Where are we heading with vguitarforums?

Started by sixeight, October 21, 2017, 11:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixeight

Lately I have noticed there is more discussion about programming and diy solutions on vguitarforums and there seems to be fewer patches shared.

Which probably means folks are looking more for solutions than sounds.

OK, I admit. I wasn't doing much programming when I joined, and now I guess I am slowly becoming a total geek  ;D

So is it just my perception or is vguitarforums really changing?

Elantric

Its more  a reaction to MFGs delivering products that are 80% solutions to our needs, while we must apply DIY/Hacks to achieve the missing 20% .

The Roland/ Boss newest Guitar to MIDI box ( GP-10) shipping without 5 pin MIDI I/O jacks is one example.

And while Im happy with what we offer to members, we never intended this to be only  a patch sharing site

sixeight

QuoteAnd while Im happy with what we offer to members, we never intended this to be only  a patch sharing site

I know. But it was an important reason for me to join.

chrish

Quote from: sixeight on October 21, 2017, 12:57:49 PM
I know. But it was an important reason for me to join.
What kind of patches are you looking for?

vtgearhead

I find the extreme geeky stuff much more useful than patches.  Patches tend to be built around someone else's personal playing style and don't necessarily translate to mine when I load them up. 

Personally, I would find a sub-forum or thread on general MI related coding questions to be useful.  Ditto for one dedicated to electronic design and repair.

aliensporebomb

I've got new unreleased patches but some of them aren't going to be what most people who look for patches want! 

I just stumble across things sometimes and make a patch.   I'm not done, not even close.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

gumtown

This just came to mind when thinking of an analogy to sharing patches vs learning how to make your own..
I think this originated from a similar quote from somewhere..

"It is best to teach a man how to fish for himself, rather than give him one fish."
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

chrish

Quote from: gumtown on October 21, 2017, 05:42:16 PM
This just came to mind when thinking of an analogy to sharing patches vs learning how to make your own..
I think this originated from a similar quote from somewhere..

"It is best to teach a man how to fish for himself, rather than give him one fish."
I think the quote is;give a man a patch and he plays for a day, teach a man to program the VG 99 and he plays for a lifetime :)

gumtown

That's it !!  ;D
this could be the V-Guitars Forum motto..

Quote from: chrish on October 21, 2017, 05:48:34 PM
give a man a patch and he plays for a day, teach a man to program the VG 99 and he plays for a lifetime
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

roachone

I need to learn how to post patches for the GP-10. I have quite I few I need to share. Hopefully soon I'll take the time to learn how.

Elantric

Personally, I would find a sub-forum or thread on general MI related coding questions to be useful.  Ditto for one dedicated to electronic design and repair.

DIY areas
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=21.0

Vade

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

Kevin M

The patches are cool and appreciated, but the real gold here are in the technical discussions, insights, and links to new bits and bites.

sixeight

Quote from: chrish on October 21, 2017, 01:49:32 PM
What kind of patches are you looking for?

It was nine years ago I joined vguitarforums. So now I'm not particularly looking for patches anymore. The best patches for me are the ones that I made myself.

Now I enjoy being able to join in the technical and programming discussions on this forum.

This forum now has a different focus than earlier. I just wanted to look at the direction it has taken.

But if you have great patches that you have not shared yet, please do so. I always check out new patches.

Brak(E)man

Apart from the technical aspects , the patch and knowledge sharing I am happily amazed at the very friendly and helpful not competitive atmosphere this forum have compared to almost every other forum I've visited or been involved in.

the members , moderators , Elantric , thank you all !!

It's simply nice to ask a question here, knowing that I'm not going to be jumped on.
the knowledge and openmindness are at high level !
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

rolandvg99

Totaly agree with Mr Backman. The fact that the admins led by Steve are so active, knowledgeable and positive is the main reason vguitarforums keeps its positive tone.

Patches are, at least for me, a very small part of this experience. The genuine interest shown by users and posters, in the way they share technical knowledge and solutions to technical challenges with the gear on offer, is for me the main reason to frequent these forums.

A big round of applause to everyone running this ship.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

sixeight

Quote from: chrish on October 21, 2017, 05:48:34 PM
I think the quote is;give a man a patch and he plays for a day, teach a man to program the VG 99 and he plays for a lifetime :)

Maybe the quote should be :

Give a man a patch and he plays for a day, teach a man how to program the VG-99 and he will not be able to play longer than 5 minutes without returning to patch editing mid song. ;D

Teach a man how to program an Arduino or Raspberry Pi and he will not touch the guitar for a month.  ;D ;D

vtgearhead

Quote from: sixeight on October 22, 2017, 03:40:09 AM
Teach a man how to program an Arduino or Raspberry Pi and he will not touch the guitar for a month.  ;D ;D

<sigh...>  There is great truth in that statement.

