Kemper Profiler

Started by lespauled, August 12, 2017, 07:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lespauled

A couple of months ago, I sold off some gear, and bought a Kemper.  I am completely blown away by it.  I know that I'm passed the "newness factor", and still say "wow" fairly regularly.  It is, hands down, the best piece of equipment that I have ever bought.  The profiling takes about a minute to complete.  There is a small manual that gives you all the tips you need to create exact profiles of your amps, effects processors, etc.   I had several modelers over the years, that I never sold off.  I started profiling the presets that I liked from those units.  I now have (not just) those exact sounds in the kemper, but the clarity of those sounds is superior to the originals.

Being that it was around $1800 for the unit, I was a little skeptical, but after watching and reading a ton of reviews, I knew I had to get one.  It might seem a little expensive for a guitar processor, but if you think of it as an amp, it's basically the cheapest amp on the planet, since it has all the other amps in it.

The profiles (called rigs) sounds and have the same response as the real amp.  It responds perfectly when you roll the volume down on your guitar.  In fact, there are settings where you can adjust the volume of the rolled down, clean, tone to match the vriven colume.

There are over 10,000 free profiles on their website (Rig Exchange), as well as third party vendors selling profile packages.  You could spend weeks checking out various profiles.

It's truly an amazing piece of gear.  I couldn't be happier with it.

BackDAWman

Before I got my Kemper the best modeller I used was Bias on my ipad air 2 with a focusrite dock. Unfortunately it was crashing regularly on me so I bit the bullet and forked out for the Kemper. I have never looked back. The flexibility and control is awesome, especially now I have the foot controller as well. I don't even have to look back at my amp. It's all there in front of me at my feet.

I did profile all my bias amps into the profiler before ditching it.

GuitarBuilder

Same here!  I had an extensive collection of amps; I profiled them all and now they are for sale, except for my 100W Katana head - that one I'm keeping!

I route my Kemper into a 1000W Crown PA amp - plenty of headroom and air movement.  It rivals my 100W Marshall heads with ease.  Plus I now have Fender, Mesa, HiWatt, etc.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

thebrushwithin

QuoteSame here!  I had an extensive collection of amps; I profiled them all and now they are for sale, except for my 100W Katana head - that one I'm keeping!

Would you mind profiling and sharing your Katana? Haven't seen one done yet.
The KPA is a real game changer, almost 5yrs for me and it still excites me, especially with all of the incredible onboard effects updates!

GuitarBuilder

whippinpost91850

Congrats on the Kemper, lespauled...
I have been happily gigging with mine for 5 years and definitly the best piece of gear . I have ever bought and I'm no spring chicken (66) 67 next month
And yes it is definatly a great sounding and feeling AMP and happens to have some excellent effects as well

vablows

I agree with all of the above, I am on my 4th year of Kemper bliss after taking the plunge and going for it.

I had a rack with a VHT 2/90/2, Hughes &Kettner Access preamp, and a Lexicon MPX with the foot controller.
Absolutely amazing rig, but I was tired of hauling it and the 4X12 cab.

Took a shot on the Kemper and never looked back.

I use the Remote as well.

It integrates seamlessly with the synth rig, whereas with the old rig I had to go to the PA for my synth sounds and levels were a little unpredictable.

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: vablows on August 16, 2017, 05:07:56 PM
It integrates seamlessly with the synth rig, whereas with the old rig I had to go to the PA for my synth sounds and levels were a little unpredictable.

Can you share your setup connections with us?

vablows

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on August 17, 2017, 09:24:26 AM
Can you share your setup connections with us?

Sure!

Guitar goes to input on Kemper.
Yamaha Motif XS rack outs to Kemper stereo loop in.

I then engage or disengage the effects loop if I need synth or not.
I sometimes use both together, especially when using the Motif to do 12 string acoustic guitars blended with electric guitar.

I use a Fishman Triple Play with the FC-1 and that goes MIDI out to MIDI in on the Motif.

I use a Line 6 G10 wireless for my guitar so I am completely wireless.

I mostly go direct to FOH but sometimes I use my Atomic CLR as my backline when needed.

That is what I use at home to monitor and create my tones as well.