and VG-99

This works just dandy. No dropped notes, glitches or cutoffs over the full range of the bass. MIDI is a tad more sluggish - I recall mention of the VB-99 having a faster processor than the VG-99 but certainly, the MIDI on the VB-99 is slow and here it's torturous.

Otherwise, it's fun. Many strange sounds to be had from banjo and sitar patches, but no problems in terms of compatibility.

GK-3b (24-fret Jackson Eliminator bass) and VG-8

Again, no problems! It responds perfectly with no dead notes or glitches. No MIDI here of course, and the banjo patches sound even weirder.

Where this shines is HRM. There are some amazing synth tones to be eked out of the VG-8 and they suit the lower register really well, with a richness and fullness that are unique. I am going to play around with this more.

GK-3b (24-fret Jackson Eliminator bass) and GR-09

The joker in the pack and the only fail in the test. Anything above the 9th fret on the G string triggers (albeit with a noticeable delay), anything else... well, you occasionally get the harmonic. But mostly, it just doesn't respond at all.

Hope this is of interest.

fokof

Strange........
I tried a GK2 with a guitar  on my VB99 and... well , I'll quote myself from a previous answer of this thread:

"I tried it and it track until the D4 wich would be like the 26th fret of a 6 string bass.
Over that register , it doesn't track at all.

My guess is that a VG99 doesn't track below A2 .....

The shortest scale is 710mm on a VB99 (28") "