New owner of Godin Custom Session - TriplePlay Questions

Started by PeterPan8, March 05, 2017, 02:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterPan8

Just got my brand new Godin Custom Session guitar, including TriplePlay!

I've been fidgeting for hours (days!) to try to understand some supposedly "simple" stuff, and can't find any answers.  Here are some questions (I may have others, I warn you!):

1. Most images I saw of TP GUI show "Synth" in the left pane menu, mine shows "Split 1, Split 2..." I've been trying hard to find a way to switch it to synth, but to no avail. Any ideas where I should look for this?

2. Apparently, there is a trick to switch to "Hardware" mode. One should hold the "D" button while turning the system on. Didn't work on my side, but maybe it's because I have the "included" TP in the guitar itself. If anyone got access to the Hardware setup, please let me know.

3. I can play (and hear) sounds on the "Split" channels, but whenever I put something on the Guitar channel, like Amplitube, Guitar Rig 5, etc. it doesn't change anything on the sound. What's the trick behind this?

4.The Godin guitar doesn't have the mix button to switch from Guitar-Mix-Synth. There is only a volume knob (#1) and I only have a D-Pad (#2). Is that why I only see "Split" on my TriplePlay screen?

Thanks for any help!

GuitarBuilder

All the answers are in the FTP or Godin documentation; I suggest you pour yourself a nice drink and start reading!

"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

Elantric

QuoteAll the answers are in the FTP or Godin documentation; I suggest you pour yourself a nice drink and start reading!

Problem is the latest FTP beta software  - which has many new features does not have a true "Owners Manual " yet 

PeterPan8

On question 3, I was wondering how to work with Channel 1. If I insert Guitar Rig 5 or Amplitube, it seems that the output sound doesn't change.  Let's say that on Channel 2 I put Kontakt 5, and I use a piano (or violin, etc.) sound to start with, then whatever I put on Channel 1 doesn't seem to affect the outcome.

How do you use Channel 1?

And thanks for your input... I'll put up my reading hat, and start reading... for the next few hours!

PS: Would it be better if I go back to version 1.3 instead of using 1.4 beta?

FishmanSQA

Quote from: PeterPan8 on March 06, 2017, 07:11:35 AM
On question 3, I was wondering how to work with Channel 1. If I insert Guitar Rig 5 or Amplitube, it seems that the output sound doesn't change.  Let's say that on Channel 2 I put Kontakt 5, and I use a piano (or violin, etc.) sound to start with, then whatever I put on Channel 1 doesn't seem to affect the outcome.

How do you use Channel 1?

And thanks for your input... I'll put up my reading hat, and start reading... for the next few hours!

PS: Would it be better if I go back to version 1.3 instead of using 1.4 beta?

Hello-

I'm assuming by Channel 1 you mean the Guitar channel? As they stated above, this is for your guitar audio. You will need to use some sort of interface with the audio out from your guitar, and route it to this channel using the TP preferences.

These details can be found here: https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/tripleplay-user-guide-oem.pdf

"PS: Would it be better if I go back to version 1.3 instead of using 1.4 beta?"

It is highly recommended that you use Tripleplay v 1.4 for optimal performance.

As others stated above, we changed the text "Synth" to "Split" in the main patch readout area to be more cohesive with the rest of the UI. Splits 1-4 in the main read out area reflect the plugin you assigned to those regions respectively.

We are working on updating the documentation for v1.4, but for now, I hope this helps!

Best,
Sara

PeterPan8

@Sarah: I am using the FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 as my audio interface. And you are correct, I meant the "Guitar channel" when I referred to Channel 1.

MY SETUP:

For testing purposes, I mostly use the headphones, not the speaker.

HARWARE MODE:
I cannot load the Hardware mode on my guitar. I followed the instructions: "Power up without FTP App or VST running while holding the UP D-pad button."  I tried ALL combinations (A-B-C-D), nothing works!

Maybe because the TP is integrated in the guitar itself, not in a separate hardware package. Or perhaps I don't know how to load it.  Any ideas what I could try?

AUDIO DEVICE:
In the TP software, under Options/Preferences/Audio Device Type, I have: Windows Audio, DirectSound and ASIO (I chose that one.)

