Butchering a GK-3 - or should thet be 're-purposing'?

Started by Alwi, November 16, 2017, 05:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alwi

Hi,
Has anyone used the parts of an external GK-3 and fitted them internally? I have two GK-3s and would rather not buy the internal kit if I don't need to.

All comments appreciated.

Thanks

gvidelock

-------------------------

Godin Spectrum SA
Godin Freeway SA
Fender Telecaster with Ghost and Hexpander
Fender Stratocaster with internal GK3 with Synth-Linx
Warmoth custom with internal GK3
Boss SY-1000
Roland GR-55
Roland GP-10
Katana 100W Head

Alwi

Thanks. I did a search but nothing came up. I've already pulled the trigger on the Synth-link socket, just investigating whether I can get away with not purchasing the external kit.

Alwi

Great post - looks like I'm buying the kit.... There is no way that I could fit the external board without major routing. I will have to do some mods to the existing cavity, but it would need to be much bigger to go this way. The internal kit looks much easier to accommodate.

admin

Read full details on converting external GK-3 to Internal here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1082.0

Convert old GK-2A to Internal
http://jbwid.com/guitar/gk2a.htm

But having been there / done that

Your best option is below
Best price for purchasing official GK-KIT-GT3 Internal Kit 75 british pounds = $130 USD with shipping USA under a week
https://www.andertons.co.uk/roland-gk3-internal-pickup-kit-%28for-use-with-roland-guitar-synths%29-gkkitgt3

gvidelock

Thanks. At the end of the post I said that I wouldn't do it again and would buy the internal kit...which I did on my next guitar.

I have a strat-like body that a friend made for me back in the late '80's. It had a relatively inexpensive neck we bought at a local music shop. It sat on the shelf, mostly unplayed, for 25 years or so when I decided to give it a new life.

I bought a roasted-maple neck (with roasted-maple fretboard) from Warmoth, changed the pickup configuration to H-H (with some Seymour Duncans) and added the internal GK-3.

It is now my only gigging axe and all my other guitars are suffering it's former fate (sitting on the shelf).

I bought the internal kit from Anderton's Music in the UK (when it was on sale) and with shipping to the US, it was a bargain.

Good luck with your installation.
-------------------------

Godin Spectrum SA
Godin Freeway SA
Fender Telecaster with Ghost and Hexpander
Fender Stratocaster with internal GK3 with Synth-Linx
Warmoth custom with internal GK3
Boss SY-1000
Roland GR-55
Roland GP-10
Katana 100W Head

chrish

Quote from: Alwi on November 16, 2017, 07:15:46 AM
Great post - looks like I'm buying the kit.... There is no way that I could fit the external board without major routing. I will have to do some mods to the existing cavity, but it would need to be much bigger to go this way. The internal kit looks much easier to accommodate.
I agree purchase the internal kit. Anderton's UK still has a few in stock and I was able to get one recently shipped in about 3 days to the  US for $111.00. So it should be a little more or less depending on the exchange rate.

whippinpost91850

I agree I have bought 3 from Andertons , Very inexpensive and very quick shipping to US

Alwi

Yeah - Andertons seems to have the best price at the moment. £85

mooncaine

I also recommend Anderton's. I had an internal and external GK shipped to me in the States.

HAMERMAN409

Now that Andertons has the internal kit at a reasonable price I would probably go that way these days. Having said that years ago the internal kits were considerably more expensive so I have internally mounted  two different standard GK pickups (One was a Yamaha G1D and the other a Roland GK2A or GK3).

HAMERMAN409

Here are the two guitars - a Hamer Chaparral Sustainer and a Steinberger Spirit GL. In both cases I have the DIN13 on the back and use a right angle GK cable. Both guitars also have the UP/DN buttons inside a pickup ring.

Alwi

Nice! Do you have a pic of how you mounted the buttons?