VG99+SD50 or GR55 or GP10+SD50?

Started by patincunito, May 04, 2017, 12:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patincunito

Hi everyone!

I have a beautiful VG99 and I love it. But I love the PCM sounds of GR55 too.
I read in this fabulous site about the Roland SD50 Mobile Studio Canvas has the same sounds as GR55.
So, which is the best alternative?
Buy a GR55 (bad tracking as I read)?
Buy a SD50 and connect it with the VG99 (so so tracking)?
Buy a SD59 and buy a GP10 (best traking as I read)?

Can someone help me, please?

Best regards from Argentina (and sorry for my english)!

Pato Loco.
"Lo mejor que hizo la Vieja, es el Pibe que maneja"

Brak(E)man

VG 99 tracks fine USB to computer not so good regular midi
Gr55 tracks IMHO really bad , depending on way of playing , what you play
and gk set up
Gp10 USB to computer really good but to play other than soft synths you'd
Need Primovas midx  to go regular midi
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

patincunito

It's true, I forgot GP10 has no MIDI I/O!

So:

1) Buy a GR55 (bad tracking as I read)?
2) Buy a SD50 and connect it with the VG99 (so so tracking)?
3) Buy a SD50 + buy a Primova MIDIX20 USB to MIDI and connect it with the VG99 (so so tracking)?
4) Buy a SD50 + buy a Primova MIDIX20 USB to MIDI + buy a GP10 (best traking as I read)?

Which is the best option?
I think the most economic is 2) but... it the the best option?

Help me, please!

Best regards!

Pato Loco.

admin

Quote3) Buy a SD50 + buy a Primova MIDIX20 USB to MIDI and connect it with the VG99 (so so tracking)

Zero benefit there

I think the most economic is 2) but... it the the best option?

Help me, please!

Best regards!

Fishman Tripleplay has the fastest Guitar to MIDI (FOR typical guitar playing techniques under $3K) - but again - no 5 pin MIDI out, and half baked FC-1 USB to 5 pin adapter that still awaits firmware ( i.e. non functional 5 pin MIDI input on FC-1, should you want to use more than three foot switches, for a typical external 8 button MIDI floor controller)  to be fully functional

If you simply want the fastest Guitar to MIDi  - but can live with no String bending  - the You Rock Guitar Gen 2 with Radius Neck remains faster than Tripleplay 

patincunito

Quote from: admsustainiac on May 04, 2017, 02:12:13 PM

Fishman Tripleplay has the fastest Guitar to MIDI - but again - no 5 pin MIDI out, and half baked FC-1 USB to 5 pin adapter that still awaits firmware ( i.e. non functional 5 pin MIDI input on FC-1, should you want to use more than three foot switches, for a typical external 8 button MIDI floor controller)  to be fully functional

Thanks!

I forgot again: I have a FTP but need a computer to trigger the the sounds. Can I use it with SD50 via FC-1?

Maybe is easy: you can say "Man, if you love the PCM of the GR55... just buy it!!!" but maybe with my VG99, GI-20 or FTP, can have it in other way without buy anything...

DreamTheory

Love my GR 55!

The PCM tones are sort of like raw material. Some, like recorder flute, sound totally real as is. Others like PCM guitars, sound awful, but can be used in other ways, like tuning +1 octave and slowing attack to simulate overtones.

If you check out some HG Fortune freeware soft synths, and check out Uh He Zebralette (also free), you can hear a lot of layering and get ideas for your GR 55 concoctions. GR 55 sounds are rather basic, but the tools are there to make them amazing. Like try running two oscillators and detuning one 6% or so for instant thickness.

People who have done comparisons on this forum say the GP 10 has better modeling, and the VG-99 is unsurpassed in terms of possibilities (TWO complete processors). I like the GR 55 because it gives me some of everything.

The presets in GR 55 are generally hated. I think they are useful mainly as examples- look at the parameter settings and learn how to do stuff. Many presets appear to be there to show off what is possible. You are supposed to make your own "go to" patches.

I like having sounds in the physical unit, because I don't have to hook up to a laptop for synth tones. It makes it a bit more of a grab and go unit. You don't need a pedal board either, for that matter. GP-10 seems a bit more gig worthy though- smaller footprint, more assignable foot switching. A lot of people hate the menu diving of GR 55 but it does not bother me. There is Gumtown's editor software, which people swear by, but I don't really use that because parameters make sense to me.

good luck
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

patincunito

Mmmhhh, I think I have a winner...  ;D

Really, I thought a many things: buy a GP10 because is more new but has not PCM, buy a GR55 but the tracking is not good, buy a GR33, buy a GR20 (both of them because I read the tracking is better than GR55 but has not COSM and amp sims)...

My "guitar synth dream" (c'mon... really?  ;D) is VG99 + GR55 with a US20. But here in Argentina all are very expensive. That's the reason for my questions if there is a better option.

Does anyone else want to give their opinion?
It's very helpful and  and I really appreciate it!

Best regards from Argentina

Pato Loco.

DreamTheory

Expensive, yes, but think how many hours of use you will get. If, like me, you use it instead of pedals on a board, you save a ton. I also save by not having to buy rhythm instruments, flutes, etc.

It depends on what you are doing. If playing live, synth tones are kinda odd. But in studio you can "get away" with more, and fix up any bad notes. PCM tones do NOT just work like stomp boxes, no matter which guitar system you use. They are glitchy, and require clean playing. Some of the experts here say the Fishman Triple play is best.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008