Some questions about FTP!

Started by Lorenzo L., March 27, 2017, 01:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorenzo L.

Hi!

I didn't know anything about FTP since 3 days ago. When I discovered it, I'm being very impressed! Now I've just some questions about it:
- For some reasons, I don't wanna use FTP with Laptop DAW. I've already read about the USBtoMIDI5pin conversion, but if I connect the FTP to an hardware that actually have a USB Type A INPUT, it works? For example, I've recently discovered this Arduino-based "sampler", called "Sampler Box" (http://www.samplerbox.org/ ). This device works also with a usb input, like the connection from a recent midi keyboard. It can works with FTP?
- In this way, or in the hardware mode, the FTP works in polyphonic or monophonic mode? Or there's some other limitations?

The aim is to use it in live, switching the guitar signal from the analogic one who arrive to amplifiers and the FTP one connected to the p.a. system, like a keyboard. The sampler box it's the smaller solution i've seen, and without USBtoMIDI conversion! But I wanna be sure that It can works, before to spend like 500 € for the entire system!

plethoraguy

You'll probably not have any trouble.   I use a similar device (Muse Receptor Pro)  the same way you are planning to and it works just fine.  It was pretty much plug in the usb receiver, use the 2 link buttons, and play away for me.   I HAVE used a desktop Mac though to update the firmware and tweak some of the TP parameters (string sensitivity, etc.), but it worked pretty well even before I started doing any of that. 

I hope it works as well for you.

admin

Here are other working MIDI Tone Modules with the "USB HOST PORT" which work directly with the Tripleplay USB Receiver  - no computer required.

MidiPlus Mini Engine / Miditech PianoBox Mini - General MIDI Synth Module
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17369.0

M-Audio Accent Tone Module
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17756.msg126511#msg126511

Lorenzo L.

Thank you guys! And what about Polyphonic or Monophonic mode? With this kind of device it's possibile to play polyphonic notes, right?

@plethoraguy: that clarify one things that I didn't understand: the parameters that we can modify by software remain stored in the USB dongle?

plethoraguy

Hey Lorenzo,    Since my use of the TP has mostly been just plug and play,  my knowledge of it's potential is very limited.   

In short though;    Yes, if your synth / patch plays polyphonically (ie more than one note at a time)   your guitar will play chords just like your keyboard would.   Most of my TP use is to control polyphonic patches.     I use a couple of monophonic patches as well for some songs, and i don't need to change anything on the TP to play these, I just load the patch on my synth and go.    Again, the synth responds exactly as it would as if the midi were coming from a keyboard, but this time my "sound" only plays a single note at a time, cutting off the previous note whenever a new note is triggered.

As by my limited understanding, TP definition of the words mono and poly is a little different than what we are used to.   in TP mono mode  each string  sends it's midi data out on an individual channel (1 through 6) , allowing you to have a completely different sound or even a different synth module triggered by ONLY that string.   Whether the sound is polyphonic or monophonic depends on the synth, not the TP.   TP poly mode just means that all the strings output the midi info to the same midi channel and,  again, whether the sound triggered is monophonic or polyphonic is up the synth.

TP Wizards- if I have mischaracterized the above in any way please chime in, and educate me.

Cheers!

Elantric

QuoteIn TP mono mode  each string  sends it's midi data out on an individual channel (1 through 6) , allowing you to have a completely different sound or even a different synth module triggered by ONLY that string.   Whether the sound is polyphonic or monophonic depends on the synth, not the TP.   TP poly mode just means that all the strings output the midi info to the same midi channel and,  again, whether the sound triggered is monophonic or polyphonic is up the synth.

Yes - the MIDI .org naming convention of Mono mode  vs Poly mode at first seems counter-intuitive.

best to get educated

MIDI Tutorials

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2977.0

https://www.midi.org/articles/about-midi-part-3-midi-messages
QuoteChannel Mode Messages

Channel Mode messages (MIDI controller numbers 121 through 127) affect the way a synthesizer responds to MIDI data. Controller number 121 is used to reset all controllers. Controller number 122 is used to enable or disable Local Control (In a MIDI synthesizer which has it's own keyboard, the functions of the keyboard controller and the synthesizer can be isolated by turning Local Control off). Controller numbers 124 through 127 are used to select between Omni Mode On or Off, and to select between the Mono Mode or Poly Mode of operation.

When Omni mode is On, the synthesizer will respond to incoming MIDI data on all channels. When Omni mode is Off, the synthesizer will only respond to MIDI messages on one Channel. When Poly mode is selected, incoming Note On messages are played polyphonically. This means that when multiple Note On messages are received, each note is assigned its own voice (subject to the number of voices available in the synthesizer). The result is that multiple notes are played at the same time. When Mono mode is selected, a single voice is assigned per MIDI Channel. This means that only one note can be played on a given Channel at a given time.

I'll insert a comment - most MIDI guitarists want to have their Synth support proper operation during independent string bending, or bending just 2 strings, while other strings ring that are not bent ( typical for country pedal steel riffs or most Jimmy page riffs)    - this mandates use of MIDI MONO mode ( each string transmits on a unique separate MIDI channel), so that Pitch bend information can be applied to the MIDI channel for that string.   

Most modern MIDI synthesizers will default to Omni On/Poly mode of operation. In this mode, the synthesizer will play note messages received on any MIDI Channel, and notes received on each Channel are played polyphonically. In the Omni Off/Poly mode of operation, the synthesizer will receive on a single Channel and play the notes received on this Channel polyphonically. This mode could be useful when several synthesizers are daisy-chained using MIDI THRU. In this case each synthesizer in the chain can be set to play one part (the MIDI data on one Channel), and ignore the information related to the other parts.

Note that a MIDI instrument has one MIDI Channel which is designated as its "Basic Channel". The Basic Channel assignment may be hard-wired, or it may be selectable. Mode messages can only be received by an instrument on the Basic Channel.[/i]