Just underneath, for "Device" my choices are: FocusRite USB Asio and ASIO4All.
I chose FocusRite USB ASIO. Everyone suggests to use ASIO4ALL, but the latency is much larger with it than with FocusRite USB ASIO. With FocusRite, I can use a buffer size of 128 (2.9 ms), while with the ASIO4All v2, I have to use a higher Buffer size.

Anyone here, uses the FocusRite USB ASIO? What's your settings?

CLICKING SOUNDS:
What about those clicking sounds I hear sometimes in the background, as if someone was hitting a piece of wood in a high pitch sound. Sometimes it's a short beep sound, happening here and there.  E.g., Using Smaple Tank 3 - Grand Piano 1 SE, whatever Buffer size I use, I always hear those annoying clicking sounds. I've tried from 64 to 1024, and those sounds are still present.  Though, it seems to happen more frequently with single instrument, like piano or nylon guitar.  Is that related to the buffer size?  If so, how to make the adjustments?

One other hicup. Every time I open TP software on my laptop, I receive an error message from Kontakt 5: "Unexpected data chunk (file corrupt)."  To correct the problem, I have to shut down TP, and turn it up again, then I don't receive the error message. Pretty annoying! Happened to anyone here? Any solutions?

Thanks for any help!

PS: In the meantime, I really enjoy "toying" with TP, and the learning curve is quite steep, but lovin' every minute of it  ;D

FishmanSQA

Quote from: PeterPan8 on March 08, 2017, 02:25:08 PM
@Sarah: I am using the FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 as my audio interface. And you are correct, I meant the "Guitar channel" when I referred to Channel 1.

MY SETUP:

For testing purposes, I mostly use the headphones, not the speaker.

HARWARE MODE:
I cannot load the Hardware mode on my guitar. I followed the instructions: "Power up without FTP App or VST running while holding the UP D-pad button."  I tried ALL combinations (A-B-C-D), nothing works!

Maybe because the TP is integrated in the guitar itself, not in a separate hardware package. Or perhaps I don't know how to load it.  Any ideas what I could try?

AUDIO DEVICE:
In the TP software, under Options/Preferences/Audio Device Type, I have: Windows Audio, DirectSound and ASIO (I chose that one.)

Just underneath, for "Device" my choices are: FocusRite USB Asio and ASIO4All.
I chose FocusRite USB ASIO. Everyone suggests to use ASIO4ALL, but the latency is much larger with it than with FocusRite USB ASIO. With FocusRite, I can use a buffer size of 128 (2.9 ms), while with the ASIO4All v2, I have to use a higher Buffer size.

Anyone here, uses the FocusRite USB ASIO? What's your settings?

CLICKING SOUNDS:
What about those clicking sounds I hear sometimes in the background, as if someone was hitting a piece of wood in a high pitch sound. Sometimes it's a short beep sound, happening here and there.  E.g., Using Smaple Tank 3 - Grand Piano 1 SE, whatever Buffer size I use, I always hear those annoying clicking sounds. I've tried from 64 to 1024, and those sounds are still present.  Though, it seems to happen more frequently with single instrument, like piano or nylon guitar.  Is that related to the buffer size?  If so, how to make the adjustments?

One other hicup. Every time I open TP software on my laptop, I receive an error message from Kontakt 5: "Unexpected data chunk (file corrupt)."  To correct the problem, I have to shut down TP, and turn it up again, then I don't receive the error message. Pretty annoying! Happened to anyone here? Any solutions?

Thanks for any help!

PS: In the meantime, I really enjoy "toying" with TP, and the learning curve is quite steep, but lovin' every minute of it  ;D

"I cannot load the Hardware mode on my guitar. I followed the instructions: "Power up without FTP App or VST running while holding the UP D-pad button."  I tried ALL combinations (A-B-C-D), nothing works!

Hey there-

Ok I'm a little confused about what you are trying to do so hopefully with a little more info we can tackle this. It appears with the diagram that you are using Tripleplay with our software, is that correct? If this is the case, you would not need to be in Hardware Mode. Hardware mode is for use with external synths etc separately from our software.  Just to be sure we are on the same page, can you explain what you are trying to do using Hardware mode?
To put the internal controller into HW mode...you power on the unit while holding the top button of the D pad in.

