Started by admin, May 15, 2017, 10:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

http://playjammy.com/

https://www.digitaltrends.com/music/jammy-smart-guitar/

MEET JAMMY, A FOOT-LONG SMART GUITAR FROM RND64 THAT LETS YOU ROCK OUT ANYWHERE
By Lulu Chang — Updated May 15, 2017 8:49 am

WHY IT MATTERS TO YOU
Sometimes, you don't have room on your road trip to bring your full-sized guitar. Luckily, you can bring the foot-long, smart version -- the Jammy
If your justification for jamming out on an air guitar instead of the real deal has always been related to portability issues, get ready to drop that excuse. Meet Jammy, a smart, portable guitar that will ensure that you never say, "I didn't have room" when it comes to toting along your axe.

The latest product from Internet of Things company RnD64 (the maker of AI-powered kitchen assistant Hello Egg), Jammy promises to be "the most compact yet most fully functioning digital guitar ever." Think of it as a guitar without the body. Comprised solely of the strings and fretboard of your traditional instrument, this 21st century answer to an approximately 3,300-year-old invention promises a "full-fledged creative musical experience" at about a quarter of the size.

Featuring steel strings and a full-scale telescopic neck that allows the Jammy to measure just 12.6 inches in its unextended position, this smart guitar promises both a real guitar feeling and genuine acoustic range ... without a real guitar. If you're just learning to play, the LED-equipped frets will show your fingers where to go, and if you don't want to assail your neighbors with your beginner's sounds, you can use the Jammy's direct audio output to stream music straight into your earphones. Alternatively, if you're already a pro, you can use the same output to send sound to an amp.

In free-play mode, you can play the Jammy just as you would a regular acoustic or electric guitar, or if you enter jamming mode, you can select a genre, your back-up band, and live out your on-stage dreams in your living room.

"A desire to take up music often fades away when we realize that it takes long hours of practice to master playing virtually all the instruments," said Dmitry Shemet, RnD64's CEO. "Our product is the perfect solution for inexperienced people who still want to express themselves in music and fully explore their creativity. Its innovative built-in technology gives users a choice of playing modes that help to develop guitar skills organically."

He added, "The unique construction of the neck allows Jammy to fit where your standard 6-stringer never will, providing immersive creative experience anywhere."

The Jammy will be made available in the fourth quarter of 2017 and is currently available for preorder at playjammy.com. While pricing has yet to be announced, you can leave your email address with the company in exchange for a "special price."

Read more: https://www.digitaltrends.com/music/jammy-smart-guitar/#ixzz4hAgg80h8
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | DigitalTrends on Facebook

Hurricane

They require your email before you can see it - - pass

Elantric

https://www.facebook.com/rnd64/

http://blog.playjammy.com/
How do we make Jammy work?

Since the half our team of a bit more than 20 guys and ladies are guitar players themselves, we've taken on this challenge. Obviously, we weren't huge fans of inconveniences our standard-sized guitars caused us during the transportation. Neither were we satisfied with the extremely poor sound range of the available portable guitars.

What could be done about it?  Well, long story short, that's where the first glimpse of a brilliant idea popped into our CTO's head: What if we make a guitar with a neck that would stretch like, say, a telescopic antenna? So the guitar overall would be very small, while its range, somewhat paradoxically, was comparable to the one of a standard-sized guitar.

Jammy's designed so its longest part sits inside—stretch the guitar out and you'll have a fretboard in your left hand that you can slide along the axis in order to change the pitch. It's like you're moving your fingers up and down the neck of your ordinary guitar. This allows Jammy be more compact than any competitor and, at the same time, not limited to 5 frets.

This also allows Marko to carry his Jammy along wherever he goes, having a guitar with real strings and frets always at hand. I could spend another few paragraphs describing how Jammy works and how cool it is, but the video with our first prototype is worth a thousand words...

admin

sixeight

The new version of jammy does look better.

It looks like it does midi as well. They will appear at NAMM2019.

ktat

Curious if anyone here has any experience using this?

https://playjammy.com/

Frankly I have no interest in playing it like a standard guitar replacement.  I would like to know how well it records midi into a DAW.  If I could improve the amount of cleaning up I have do to with midi files I create with the gp-10 I'd buy one immediately!

ktat

I'm actually referring to the new 15 fret model.  Might deserve a new thread?

admin

Quote from:  ktat on May 19, 2019, 07:40:16 AM
Curious if anyone here has any experience using this?

https://playjammy.com/

Frankly I have no interest in playing it like a standard guitar replacement.  I would like to know how well it records midi into a DAW.  If I could improve the amount of cleaning up I have do to with midi files I create with the gp-10 I'd buy one immediately!

If you can play "tapping style" with left hand on fretboard - find any generation "You Rock Guitar" for flawless MIDI

$99
https://www.ebay.com/itm/You-Rock-Guitar-Gen2-white-some-scuffs-on-pick-guard-original-box/303164974357?hash=item46960a6515:g:QpYAAOSwTMpc5vdW

ktat

Here's a video of the 15fret jammy into a laptop via usb

Bill Ruppert

Super Dope?
Wish there was more playing...didn't hear much.

ktat

Right?  Like a budget Synthaxe.  If I could find more information on how well it actually feels usb'ed to a daw/soft synth I'd buy one immediately.

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on May 27, 2019, 09:50:13 AM
Super Dope?
Wish there was more playing...didn't hear much.

