DMXIS Lighting Controller with Helix and or Apple Mainstage 3.1.1

Started by guitarnstuff, November 26, 2017, 03:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitarnstuff

Let me explain my rig. I am using a Mac OSX laptop with Line6 Helix as the audio interface for Mainstage 3.1.1 with softsynths driven by a Fishman Tripleplay midi guitar controller. This is a rock solid setup which performs without glitches (knock on wood). Even after the 2.30 update. I just introduced DMXIS lighting controller and software to the mix. I am hoping to control our bands lighting. For example, lighting programs will switch via midi when I step on a snapshot.

I set up and used Mac IAC driver and chose the driver within DMXIS software. This configuration caused my Helix to intermittently lock up to the point of needing a restart. So I tried choosing (with DMXIS) both IAC and Helix. This also caused lock ups as well as doubling the tempo bmp reading within DMXIS. I even tried not using IAC and sending banks and preset messages straight from my Helix Command Center to DMXIS (without IAC checked). In all combos I have intermittent lockups of my Helix OR strange bank behavior within DMXIS in which the banks switch properly but then immediately switches to and sticks on bank three.

So, I also tried to set up using DMXIS plugin within Mainstage. The presets do not save appropriately within the Mainstage patches. I also have intermittent freezes in this regard.

I even tried only DMXIS and Helix together (not booting up Mainstage). Helix still has intermittent freezes when connected to DMXIS. It seems as the two started off to a horrible relationship.

I have poured about 15 hours of problem solving time into this over my Thanksgiving Holiday. I'm out of ideas. Anyone that is using DMXIS with Helix or Mainstage or has strong midi knowledge, please help. Thank you!

sixeight

Is midi out from the DMXIS connected to the Helix? What happens if you just connect midi out from the Helix to midi in of the DMXIS?

It could be that the DMXIS is sending multiple program change midi messages in short succession. That will freeze up any modeler.

I accidently did this with a Line6 M13 lately, where the expression pedal was sending PC messages from my VController.

You could run MIDI Monitor on your Mac and check the midi traffic from the DMXIS if the earlier suggestion does not fix your problem.

gumtown

Just like Sixeight said,
freezing can be caused from midi feedback loops.
In the Helix (if possible) disable the midi PC Receive, or disable the midi output from DMXIS.
Only enable the data pipelines which are required.

I use a windows laptop running Freestyler DMX, with pre-programmed lighting sequences, connected via a long USB cable to a custom built 10 button midi foot pedal board with a fader and tempo knob, and wireless DMX transmitter.
Works great for me, I use 120 DMX channels for 16 PAR cans, 6 rotating gobos, 8 blinders, 6 lasers, and 2 smoke machines.
With the wireless DMX, most of the lighting fixtures are pre installed and wired onto lighting bars, just hang up and power on.
The same laptop also runs a screen saver called Kaleider (random kaleidoscope generator) out to a video projected backdrop.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

guitarnstuff

Quote from: sixeight on November 26, 2017, 11:02:43 PM
Is midi out from the DMXIS connected to the Helix? What happens if you just connect midi out from the Helix to midi in of the DMXIS?

It could be that the DMXIS is sending multiple program change midi messages in short succession. That will freeze up any modeler.

I accidently did this with a Line6 M13 lately, where the expression pedal was sending PC messages from my VController.

You could run MIDI Monitor on your Mac and check the midi traffic from the DMXIS if the earlier suggestion does not fix your problem.

Yes, I think I need to figure out how to use MIDI Monitoring to figure out the flow of MIDI within the Mac computer from and to each device as all of this is through USB MIDI and not 5 pin midi. See https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DMXIS

sixeight