I need a small favor.

Started by Metaphasic, March 11, 2017, 05:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metaphasic

I am still trying to understand why the GR-300 COSM models Hexafuzz seems to sound drastically different than the way I remember my old GR-300/G-505 combo sounded. It occurred to me last night that my old system, which I bought second hand, might have been modded. To figure this out, I would like to ask that one or two of you create a small, 30 second or so, MP3 that I can listen to, that showcases your own GR-55 set to the following. I would really appreciate it.

PCM 1: off
PCM 2: off
Normal: off
COSM: model 18, mode: DIST (hexafuzz only) CUTOFF: 100 RES: 0 No ENV or MOD, no amp or effects.

Basically, a pure, straight sound. I know most of you are horribly busy, but this could make a LOT of difference for me. Thank you for your time.

Pouxe

I would like to do it but I do not know how to set the gr55 as you ask!

imerkat

I think this is what you wanted;

played all open some chords and scale key of C and some shenanigans in the middle.

Metaphasic

YES! That was perfect. This is how my GR-55 sounds as well with those settings. The odd thing is, it is not how my old G-505 sounded (the hexafuzz circuit was in the guitars back then). I also noticed that in some of Wayne Jones' demo videos, his own G-series controller doesn't sound like this; it sounds more like mine used to. Our older models seem to have a lot of sustain and actually sounded distorted.

So the question is, why the discrepancy? Were our G-series controllers modded? Which sound is correct?

And thanks for the time you took putting that together!

For comparison:

sixeight

QuoteSo the question is, why the discrepancy?

One difference is probably the input level. You may have to boost the gain somewhere or maybe crank up the levels in your GK settings...

admin

So the question is, why the discrepancy?

Completely different Circuit design

the old 1981 G-505 included a built in analog hex Fuzz circuit - that could be engaged on the Guitar prior to feeding the GR-300

http://www.joness.com/gr300/GR-300.htm

By contrast - The Roland/Boss designs for the "GR -xx" since 1995 now employ multichannel A/D and DSP to recreate those old GR-300 sounds - but as you observe it often falls short of the musicality, dynamics and response of the old 1980 GR-300 + G-505
Today the closest you can get to recapture that old G-505 hex Fuzz tone is the new

Spicetone 6 Appeal   

http://www.spicetone.com/

Metaphasic

I'm familiar with Wayne's site, and with the history of the G series guitars. I just didn't expect the difference to be so great. I am also familiar with the 64appeal as well as the Roland GR-D, which also has the old hexafuzz onboard. I think, at least for now, I am going to stick with my GT-100. I will revisit this next year when I have more funds to invest into it.

Thanks to all who responded.