Katana Mk1 - Gumtown's Katana FxFloorBoard Editor

Started by Elantric, April 07, 2017, 02:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumtown

This firmware 2.01 is becoming very frustrating to build the editor on.
some issues so far have been....
1.) can't rely on midi program change to recall the correct channel as all P.C. are now assignable in system, so had to resort to sysx program calls.

2.) Red/Yellow/Green effect selection options will not save the 'sneaky' effects, these memory slots have been hard coded out.

3.) effect chain order is now fixed solid, and not movable except for the 3 chain options and the S/R loop and EQ pre/post options.

4.) some editor controls are reliant on amp status feedback, so the fundamental editor midi subsystem may need to be upgraded/modified.

5.) New Assign controls added in the 60 00 13 00 (EXP Pedal), 60 00 14 00 (GAFC EXP1 PEDAL), 60 00 15 00 (GAFC EXP2 PEDAL) memory ranges don't seem to do anything, despite occupying a large memory space.
And are saved in patch data, but not saved in any Tone Studio patch files. ?

I hope to see some improvements in the next firmware update.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

rolandvg99

According to Boss they are looking at the SYSEX issues, but they will most likely be skipped in the first update.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

zeropoint01

Hi, first-time post here.  I just bought a Katana 100 combo and updated to 2.01. BTS works fine but I cannot get the FX Floorboard editor to connect properly.
(I'm not running them at the same time). The editor does not recognize any midi connections, despite everything being set correctly in preferences and system settings.and reports an error message. However. at some level it is connected, the green light goes on there is some functionality.  I am not sure if I am doing anything wrong or maybe this is an issue with the new firmware. I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

admin

Quote from: zeropoint01 on October 31, 2017, 11:06:33 AM
Hi, first-time post here.  I just bought a Katana 100 combo and updated to 2.01. BTS works fine but I cannot get the FX Floorboard editor to connect properly.
(I'm not running them at the same time). The editor does not recognize any midi connections, despite everything being set correctly in preferences and system settings.and reports an error message. However. at some level it is connected, the green light goes on there is some functionality.  I am not sure if I am doing anything wrong or maybe this is an issue with the new firmware. I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

AFAIK - We are in between releases  for Boss Katana  - new Boss Katana firmware 2.02 is due Nov 7, 2017
https://www.boss.info/us/products/katana-100_212/downloads/
Gumtown's Katana FxFloorBoard Editor remains a work in progress, and will need an update after release of Katana firmware 2.02

I expect full functionality by December 2017 

treewiz

Quote from: admsustainiac on October 31, 2017, 11:14:39 AM
AFAIK - We are in between releases  for Boss Katana  - new Boss Katana firmware 2.02 is due Oct 7, 2017

Gumtown's Katana FxFloorBoard Editor remains a work in progress, and will need an update after release of Katana firmware 2.02

I expect full functionality by December 2017 
I think you might mean Nov. 7,2017?

rolandvg99

Quote from: treewiz on October 31, 2017, 11:43:33 AM
I think you might mean Nov. 7,2017?

Nope. First 2.02 then 2.03 and then possibly a stable FxFloorboard for V2. :)

treewiz

AFAIK - We are in between releases  for Boss Katana  - new Boss Katana firmware 2.02 is due Nov 7, 2017
It looks like the quote has been corrected to me.

rolandvg99

Quote from: treewiz on October 31, 2017, 12:27:56 PM
It looks like the quote has been corrected to me.

2.02 will not fix SYSEX according to Boss/Roland.

gumtown

The editor should still connect (only if using the recently updated windows version),
check the editor "Preferences > Midi/USB" settings for midi in/out devices, the Katana should be listed as an option if the driver is installed correctly.

The editor at this date only 'works' with the original firmware 1, I have a firmware 2 version nearly ready, but still has some unresolved issues awaiting the next firmware 2.02 (or above) fixes.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumtown

Just updated the mac osx version to 20171010, which brings it into line with the previously updated windows version for firmware 1.

The firmware 2 version is still proving difficult, all done except it won't save data into the Katana if the fx chain is out of spec from the Firmware 1 order (won't save if delay 2 or EQ are in the chain and not in BTS fixed order). But strangely the FW1 version saves in any chain position, and the FW2 chain order will save in any order if saved via the Katana channel buttons.

rolandvg99

Quote from: gumtown on November 05, 2017, 03:48:27 AM
Just updated the mac osx version to 20171010, which brings it into line with the previously updated windows version for firmware 1.

The firmware 2 version is still proving difficult, all done except it won't save data into the Katana if the fx chain is out of spec from the Firmware 1 order (won't save if delay 2 or EQ are in the chain and not in BTS fixed order). But strangely the FW1 version saves in any chain position, and the FW2 chain order will save in any order if saved via the Katana channel buttons.