Guitar of the future?  I really wish folks would refrain from insulting the guitar by calling this midi controller a musical instrument.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

admin

https://www.amazon.com/Jammy-Guitar-App-Enabled-Controller-Detachable/dp/B07RT68X8F/

Reviews

Amazon Customer
1.0 out of 5 stars Thought it would be better than Jamstik, but I think it's worse.
Reviewed in the United States on September 7, 2019
Verified Purchase
I own the Jamstick and was excited about Jammy as the marketing would have you believe they have solved the problems of sensitivity and lag that the Jamstik suffers from. Alas, Jammy seems to be worse. If you download the Jammy app, and watch the detailed videos, the young man even explains how to try to overcome the shortcomings of Jammy, in that certain strings aren't sensitive enough and slides aren't picked up, and I tried all these things, but it still doesn't work. These types of electronic guitars a great idea and I hope that someone cracks the code someday, but I just don't think the technology is ready yet. Save your money. There are a bunch of five star reviews of this product, and honestly they must be promoters who were paid to buy the product and leave good reviews. They should instead put their marketing budget into R&D and create a better product.

teejay

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on July 24, 2019, 01:22:11 PM
Guitar of the future?  I really wish folks would refrain from insulting the guitar by calling this midi controller a musical instrument.

Segovia said pretty much the same about the electric guitar..... Abomination he called it.
Custom KGB headless, internal GK2a and sustainiac stealth plus. GR55 straight into PA.   Guitar out (COSM) feeding digitech VL4 vocal harmoniser.

teejay

https://playjammy.com/jammy-e/

Hoping this is going to be an affordable synthaxe  ;D
I've bitten the bullet and pre ordered one.
Anybody else?
Custom KGB headless, internal GK2a and sustainiac stealth plus. GR55 straight into PA.   Guitar out (COSM) feeding digitech VL4 vocal harmoniser.

admin

admin

Quote from: teejay on February 11, 2021, 12:23:23 PM
https://playjammy.com/jammy-e/

Hoping this is going to be an affordable synthaxe  ;D
I've bitten the bullet and pre ordered one.
Anybody else?
post a review

mooncaine

This'll be good for that one Flight Of The Conchords song in your set.

Snow Black

I've had the Jammy G since it first came out early last year. There were some limitations to start off with but after several firmware updates it's now much easier to set up to your particular playing style. I don't think of it as a guitar, and don't tend to play it like one either (I have real guitars for that!) - think of it as an affordable SynthAxe/Stepp digital guitar/MIDI controller. It can be very expressive with the right combination of softsynths and playing technique. I have been more than happy with how responsive the Jammy Guitar team are to any issues and software improvement suggestions. So much so that I have a Jammy E on order despite already having the Jammy G (both paid for with my own money so not being sponsored to say nice things).

There is a very interesting video they did with Stephen Randall, the inventor of the Stepp DG1 ...

I have also done some videos on using the Jammy - here's one showing how to make it sound like an orchestra with an iPad Pro ...

I have also released an album of music played entirely with a Jammy Guitar mainly using iPad apps.
https://music.apple.com/gb/album/reflection/1534893209

(Also available on other streaming platforms ... sorry that's a shameless plug!)

As someone who also owns several Boss/Roland guitar synths, and too many guitars, I think it's a worthy instrument to try out, especially if you're not a proficient keyboard player but know your way around a fretboard. Sure you'll need to adjust your technique, just as a piano player would playing a church organ!
Moog Guitar Paul Vo Collectors Edition, Fernandes with sustainer & GK3, Fender Strat with sustainer & GK3, Brian Moore i9-13, Variax transplant & Firehawk FX, Fretless guitar with ATG luthier kit, SY-1000, GP-10, SY-300, VG-99, FC-300, GR-55, VG-8ex, US-20, GX-2, Roland Street Cube EX, Tech 21 PE

BMapson

Quote from: mooncaine on February 11, 2021, 08:02:08 PM
This'll be good for that one Flight Of The Conchords song in your set.

"No one cares, no one sympathizes
You just stay home and play synthesizers."  ;D

Brak(E)man

I've tried to find an expected latency turnaround
( I know I depends on what's being used apart from the controller)
But haven't found any numbers.
I'd like to compare it to MidiGuitar, GP-10 and FTP.

I like the idea of a poor mans synthaxe.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Snow Black

Jammy G has a quoted latency of 10-12ms. Jammy E has improved sensors and quotes 8-10ms latency. I'm not a shredder but I don't have an issue with latency on either device (I'm currently beta testing the Jammy E).
Moog Guitar Paul Vo Collectors Edition, Fernandes with sustainer & GK3, Fender Strat with sustainer & GK3, Brian Moore i9-13, Variax transplant & Firehawk FX, Fretless guitar with ATG luthier kit, SY-1000, GP-10, SY-300, VG-99, FC-300, GR-55, VG-8ex, US-20, GX-2, Roland Street Cube EX, Tech 21 PE

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Snow Black on April 24, 2021, 09:48:57 AM
Jammy G has a quoted latency of 10-12ms. Jammy E has improved sensors and quotes 8-10ms latency. I'm not a shredder but I don't have an issue with latency on either device (I'm currently beta testing the Jammy E).

Thanx
Is the latency consistent over all the strings and frets ?
And number of strings played at the same time.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch