VG-99 - just picked up a VG99, GK3 or Godin?

Started by jcaman, March 04, 2017, 08:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcaman

So I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of a new to me Roland VG99, I own a GR30 that I use with a GK3 but I'm wondering if there isn't something "better" perhaps a Godin xtSA or a Fishman system.
any advice/insight greatly appreciated.

sixeight

Quote from: jcaman on March 04, 2017, 08:47:17 PM
So I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of a new to me Roland VG99, I own a GR30 that I use with a GK3 but I'm wondering if there isn't something "better" perhaps a Godin xtSA or a Fishman system.
any advice/insight greatly appreciated.

Congrats on your new VG99. My experience is that magnetic pickups work better with the VG99 then a piezo. Fishman does not sell GK compatible devices. The Fishman Triple Play is a different kind of device that does guitar-to-midi wireless.

alexmcginness

Definately GK-3. I owned a Godin LGXT. Luckily i put a GK-3 on it as well as one night I got to the stage on the boat I was working on and the piezo in the G string saddle malfunctioned and I was with out a g string for the virtual guitars. I would have been out of work if it werent for the GK pickup. Ive never had a GK pickup malfunction on me. I do treat them gently though bit theyve been far more reliable than the Godin piezo.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

mooncaine

GK. I don't think it'll matter much whether it's a GK-3 or a GK-2A. I've got both on various guitars, and my now 16-year old GK-2A is still on my main axe. Played a gig with it last night. Love it.

jcaman

Awesome. Thanks for the replies.
You guys just saved me several hundred dollars :)

gumbo

...don't worry, we'll show you how to spend it in other ways...   8)

Cheers from Oz,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

vanceg

Another strong vote for magnetic pickups over Piezo for the VG-99.  I'd use a GK-3 or the Cycfi Nu pickups (which are basically the size of a single coil pickup). 
For modeling and signal processing, absolutely use magnetic pickups over Piezo.

Vance