ATG - Thinking of getting one. What should put me off?

Started by BobTheDog, April 24, 2017, 01:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobTheDog

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of picking one of these up.

From listening to anything I can find on the net the pitch stuff sounds better than the other current options, is this true?

How do the models compare to the Roland/line6 stuff?

Also are the software updates free?

Am I right in thinking you can only store a single 13 pin setup?

Sorry for all the questions!

Andy

admin

admin

Upgrades for the ATG-1 pedal steel firmware upgrade cost money
http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/
we do have an active ATG-1 group that saves money
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=16602.0

BobTheDog

DeRigueur

I've been thinking about the ATG floorboard, too.
Does anyone think there are too few guitar models available?
I looked at the list and it appears there is no tele, 335, Rickenbacker.
Does anyone find this restrictive?
Fender GC-1 -- Boss SY-1000 -- Alto TS112A

cags12

Quote from: DeRigueur on April 24, 2017, 02:34:29 PM
I've been thinking about the ATG floorboard, too.
Does anyone think there are too few guitar models available?
I looked at the list and it appears there is no tele, 335, Rickenbacker.
Does anyone find this restrictive?

There is indeed tele and also "Nashville single Coil". Detailed models below:

Fret 00: Modern Humbucker: Used a 24 fret/25.5" scale guitar with a set of Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Humbucker set (SH-­‐4 JB and SH-­‐2n) .
Fret 01: California Single Coil: Used a standard Strat (25.5" scale) with standard Strat Pickup locations.
Fret 02: Acoustic: We used three different steel string guitars, a dreadnought (Bridge), an OM (Middle), and a finger style guitar (Neck).
Fret 03: Nashville Single Coil: Used a standard Tele (25.5" scale) with standard Tele Pickup locations. 49
Fret 04: Mini HB -­‐ unchanged.
Fret 05: P-­‐90: Used a Les Paul Special with 22 fret/24.75" scale and the pickups at the following locations: Pickup distance from the bridge break over point to the center of the pickup: Bridge Pickup: 1.937"/Neck Pickup: 5.875".
Fret 06: SLO Custom HSH: This is a NEW model that replaces the Junior P-­‐90. This is based on a MusicMan SM-­‐Y2D with 22 fret/25.5" scale. Pickups in the following locations (bridge break over point to center of pickup): Bridge 1.625", Middle 2.812" (right next to the bridge p/u), 5.812".
Fret 07: Vintage Humbucker: Les Paul 22 fret/24.75" scale with pickups in standard LP positions.
Fret 08: Lipstick: Originally a three-­‐position (two pickup), this model is now a five position (three pickup) configuration for more sound possibilities. Strat (25.5" scale) with standard Strat pickup locations and Lipstick pickups.
Fret 09: Bass Originally a single sound. This is now a three position selection with the following models: Jazz Bass bridge (Bridge position), Jazz Bass both pickups (Middle position), and Precision (P-­‐Bass) Bass (Neck position).
Fret 10: Japan Custom HSH: This is an Ibanez JEM EVO replica used with 25.5" scale and pickups in standard Ibanez locations.

DeRigueur

Fender GC-1 -- Boss SY-1000 -- Alto TS112A

BobTheDog

Managed to snag one from the USA, it's spent 1 day getting from the USA to the UK and then 7 days with the post office while they arsed around enough to justify charging me 12 quid for the privilege, still it is arriving tomorrow. Looking forward to it...

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: BobTheDog on August 17, 2017, 09:40:30 AM
Managed to snag one from the USA, it's spent 1 day getting from the USA to the UK and then 7 days with the post office while they arsed around enough to justify charging me 12 quid for the privilege, still it is arriving tomorrow. Looking forward to it...

Check the firmware version as soon as possible and upgrade to v3.32 if necessary before October.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

BobTheDog

Rhcole

And buy the pedal steel pack if you want it.

BobTheDog

Hi Guys,

So It has arrived, I think it is updated on startup I get:

V2.7
2: core pack V3.32

All the presets are empty, is this normal?

Also did yours come in a normal glossy type box or just a brown cardboard box?

I must admit I'm not sure mine is new, the pedal rubber is pretty worn!

Cheers

Andy

Elantric

BobTheDog

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have already done that.

Should that fix the presets then or something else?

Cheers

Andy

cags12

Quote from: BobTheDog on August 18, 2017, 08:00:42 AM
Hi Guys,

So It has arrived, I think it is updated on startup I get:

V2.7
2: core pack V3.32

All the presets are empty, is this normal?

Andy

You have the latest OS version and Core Pack.

