Electricity

Started by scrutinizer, November 11, 2017, 06:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrutinizer

So for a while now, I've been thinking that 125 - 127 volts that typically shows on my Carvin AC120S power conditioner is not doing my gear any favors.  Do you guys think this is a problem?  Thinking about a Tripp Lite LCR2400.  I have looked at the description for this unit but cannot determine if it always provides 120v or if it only defaults to 120v during extremely low and extremely high surges.  I am pasting the overview below for your reading pleasure.  Does anyone else worry about this issue and do you all use voltage regulators (not just conditioners....but regulators too)?  It would seem to me that constant exposure to voltage higher than 120 for our gear is shortening its life.  Any help would be greatly appreciated before I spend this money. 

Overview:

The LCR2400 2400W 120V Power Conditioner adjusts under- and overvoltages to provide safe, computer-grade AC power that meets ANSI C84.1 specifications. Built-in automatic voltage regulation (AVR) offers three levels of voltage stabilization that correct undervoltages as low as 89V and overvoltages as high as 147V back to regulated 120V nominal power. Providing optimum voltage conditions not only extends the life of your equipment, but also keeps your equipment working through brownouts and prolonged overvoltage conditions.

A network-grade 1440-joule surge suppression rating exceeds the IEEE-587 standard for surge suppression (both categories A and B) and prevents even the strongest spikes from inflicting damage, data loss or corruption and audio/video performance problems on your connected equipment. EMI/RFI noise filtering protects your AC line from disruptive electromagnetic and radio interference.

Just connect the space-saving NEMA 5-15P right-angle plug with 12-foot cord to an AC power source, and plug up to 14 devices into the NEMA 5-15R outlets. The outlets are arranged in two isolated filter banks, which use Tripp Lite's exclusive Isobar® technology to prevent mutual interference from causing audio/video distortion, computer lockups or data errors. Front-panel diagnostic LEDs indicate AC power, incoming voltage level and AC line status. The LCR2400 mounts in 3U of standard 19-inch rack space using the included hardware.

Life would be a whole lot more fun if I had more money!

Shingles

That's less than 5% over.
Speaking as an electronics design engineer, that's really not worth worrying about.

Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3

CodeSmart

Most countries accept steady state voltage level within +/- 10% of nominal.
This means for USA 108-132V and Europe 207-253V.

Governed by IEEE and IEC etc, there are standards that must be complied with and these affect both the producers of power as well as the manufacturers of consumer products.

On the secondary side of all power supplies there's regulating electronics providing safe and stable voltage at a fixed level regardless of variations in input voltage.

I don't think you should be worried.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

gumtown

Electrical supply stability has never bothered me, some of my oldest gear,
1200 watt 2U MOSFET PA amp is nearly 30 years old and gigged regularly, it has never missed a beat.

The worst case worry would be a lightning strike on the power lines, I usually use a MOV/Surge protected power distribution plug-box.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

scrutinizer

Thanks guys....very helpful in alleviating my fears.  I had an almost top of the line Sweetwater Creation Station (next model down) get fried a couple of years ago (2015) and I have been concerned since.  My Furman PL-Plus Series ll Power Conditioner was always showing around the same voltage (125 -127) and I always wondered if that was ok.  (*side note...purchased Furman and computer in 2007)
Sent the computer to Sweetwater and they said everything was fried (hard drive, board, transformer, etc) as if a major power spike had hit it, but the Furman was unaffected... well...to my knowledge anyway... still provides power from all outlets I believe.  I felt like 8 years was a little short if the computer fried on its own and simply accepted that lightening must have hit the lines and bypassed circuits in the Furman somehow to hit the Creation Station directly.  Hard telling not knowing...but am told electricity is a tricky thing that cannot be harnessed or truly stopped due to its unpredictable nature. 

gumtown, can you recommend a decent MOV/Surge protected power distribution plug-box. I'm interested. 
Thanks everyone.   

vtgearhead

Many high-end power conditioners come with a warranty against equipment damage.  Did you try pursuing that? 

chrish

Quote from: gumtown on November 12, 2017, 12:09:20 AM
Electrical supply stability has never bothered me, some of my oldest gear,
1200 watt 2U MOSFET PA amp is nearly 30 years old and gigged regularly, it has never missed a beat.

The worst case worry would be a lightning strike on the power lines, I usually use a MOV/Surge protected power distribution plug-box.
I use multiple surge protectors and  extensive grounding system for my off-grid solar Electric System. Of course lightning striking a power line is not a concern for me, however a nearby ground or PV panel strike could fry my system. I tend to unplug sensitive Electronics when there is an approaching lightning storm  as an added step of precaution.

I did the same when I was connected to the grid at various different homes that I built and  lived in.

A neighbor of mine lost a bunch of household appliances when his power line connection shorted when two slack utility power lines came into contact during a storm.

scrutinizer

Quote from: snhirsch on November 12, 2017, 08:27:25 AM
Many high-end power conditioners come with a warranty against equipment damage.  Did you try pursuing that?

I did not.  I think... because at the time... I was suspicious of the response from Sweetwater.  Also, the Furman was unaffected, which gave my suspicions a little credibility.  I've never had equipment damage due to spikes or lightening before so my thinking was that, "if the Creation Station was toast, the Furman should be toast too."  It's been a couple years, but I think that is where my mind was then with this thing and how it all played out.  I didn't want to hold Furman responsible for an issue that might not have been their responsibility... as a company.  Just didn't seem right not knowing for sure. 

scrutinizer

Quote from: chrish on November 12, 2017, 09:18:51 AM
I use multiple surge protectors and  extensive grounding system for my off-grid solar Electric System. Of course lightning striking a power line is not a concern for me, however a nearby ground or PV panel strike could fry my system. I tend to unplug sensitive Electronics when there is an approaching lightning storm  as an added step of precaution.

I did the same when I was connected to the grid at various different homes that I built and  lived in.

A neighbor of mine lost a bunch of household appliances when his power line connection shorted when two slack utility power lines came into contact during a storm.

I think there were only a couple times where I unplugged the system before an approaching storm before moving to our current apartment.  Although I do not recall any storm back then causing the damage, I definitely unplug now ever since that happened as my thinking is that it only takes one time.  I shall take other precautions and use multiple protectors too.  Thank you