How do you use the guitar channel?

Here is a PDF that explains how to get you set up to use the guitar channel within the TP software: https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/tripleplay_tut2.pdf

What about those clicking sounds I hear sometimes in the background, as if someone was hitting a piece of wood in a high pitch sound. Sometimes it's a short beep sound, happening here and there.  E.g., Using Smaple Tank 3

More than likely you did not authorize Sampletank 3. Go to IkMultimedia.com>Support>User Area>My Products   Scroll down to Sampletank Custom shop and click Serials/Authorization. Run the authorization manager, restart TP and Rescan for plugins. If this does not resolve that problem, let me know.

Every time I open TP software on my laptop, I receive an error message from Kontakt 5: "Unexpected data chunk (file corrupt)." 

I am unaware of any issue on our end with this error message, but found a thread here regarding it: https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/kontakt-5-unexpected-data-chunk-file-corrupt.218228/

Hope this helps!

Best,
Sara

PeterPan8

First, I have to admit that I didn't finish reading "all" TriplePlay documentation, but I will!

Quotecan you explain what you are trying to do using Hardware mode?
My main reason was to dig deeper into the settings, to try tweaking something in order to eliminate the annoying "beep", "click" and "pop" I hear on some instruments I play on (see below).

Guitar Channel: I found it! It now works fine... thanks!

Kontakt 5 Error Message: I copied the Kontakt.dll file into the TriplePlay directory, and no more errors... so far so good! I'll see with usage.

Annoying Clicking Sounds
I thought I had registered everything, but on your suggestion, I repeated the registration process, and I got the message: "Serial Number already registered by another user (403)" which means I had already registered all included IK Multimedia softwares.

So, I still have those "funny" sounds coming through once in awhile. The noise is more prominent on single instruments (piano, nylon guitar) and not so much on PAD ensembles, or brass.

Any settings I should check?

Elantric

QuoteAnnoying Clicking Sounds

What make / Model Computer and OS version are you using with your FTP

Clicking /popping sounds are common when the ASIO buffer is set too low, or your computer's USB 3.0 ports are not compatible with your audio interface

QuoteEveryone suggests to use ASIO4ALL, but the latency is much larger with it than with FocusRite USB ASIO.

I dont recommend ASIO4ALL - specifically for the reasons you state

its common for most Windows laptop computers to suffer audio issues  / pops/ anomalies when  used for real time audio /MIDI processing, such as the Fishman Tripleplay 
Goes back to an older thread of your's

Best Laptop to Work with FTP
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19731.msg141793#msg141793
PeterPan8 wrote>
QuoteMy fear(s) are mainly about buying a certain type of eqpmt (laptop, speakers, or what have you), then finding out it was the wrong choice.

and it was stated a Mac provides a more effective FTP experience in my real world use

Burr Johnson at NAMM Booth (Macbook Pro , RME Fireface UC
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FirefaceUC

PeterPan8

I think I got a pretty "decent" system, but I agree it's not an Apple, and for reasons I wrote before I had to go with Windows. I had to go that route, and couldn't get both, unfortunately!

Here are the specs:
HP Omen Win 10 64-bit
http://store.hp.com/us/en/cv/omenlaptop

Intel  4 cores  i7-6700HQ
CPU 2.6 GHz
RAM 16 Gb
SSD: 128 Gb
2nd Hard Drive: 2 Tb
1 USB 2.0
2 USB 3.0

Maybe the problem is around the ASIO or the FocusRite ASIO, don't know.
I usually use a buffer size of 256 samples, sample rate 44100 Hz.
But I've tried other combinations and I still got audio anomalies.

