VG-99 Where have you been all my life????

Started by jcaman, March 15, 2017, 03:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcaman

just picked up a used one and have to say I'm VERY impressed.
been doing guitar synth stuff for years now by way of a GR30>JP8080>MS2000.
Bought this on a whim, someone on another forum(TGP) was selling it for $450 with nice sturdy road case and GK-3 pickup.
been reading up on it here for a bit now, incredible treasure trove of info.
the tracking is unsurpassed as far as I'm concerned(I've also owned a GR300) none of the glitchyness of the GR30, although i learned to love it and used it creatively.
no matter how fast I play it keeps up.
the sounds are impressive. very happy with the VG-99.
I was concerned because I kept reading about people saying how "deep" it was and I have to say it's pretty intuitive to me.
have only read the manual for general system and GK settings and to perform a factory reset.
maybe it's all those years of programming the aforementioned synths, talk about deep.
I will eventually read the entire manual.

now if someone can point me in the direction of threads that discuss the crazier, unconventional sounds and ways of using it, not into guitar modeling myself, I'd appreciate it.
  :)

Brent Flash

Here is a thread about what you can do with a VG-99 live. Not sure what you are planning on using it for. There are some audio examples and all the patches can be found in the VG-99 patch section. https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20190.msg145574#msg145574

alexmcginness

The 99 is as deep as you want to get with it. Its the Synclavier of the guitar world. I use it live and have modeled my American standard Strat in to it and now leave that guitar at home and use a Traveller Escape to trigger it.
   Welcome to VG-99 land. Have fun.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

chrish

I purchased a used one also not long ago and felt the same way as you do.

Go straight to aliensporebomb's patches at the patch exchange. Also download smash's 'decker blues' and 'nylon escapism' patch.

alexmcginness

OK this is one of my favorite examples of the VG-99 in action live. This isnt me playing this but its a three piece band, bass, drums and a guitar using the VG-99 to do all the guitars and synths live off the floor.

VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

aliensporebomb

It's like both a Synclavier of the guitar as well as a modular synth for guitar as well.  So much you could explore with it too.  I did a programming session and created 26 new patches the other day without even trying too much.  More later on those!

When I did the recordings for the film soundtrack this year, all of the acoustic guitars, basses, and faux synth stuff even an african thumb piano were processed through the VG-99 as well: https://aliensporebomb.bandcamp.com/album/word-of-honour-original-soundtrack 

You can do so much with it!  The used prices are nearing GP-10 prices.  Now the GP-10 has some cool stuff such as updated models for "regular guitar stuff" but some of the off the map stuff you can do on the 99 you can't do on anything else to my knowledge without a bunch of external processing. 

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

jcaman

thanks a bunch for the replies and insight.
I friggin' love this thing.
was using it with headphones last night(live in an apartment) and the "shredder" patch was a blast to play.
I'm more a fusion kinda guy but man I was shredding for sure.
and it's so inspiring, need to stop being so lazy and hook up my recording gear.a lot of ideas coming out.
think i need to buy all the Roland guitar synths, hehe..

jcaman

OK, I take back what i said in my OP about "not into guitar modeling". The VG99 changed my mind.
the sounds on this thing are soooo much fun to play. keeping me up late.
I never knew shredding could be so much fun, and that jazz combo sound nails a certain era McLaughlin sound. the one most people write off.
but I love cheesy chorus jazz lines :)
received the FC-300 yesterday. now i need a couple of days by myself to just sit and read the manuals and get in there good.
don't mind me, just thinking out loud.

vanceg

And, when one puts aside the idea of using the modeling technology to try to produce accurate imitations of classic equipment, and simply use the it to create interesting tones, the world opens up.

I'm glad you are really getting into the VG-99. As you can tell, some of us here share that enthusiasm.  Enjoy diving deep!

vanceg

And, when one puts aside the idea of using the modeling technology to try to produce accurate imitations of classic equipment, and simply use the it to create interesting tones, the world opens up.

I'm glad you are really getting into the VG-99. As you can tell, some of us here share that enthusiasm.  Enjoy diving deep!