GuitarBuilder

I like the direction Vguitar Forums has taken!
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

chrish

So I was doing a gear search on Google and on the second page this showed up.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1799.0

It's the perfect example of what I think 6/8 is getting at.

It has some patches for the VG 99 and then it has instruction on how the sound that the Edge uses is created.

There are links to other website  instruction along with video links for the demo. Kind of the perfect patch thread and it starts with someone asking a question.

The patches themselves, as mentioned before don't alway's sound the same as the setup someone may have at home.

Guitars, amps,speakers, personal technique and all kinds of things influence the sound.

I think a perfect example of this is, I downloaded a GR300 Metheny patch for the VG 99 and it really sounds pretty bad on my setup. However when you listen to the person's demo it sounds pretty good.

So a person really needs the programming knowledge to tweak that patch to their gear.

Just studying how the creator of the patch adjusted the parameters is an education in itself (example; Smash's modulation Matrix on 'Nylon Escapism'). As knowledge and skill are accumulated, pretty soon you're creating your own patches.

And that's what a few of the better music websites out there excel at, education  by example.

Headless68

VGuitar forums has taught me a lot, given me the info and confidence to do build work I would not have attempted myself otherwise .......and its cost me a lot in gear acquisition :-)
Long may it continue

Smash

Quote from: Headless68 on October 22, 2017, 11:30:34 AM
VGuitar forums has taught me a lot, given me the info and confidence to do build work I would not have attempted myself otherwise .......and its cost me a lot in gear acquisition :-)
Long may it continue

Which I have benefited at least once from due to your buy/try/say goodbye gear cycles lol!  ;D

Brilliant resource which initially - I stress initially - I thought was a bit heavy handed on the moderation/redirection stuff but actually it is totally necessary and has made my "machine gun" searches (you know when you get something in your head and want to know everything about it immediately?) bear fruit. Absolutely Elantric deserves thanks but also Adam Sustainiac who it feels goes a little unnoticed sometimes despite the clear amount of man hours put in.

So in summary - I'm just incredibly thankful a) it's here b) it's well curated by a number of voluntary souls c) nothing "drops off the edge" and so it's the ultimate archive. d) for the contributors - nigh on everything I put into patch creation has something to do with stuff I learned here.

Flavour of the month is always something new - Katana at the moment, but what next? Still exciting times...

whippinpost91850

I believe Elantric and Adminsustainiac are one and the same

chlorinemist

I mostly just find the alternatives from newer companies much more exciting than the old Roland guitar synths. I'd love to trade patches with other users on the platforms I use but so far i seem to be among the first and only people employing the equipment I use towards guitar synth purposes.

Atm I'm using a Cycfi Nu 6, the Spicetone 6Appeal, Futuresonus Parva multitimbral analog polysynth (w/ FTP) and an Eventide H8000 and I now deal with none of the limitations I used to have to deal with when I had my old GK-Strat + GR-33 setup long ago. All the things I wished were possible are now totally do-able. I use software to cover all my digital synthesis needs currently but I'm very interested in the new Roland D-05, with it's multi-mono mode and multitimbral functions.

It makes a lot of sense to me for Roland to move focus to FTP-friendly synthesizers rather than dedicated guitar synths. Other companies (namely Cycfi) have proven themselves much more capable of creating a serious platform for multichannel audio guitar processing. Eventide's H9000 in particular will be the ultimate fully hex-octophonic string processing solution for the foreseeable future IMO, the kind proper answer to the AxeFX for hex-equipped guitars that Roland could only ever dream of building.

Also I would be overjoyed if future hex/poly guitar products started adopting Cycfi's 19 pin LEMO standard instead of Roland's crappy plastic 13 pin cables.

chrish

How's the "Futuresonus Parva multitimbral analog polysynth (w/ FTP)" working out as far as pitch tracking goes?

It would be nice to hear a demo of that combination.

The FTP USB dongle can just plug right into the synth correct?

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on October 23, 2017, 06:55:57 AM
I believe Elantric and Adminsustainiac are one and the same
I was wondering if that was the case.