Elantric

I would be sure to connect the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 to your one USB 2.0 port (near the Kensington Security lock hole

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05357609

Read about potential problems with USB 3.0 ports for audio interfaces on Windows PC's
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8562.0

PeterPan8

@Elantric: Thanks for all the good tips!
@sec6: I did exactly that. I followed (most) FocusRite procedure to optimize Windows. The only thing I'm not quite sure is to disengage the firewall/anti-virus. On my desktop computer, I ditched McAfee long ago, and replaced it with BitDefender, with a huge difference. So maybe that's what I'll try on my laptop.  Though, I only download the "best and safest" (if that's possible) softwares I REALLY need. That's the trick! I'll make a point not to bloat my computer with stuff I don't really need. Only music-guitar related for the laptop!

Kontakt 5 Error
Unfortunately, even after moving the DLL to the TriplePlay directory, I still have the error message about 80% of the time during boot. My solution is to shut down TP, and open it again, and it usually works. But I'm sure there is a conflict somewhere. Maybe because I also installed 32-bit DLLs, and Kontakt is probably reading those also. I installed 64-bit TP v 1.4.

Popping sounds
I may have found the culprit, and it's not hardware related, since my system seems to work fine (and fast) with every software installed. So the culprit could be... guess what, my fingernails!  As a classical guitar player, I mostly play with my fingernails, but about a month ago, I decided to trim them all, and they are now growing back again, but there are not long enough yet. When I pluck a string, I noticed that part of the flesh and nail hit the string almost at the same time. On a regular acoustic guitar, it's barely noticeable. But with a guitar synth, it makes quite a difference! I found that yesterday by chance while playing very, very close to the last pick-up, and I noticed the popping sounds were almost non-existent. Weird, isn't it!  I guess I'll have to clean-up my play... grow my fingernails, or learn how to use a pick!

One last point about FREE VST
What about those? Have you used any interesting ones playable in TP? Any links you want to share?
An how to be sure they are not infected with nasty electronic bugs?

Cheers  ;D

Elantric

QuotePopping sounds
I may have found the culprit, and it's not hardware related, since my system seems to work fine (and fast) with every software installed. So the culprit could be... guess what, my fingernails!  As a classical guitar player, I mostly play with my fingernails, but about a month ago, I decided to trim them all, and they are now growing back again, but there are not long enough yet. When I pluck a string, I noticed that part of the flesh and nail hit the string almost at the same time. On a regular acoustic guitar, it's barely noticeable. But with a guitar synth, it makes quite a difference! I found that yesterday by chance while playing very, very close to the last pick-up, and I noticed the popping sounds were almost non-existent. Weird, isn't it!  I guess I'll have to clean-up my play... grow my fingernails, or learn how to use a pick!

True - this is an important concept important for Guitar to MIDI

Is your Pick  / Plectrum type  / Fingernails giving you ghost notes?
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4324.msg29221#msg29221
QuoteMajor discovery today, thought I'd share...

So I've been playing (er... trying to play...) "Footprints" using a sax sound on my GR55, and having far, far more glitches & "mousie death squeals" than normal.   Frustrating, because I thought my setup has been great for a while.   Getting angry, I started flailing/fretting, trying to force it to happen consistently...   

Then I noticed a pattern, the squeals were dependent on how I picked the string, a very particular way...   Mainly on the high B and E, rarely on the other strings.   Messed around some more & found that if I 'bowed' the top 1/4" of the pick across the strings, I could reproduce the squeal like a madman...   

Inspected the pick, it was slightly old & slightly rough at the tip...   

I got a new pick.   It was like getting a new GR55...   

The state of your PICK makes all the difference in the world...    :o

I went through my bag & tried a few picks, and I could NOT get the squeals with my hard, smooth, V-pick... 
http://v-picks.com/

I used to think they were overpriced & bought a couple just to experiment, but now I'm thinking they may be a perfect match for the GR55...

Having issues?   Try a new pick.   Still having issues - I have DRAMATICALLY different results with a V-Pick.   

http://www.v-picks.com/product/starter-kit-2/

Elantric

PeterPan8

A BIG thank you to all of you guys (and gals  :-*)

You give me so much good information. I'm really happy to have found your forum, even though I was (am, will) bugging you with my "newbie" questions!

For someone hiding on an island in the Pacific (Vancouver Island), and not having any "experts" around me, you are my life-savers whenever I have questions about guitar and other musical stuff.

You make my day  ;D