GP-10 - Toggle Exp Pedal Functions - Ideas?

Started by scattitude, June 26, 2017, 09:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scattitude

OK, here's a question for the GP-10 Jedi's out there:

I want to create a patch function whereby the expression PEDAL - NOT switch, toggles between two functions: volume up and down and wah-sweep (I am actually looking to do this with EXP-2, plugged in as an external expression pedal).  I have CTL-1 set to toggle wah on and off (yes, I know about the toe-switch on EXP-1, but don't use it because it is twitchy and goes on and off intermittently).  So my goal is to have my EXP-2 pedal work as a volume pedal when CTL-1 is OFF; and as a wah pedal when CTL-1 is ON.  And I do NOT want it to control volume while the wah is on at the same time, otherwise - obviously, the volume of my wah will decrease when the filter sweeps down.  I can't seem to find a solution on the "ASSIGN" page.  Any takers?  Thanks in advance.

beatpete

Not withe the Foot Volume because there's no way to toggle it on or off. Because i don't use EQ as an EQ, I use it for other stuff (usually level changes with no eq). You could set up an assign (control 1) to turn the eq on/off and then another assign to control eq level with EXP2. You'll have to set Control 1 to "patch setting" under "system function" and then wah on/off" under "patch function".

scattitude

Quote from: beatpete on June 26, 2017, 09:37:32 AM
Not withe the Foot Volume because there's no way to toggle it on or off. Because i don't use EQ as an EQ, I use it for other stuff (usually level changes with no eq). You could set up an assign (control 1) to turn the eq on/off and then another assign to control eq level with EXP2. You'll have to set Control 1 to "patch setting" under "system function" and then wah on/off" under "patch function".

Thanks beatpete, but I think you misunderstood my question.  This has nothing to do with turning EQ on or off.  And you CAN turn the foot volume on and off using the assign function.  But the question has to do with toggling the EXPRESSION PEDAL function between wah and volume determined by the on-off status of the CTL-1 switch.  I'm afraid you are still a Padawan, my friend!

Brak(E)man

You know that you can set the sensitivity on the toe-switch on EXP-1 ?
That's the easiest way and I use like that , no problems.
You can do it with exp 2 assign also.
Change the ctl-1 toggle direction on either volume assign or wha
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

scattitude

Quote from: Brak(E)man on June 26, 2017, 10:10:35 AM

Thanks, Brak.  That doesn't answer my problem, but thanks for the tip on calibrating the toe-switch - just found it!

Cups

Use two assigns. One to turn on and off the volume and one to turn on and off the wha.  Set both to ExP 2. Just make sure they are opposite each other.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: scattitude on June 26, 2017, 12:30:37 PM
Thanks, Brak.  That doesn't answer my problem, but thanks for the tip on calibrating the toe-switch - just found it!
It does or I'm not understanding what you want to be able to do

- Lydia Lunch

Cups

What I suggested might not work. Unless you assign the switching to CTR and then use another assign for the sweep? Don't know if that's possible.

beatpete

Quote from: Brak(E)man on June 26, 2017, 10:10:35 AM

Actually you can't turn the foot volume on/off anywhere, you can only control min, max, level and curve. This is why I suggest using the EQ LIKE a foot volume. by using one assign (CTL1) to turn EQ on/off, another (CTL1) to turn wah on off, and another (EXP2) to control level of the EQ (simulating a foot volume). The only issue might be that you can't get volume to off using EQ.

Also, I had a "touchy" EXP switch as well so I returned the GP-10 and the new one is fine. The built in EXP pedal is obviously the easiest way to achieve what you're after.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: beatpete on June 28, 2017, 07:33:12 AM
Actually you can't turn the foot volume on/off anywhere, you can only control min, max, level and curve. This is why I suggest using the EQ LIKE a foot volume. by using one assign (CTL1) to turn EQ on/off, another (CTL1) to turn wah on off, and another (EXP2) to control level of the EQ (simulating a foot volume). The only issue might be that you can't get volume to off using EQ.

Also, I had a "touchy" EXP switch as well so I returned the GP-10 and the new one is fine. The built in EXP pedal is obviously the easiest way to achieve what you're after.
You can assign exp 2 to any volume or level
and yes the built in exp is the best and easiest choice

- Lydia Lunch

scattitude

Quote from: beatpete on June 28, 2017, 07:33:12 AM

Thanks, Beatpete.  Some good ideas there.  I almost returned the GP-10 for the touchy EXP switch.  Brak suggested adjusting EXP Switch sensitivity, so I checked and could not find it in the manual, BUT it is a parameter in the SYSTEM settings.  Now it's tailored to my liking and usable again.  I will try some suggestions by others - I think I overlooked some options on the ASSIGN page.  Thanks all.

scattitude

So conclusions so far:

To implement a toggle-on-off function, that effect needs to have an associated "on-off" parameter available to be linked to a controller (CTL1).  The FV (foot volume), as far as I can tell does not have an on-off parameter (always active), so using ASSSIGN is of no help.  If I've missed something, let me know.  So...using another effect's volume parameter assigned to EXP2, and toggling that volume effect on and off opposite the wah can work.  Unfortunately, I use the EQ for tonal shaping, so I'll explore alternatives.  Not using amp modeling in these patches, so that's out.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: scattitude on June 30, 2017, 10:49:33 PM
So conclusions so far:

To implement a toggle-on-off function, that effect needs to have an associated "on-off" parameter available to be linked to a controller (CTL1).  The FV (foot volume), as far as I can tell does not have an on-off parameter (always active), so using ASSSIGN is of no help.  If I've missed something, let me know.  So...using another effect's volume parameter assigned to EXP2, and toggling that volume effect on and off opposite the wah can work.  Unfortunately, I use the EQ for tonal shaping, so I'll explore alternatives.  Not using amp modeling in these patches, so that's out.

If you're already using the EQ why wouldn't you use the level for volume ?

(Patch level might be an alternative , it depends on how you want to use volume)

- Lydia Lunch