GR-55 -Has anyone had trouble with certain strings on the GK-3?

Started by randulo, April 11, 2017, 02:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

randulo

Hi folks,

For a while now, occasionally, a string signal will stop on the 3rd or 4th string. I keep the contacts clean. If I "stress" the connection on the pickup cable socket (not the hex pickup part, the switch part), it goes back to normal, but I can feel it isn't a contact on the plug. I reversed the ends and the same thing happens. It appears to be intermittent bad connections in the pickup electronics. I'm going to put the GK2 and see if I can live with it until the gig end of April. Meanwhile, I suppose I'll have to order a new GK3 before I try to fix the older one. If the warranty is one year, I'm probably out of luck.

Suggestions or ideas?
Hopeful GR-55 convert from GR-1
Twitter @randulo
Medium @randulo

admin

sound like a cold solder joint inside the GK-3

A Tech could fix  - or someone  with electronics experience

I fix those in 15 minutes with a screwdriver and soldering Iron and reflow the jack solder pads internal to the GK-3 circuit board 

randulo

Thanks for that reply.
I have spoken solder since the 1960's! However, a lot of printed circuits can't be repaired. If you think it's worth opening up to see, I will. Right now, I started using a different cable just in case I misunderstood the problem. It really doesn't feel like the cable, but we'll see. I wouldn't want to ruin the thing, so I'll wait to see if the other cable solves it.
Twitter @randulo
Medium @randulo

admin

Often the GK cable applies a bit of  stress to the internal GK-3 PCB with a bit of torque ( slight propeller twist action) any bad solder joints will become intermittent with resulting signal drop outs

Its worth exploring, touch up internal solder connections on PCB

randulo

Thanks again! It sounds like the part can be taken apart without risk (using sane caution). I have the tools, just wanted to be extra careful.
OT, but I once took apart a radio weather clock (Oregon Scientific) that didn't get the signal. I messed around with it and fixed it, I found an antenna wire had broken. Then I broke the clock somehow by putting it back together! That pissed me off!
Twitter @randulo
Medium @randulo