Beat a dead horse topic - Katana = Repackaged GT?

Started by zoot_rollo, March 23, 2017, 07:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoot_rollo

LOOONG time Boss/Roland user.

ex GT owner - all of them.

just to be clear, i'm not trolling here.

before i jump on a Katana 100 combo, i just want to be sure i am not buying a GT-1 with a cabinet.

thoughts?

thanks,
fred

vtgearhead

In terms of the DSP based effects (reverb, delay, booster, efx/mod), I'm reasonably sure that's exactly what you're getting (based on the similarity in the MIDI API, at any rate).  However, the amplification chain is utterly and completely different.

admin

Most armchair quarterbacks might think Katana is essentially  same as a GT-1 feeding a 1981 Yamaha G100-112 Combo amp FX Return   

In truth, the Katana's special Katana Power Amp design plays a huge impact on the Dynamic range and Touch response and feel.

The GT-1 also exhibits good touch response and feel, but the Katana "whole package" approach (A/D>DSP.D/A>Katana PowerAmp>katana Speaker accomplishes this much better.   

aliensporebomb

Like anything else: the only way you're going to know if it's going to work for you is to try it out in a store, preferably with one of your own guitars or a guitar similar to one you own. 

Only downside: I've only ever seen one Katana in a store and it was all shrinkwrapped and ready to go to its owner who had just bought it!

But admsustainiac is quite right - many "underwhelming" amps/preamps can be brought to life with the correct power amplifier. 

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

admin

Quote"underwhelming" amps/preamps

In the "Ears" of the beholder - I rather like the Boss GT-1, but find the Katana more refined.

zoot_rollo

how does the Katana stack up against in-the-box sims like S-Gear?

Elantric

Quotehow does the Katana stack up against in-the-box sims like S-Gear?

Tremendously better

You don't have to battle latency , audio drivers, computers , and ever changing operating system versions

zoot_rollo

yeah, those are my main reasons for developing my chain outside the box.

the CPU hit was killin' me.

i'd rather save that for my Orchestral Strings and PianoTeq.

zoot_rollo

Good lord, is there a secret to this thing?

I'm sorry, but it's pretty rough.

And i have loads of time programming the GTs.

Clean is just OK.

Beyond that, even with pedals, it just isn't doing it.

admin

If you are talking about the Katana - everyone has unique pesrpective, needs, desires, and thoughts on what constitutes "great tone" 

If it does not suit YOUR needs - Then trade it  / return it

For many here - it was set ALL knobs at "12:00 o'clock noon" ( except the FX) - plug in the guitar and play. - at least thats my experience with  100 watt 

The Katana 50 watt I played at Guitar Center recently I was underwhelmed - never considered it as an option because it was far too basic and lower build quality, cheaper components  all around

By contrast my Katana 100 112 combo was instant joy

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/boss-katana-amplifiers.1744135/page-312
Quotelike i've said, i've already done the GT shuffle, don't want to do that again - plus my local GC is sick of me by now i'm sure.

But since apparently you really dislike the "Roland  / Boss sound" ( having bought and sold several Boss GT processors)  - , maybe you need to look elsewhere. or play the katana louder

or use the 0.5Watt Power Mode and crank the Master Volume on far right to a higher level.