FTP - Noise in High Gain Situations

Started by jodama, May 11, 2017, 06:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jodama

I've been having some noise issues and I haven't seen any other similar complaints on the Internet, but I can't be the only one (hopefully).

There is really loud hum along with some clicking 'robot' type noises emitted by the FTP whenever I have any sort of high gain going on. It's there in the background under normal circumstances as well, but much more quiet. When I say 'high gain', I'm talking really mild stuff BTW...I'm not a wailer and I rarely overdrive anything.

I found that when I touch the FTP with my palm (cupping it on back), the noise is basically completely eliminated. This led me to a hacky fix...I taped a piece of wire along the edge between the USB port and the red LED/button. I guess this is a fine fix...it works, it's unobtrusive and difficult to see if I use electrical tape), but I don't really think this should be necessary.

Am I the only one experiencing this? Is there a better fix? What gives?

edit:
I should say I read another post in this forum saying the FTP doesn't make any noise, and any problems are in other aspects of your setup. I don't think that matches my experience as outlined above, but I'm very open to being wrong. I hope I am, actually.

admin

Post your signal flow and gear used

post an audio / video example of the noise you experience

And pics of your "fix"

jodama

This recording is kind of crappy (and only on the left channel, so be prepared), but it gives you an idea about what I'm hearing. The setup here was my guitar going through a Spicetone 6appeal mono channel overdrive with all other channels turned off, straight into an audio interface and Audio Evolution mobile on an Pixel C.

In this recording: I started with the FTP off, then turned it on (sounds like a dial up modem for a second). After turning it on, you can hear the hum. Then I put my hand on the FTP and take it off a couple times and you can hear the hum stop each time. The last quiet bit is after turning off the FTP.

If I tape the wires on as in the pictures, that hum is not present.

I wanted to also mention (since it seems someone affiliated w/ Fishman is reading) that I friggin love this thing. I think the technology is bordering on miraculous with how fast and accurate it is. I have been wanting something like this for 20 years and I actually probably wouldn't have even dipped my toe in the 13-pin waters if I knew about the FTP beforehand (though I'm glad I did...didn't understand the power of modeling before).

jodama

Pictures

Elantric

QuoteThe setup here was my guitar going through a Spicetone 6appeal mono channel overdrive with all other channels turned off, straight into an audio interface and Audio Evolution mobile on an Pixel C.

In this recording: I started with the FTP off, then turned it on (sounds like a dial up modem for a second). After turning it on, you can hear the hum. Then I put my hand on the FTP and take it off a couple times and you can hear the hum stop each time. The last quiet bit is after turning off the FTP.

If I tape the wires on as in the pictures, that hum is not present.

What type Guitar?
What type GK 13 pin PU is feeding the Spicetone ?

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20861.msg150129#msg150129
QuoteI recently grabbed a Brian Moore i2.13

So I can assume this is your Brian Moore with RMC Piezo 13 pin system, which you have mounted the Fishman Tripleplay ?
QuoteI found that when I touch the FTP with my palm (cupping it on back), the noise is basically completely eliminated. This led me to a hacky fix...I taped a piece of wire along the edge between the USB port and the red LED/button. I guess this is a fine fix...it works, it's unobtrusive and difficult to see if I use electrical tape), but I don't really think this should be necessary.

Appears you are experiencing lower noise after your mod.
( a bit unorthodox, but if it solves your noise - thanks for posting.

FWIW - by connecting the Fishman Tripleplay PU/Controller Ground ( shell of USB connector, or a screw on bottom of the FTP Controller ) to Bridge String Ground or Ground on the RMC electronics typically is a good strategy to tame noise.

jodama

Actually I'm using a Kiesel/Carvin SH575 with the Graphtech Ghost system.

I wasn't very clear about this, but those wires in the picture aren't connected to anything...they're just sitting there taped to the side. I guess they're changing the inductance of some part of the circuitry or something along those lines?

I also failed to mention that the noise in the audio sample changes if I hold the FTP and move it around in the air above the guitar. It seems to be loudest behind the bridge (which sucks because that's where it's mounted).

Elantric

QuoteI wasn't very clear about this, but those wires in the picture aren't connected to anything...they're just sitting there taped to the side. I guess they're changing the inductance of some part of the circuitry or something along those lines?

Of course the Fishman Controller must be in a plastic case - because there is an internal 2.4GHz Transmission antenna for the wireless MIDI connection to the Fishman USB dongle
But the wire you applied to the outside of the controller case to lower the noise is providing EMI/EMF shielding , much like what you experience when you hold the Controller in your hand - due to fact human body is mostly water = an electrical conductor  = shielding. 

jodama

Quote from: Elantric on May 11, 2017, 12:08:13 PM
the wire you applied to the outside of the controller case to lower the noise is providing EMI/EMF shielding

That makes a lot more sense than what I said...