All presets came empty on my Luthier kit and it is up to you to create to your needs. Better and easier use the ATG Settings Manager for this task rather than creating them directly on the Pedal.

admin

If you have ATG Presets - share them as a zip file here:

VGuitar Forums > Antares ATG Guitar Modeler / Tuning Systems > ATG Preset Exchange
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=253.0

BobTheDog

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

The settings manager is a bit mad not letting you set the midi ports you are using, it dawdles its way scanning through about 30 ports before it gets to the one with the unit attached to!

Currently as well can only find two short midi leads so I have to have the unit sitting on my lap to use the editor, I have to find the box with all the midi leads in but for the life of me I can't!

The autotune stuff is pretty good though, suddenly chords further up the neck sound better. Pretty impressed with that actually, it does get in the way of subtle string bends though but for chords it works amazingly well.

Also the guitar models sound ok to me, need to spend a bit of time trying things out but my initial reaction to this box is positive.

Elantric

Quote from: BobTheDog on August 18, 2017, 09:19:36 AM
Hi Guys,

The settings manager is a bit mad not letting you set the midi ports you are using, it dawdles its way scanning through about 30 ports before it gets to the one with the unit attached to!

And the lack of fixing this important item really annoys me  -since it was reported as a  "bug" over 3 years ago

Their concept was the "software should be automatic for the user"  - which in reality reflects lack of experience in a professional DAW setup.

BobTheDog

The Korg Kronos editor does the same thing, total insanity especially as most users would connect it via usb and they can just look it up by name.

Unfortunately in software development this sort of stupidity is not that uncommon.

cags12

Quote from: BobTheDog on August 18, 2017, 09:19:36 AM

Quote from: Elantric on August 18, 2017, 09:23:38 AM
And the lack of fixing this important item really annoys me  -since it was reported as a  "bug" over 3 years ago

Their concept was the "software should be automatic for the user"  - which in reality reflects lack of experience in a professional DAW setup.

Guys, just so you know, there is an unreleased beta version of the Software manager that allows you to select the midi ports you are using for the ATG and also resize the Window. @Majiken shared it with me but can also be requested from Antares directly.

Quoting Henrik on the ATG Forum:
"Correct. It was never released, however there are Beta versions that you can get if you contact me via ATG support email. http://support.antarestech.com/support/tickets/new
Having said this, please keep in mind that these are Beta versions and will have some bugs/issues that you may encounter. "

Not sure if it should be publicly shared or individually.

Elantric

Quote from: cags12 on August 18, 2017, 10:39:55 AM
Guys, just so you know, there is an unreleased beta version of the Software manager that allows you to select the midi ports you are using for the ATG and also resize the Window. @Majiken shared it with me but can also be requested from Antares directly.

Quoting Henrik on the ATG Forum:
"Correct. It was never released, however there are Beta versions that you can get if you contact me via ATG support email. http://support.antarestech.com/support/tickets/new
Having said this, please keep in mind that these are Beta versions and will have some bugs/issues that you may encounter. "

Not sure if it should be publicly shared or individually.

first I ever heard of it!

(I must have upset someone at Antares ;)

cags12

I will ask Henrik if it is Ok to simply publish it here with the right disclaimers. For sure it can be shared over PM.

Guys, would it be worth asking Antares (if possible) to release the Sysex reference for the ATG Software Manager? I am specially interested on possibly creating presets outside the Software Manager. There should not be any trade secret on that. Even the source code of the Software Manager should not hide sensitive information.

drbill

I asked, and was told that it was "very complex" and they weren't willing to release it. However, that was before they EOL'd the product.
GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

Elantric

Quote from: cags12 on August 18, 2017, 11:59:49 AM
I will ask Henrik if it is Ok to simply publish it here with the right disclaimers. For sure it can be shared over PM.

Guys, would it be worth asking Antares (if possible) to release the Sysex reference for the ATG Software Manager? I am specially interested on possibly creating presets outside the Software Manager. There should not be any trade secret on that. Even the source code of the Software Manager should not hide sensitive information.

Read here
http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/performance-control/midicontrol.php

http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/mediafiles/online_help_records/49_ATG_Guitar_Feature_Packs_v3.10.pdf

Actually this should be straight forward  - the MIDI Designer ATG template contains most  MIDI controls for ATG

http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/downloads/Auto-Tune%20for%20Guitar%20v3.10.mididesigner

http://mididesigner.com/antares-auto-tune-layout-refresh-at-200/

http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/support/documentation-detail.php?help=Using_the_MIDI_Designer_Pro_Layout_for_Auto-Tune_for_Guitar_45