FTP with Taylor acoustic -

Started by kmesse, May 28, 2017, 06:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmesse

Had FTP on a Yamaha acoustic with zebra strings, worked well. 2 1/8" at bridge, pickup lined up.
Picked up a new guitar, a Taylor. It appears the strings are 1/8" or so wider at the bridge, and the pickup doesn't line up (pic attached). But at the end of the fretboard (left of sound hole) it lines up perfectly. Is it even a feasible option to mount it there? Anyone fit one to an acoustic with this problem?

Mrchevy

I am not a real technical guru but I believe in order for these type pickups to work efficiently, they need to be set in position near the "NODES" of the strings. The size and length of the strings affect where those NODES are. These pickups are mounted close to the bridge because that is the one place that all strings have a common node ( the nut is a common node location also but obviously you cant mount the pickup ON the fretboard. This is just an off the top of my head theory why it would likely not work properly at the end of the fretboard. See diagram and suggest further reading by Googling GUITAR STRING NODES for better understanding. I only know of such a thing regarding nodes because I had done a little research on making wind chimes. It basically has to do with the freq. and harmonics of the strings. I would try setting the pickup evenly under the 2 E strings at the bridge and see if you get satisfactory results. The worst that can happen is to weak of a signal on the E strings or excessive cross talk from the E/A (top) and E/B (bottom) strings.

The insane laughing you hear is probably Einstein laughing at my theory ;D
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

sixeight

QuoteAnyone fit one to an acoustic with this problem?

My Crafter TMVS does not line up straight. It does not give me any problems. at least not that I am aware of. I guess the magnetic field above the pickups is wide enough to still capture the signal.

kmesse

Thanks all. I've got a couple hours so I'll see if centering it will give me adequate pickup on the outside strings. I might have to increase sensitivity on them... I'll post results.

kmesse

Well that was pretty painless actually. Works fine even with the top string at the edge of the top pole. Nice. The bridge is too far from the body edge though, so I'll have to mount it with adhesive to the face.

Smash

I have FTP mounted on Variax Acoustic. No alignment issues but as a fingerstyle player I'm getting a fair few glitches. That said I'm using Maxima gold strings - not zebras.