Great work, Colin. I sure can live with needing to save using the Katana hardware preset buttons as I've done this all the time.  8)

jwoertz

Does Gumtown's editor allow for more effects to be used at once on the Katana amps, vs the official BOSS editor? I need an always-on reverb and would like to assign something else to the GA-FC Reverb switch if possible too!

admin

Gumtown wrote>

CodeSmart

Quote from: gumtown on November 05, 2017, 03:48:27 AM

My penny...,Have you made sure all 12 slots (or whatever) are correct?
Even the ones outside the movable positions? Even the trailing ones must be correct. Read back from BTS setup and compare...
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

CodeSmart

Heya Gummie,
How's things going? Given up already, have you?
I now and here, in public bet $50 NZD you can't fix the floorboard for full V2 ;D

If/when you ever do, or already did, pm me your PayPal please...your work is awesome and I'll love to loose this bet.

gumtown

Hey Codesmart
Not given up (yet),  ;D
That irritating day job thing has landed a hefty project on my shoulders, and the last 3 months I have been trying to do the job role of 4 people myself while organising work teams at 7 other work sites.
My employer can't provide enough staff, and then I get told off for working 83 hours in one week.
I just can't win.  :-\
That project should be finished in the next 3 weeks,
but also organising an annual music festival event, this weekend I am checking PA. equipment, lights, and writing new lighting DMX sequences and video projection scenes for the event (as well trying to get practice to play in the event).
Managed to squeeze a couple of days off work for next week to get the stage rigging and scaffolding sorted for next weekend.

I still manage to find some time during coffee breaks or late at night to read posts here.

Once my life drama is out of the way, back to Katana FxFloorBoard.
It sort of has run to a bit of a dead end path, I will have to back-track to Version 1 and find out why it won't save the chain data to the Katana (while V1 KAT_FxFB does on a V2 Katana).

Things are a bit crazy at the moment

Majiken

Please watch out for #1, take care not to overload!
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

alancarl

Quote from: gumtown on October 31, 2017, 03:11:41 PM
The editor should still connect (only if using the recently updated windows version),
check the editor "Preferences > Midi/USB" settings for midi in/out devices, the Katana should be listed as an option if the driver is installed correctly.

The editor at this date only 'works' with the original firmware 1...

Hi Gummie as Robert kindly refers to you as:-)
     I am guessing that you and a few other major techno geeks are aware of this so my info sharing here is for anybody interested in my current application of your very generous contribution-The Katana FXFloorboard Editor.

For fun on my OSX 10.10.5 MBP laptop I am running the BTS AND your FXFloorBoard Editor simultaneously with a V 2.02 Katana Head.
Of course not all of the V2 features are in the FloorBoard editor but some very useful V1 features from the FloorBoard continue to be very useful indeed!!
For example I can still turn on all four of the processing blocks at the Booster/Mod and Delay/Fx position(that either or thing that the BTS/Katana panel force is annoying to me as well)

There are other gems too like the EZ Tone X/Y gig in the FB editor that still does a lot of interesting things.
I just want to say your work is still quite useful to me in my pursuit of the ultimate guitar tone and I wish for you to have all of the strength and inspiration you need to do all that life is laying out in from of you!
Peace Gummie!
Al

DanishRock

Take your time Gumtown. Your software is supercool
eventhough the tonestudio is not that bad either(just has its limits, but VERY easy to use)

Still in love with my Katana... what a piece of kit for that low low price

Have a super X-mas all.... and keep rockin !

gumtown

Back on track again with Katana FxFloorBoard.
Sorted some major issues that were holding it back.
After sifting 10,000's of lines of code, just to change 1 number fixed it all.  :-X

Just that cursed effect chain to deal with.
A Katana saved channel will only accept predefined chain arrangements, although using the editor in real-time mode, the Katana is happy with any chain order (until it is saved in the Katana).
So some chain position buttons, like in BTS for the 3 chain types and the two effect pre/post settings, as well as the freely movable chain stompboxes should cover it.
I also have Windows 10 now, finally  ::)

Meesha

WooHoo! Waiting for new/goodold Floorboard coming! )

CodeSmart

Quote from: CodeSmart on November 24, 2017, 02:23:14 PM
I now and here, in public bet $50 NZD you can't fix the floorboard for full V2 ;D
Kia ora,
Now I'm almost sh*tting in my pants...looks like I will loose my bet  :o
Great news! ;D

vtgearhead

Quote from: gumtown on December 17, 2017, 02:34:18 AM
A Katana saved channel will only accept predefined chain arrangements, although using the editor in real-time mode, the Katana is happy with any chain order (until it is saved in the Katana).

I thought Mr. vg99 reported that the 2.02 firmware would save custom chains (?)

sixeight

QuoteAfter sifting 10,000's of lines of code, just to change 1 number fixed it all.

The joys of programming. Been there, done that. The number always has to be 42!

rolandvg99

Quote from: snhirsch on December 17, 2017, 06:55:32 AM
I thought Mr. vg99 reported that the 2.02 firmware would save custom chains (?)

It does as far as I know. No issues when using the MIDX-20 to push my preferred chain, save to preset and restart the amp.