Used Kemper Lunchbox Help Please

Started by Chumly, February 25, 2017, 07:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chumly

Hello Vguitarers,

I may be buying a used Kemper lunchbox and I have a few questions but first here's some background.  The guy I would be buying it from, bought it used on eBay a few years ago and the seller was from Germany.  I do not yet know the reason the guy is selling it.  The price works out to about $1250 US.  I live in Canada and the seller lives close by in Canada.  I have no idea if it is a B stock, refurbished, repaired, etc. but I have heard that some have trouble with rotary encoder LED's, LCD displays, scrolling thru patches quickly, and possibly other concerns.

Questions:

1. Will there be concerns with differing supply voltages, since it originally came from Germany?

2. Is there any way to find out via its serial number or otherwise to confirm such things as age, B stock status, refurbished status, repaired status, etc?

3. Are there some simple and quick procedures to ensure the Kemper is fully operational and will not be problematic?

4.  Is the price fair?

5.  Have the effects finally gotten to the point that they are in the same ballpark as the newer Axe FX units?

6.  I have little interest in profiling my own amps, so how are the factory patches and other sources of free patches and/or am I likely to need to buy some and if so which ones and home much?

7.  Not to start a flame war, but I'd likely be just as happy with a newer Axe Fx unit as they are also available used, thoughts?

8.  How well will my FCB1010 work with the Kemper and is a Uno chip or equivalent advisable?
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

thebrushwithin

1. Will there be concerns with differing supply voltages, since it originally came from Germany?

2. Is there any way to find out via its serial number or otherwise to confirm such things as age, B stock status, refurbished status, repaired status, etc?

3. Are there some simple and quick procedures to ensure the Kemper is fully operational and will not be problematic?

4.  Is the price fair?

5.  Have the effects finally gotten to the point that they are in the same ballpark as the newer Axe FX units?

6.  I have little interest in profiling my own amps, so how are the factory patches and other sources of free patches and/or am I likely to need to buy some and if so which ones and home much?

7.  Not to start a flame war, but I'd likely be just as happy with a newer Axe Fx unit as they are also available used, thoughts?

8.  How well will my FCB1010 work with the Kemper and is a Uno chip or equivalent advisable?

Hey Chumly,
Never had such a great time with a piece of gear(VG gear aside). Here are my answers to your questions:

1. Don't know, but I've had mine several years, did have the motherboard replaced, under warranty.
2. Most likely. Ask for it and send it to Kemper. They are very accommodating.
3. Read the basic manual, It's pretty thorough.
4. Great price!
5. Fantastic!!!
6. There are some great free ones, including the factory rigs. Michael Britt's are probably some of the most popular commercial offerings, and are very reasonably priced. There are many popular commercial profiles, by many profilers, all priced reasonably. I find the commercial ones to be a time saver, as going through and auditioning the free ones, to find the ones you like, can be exhausting.
7. Kemper is famous for amp accuracy, and AXEFX for effects, editing. Since the latest OS, the Kemper effects rival some of the best.
8. I use a stock FCB. Easy to program with the editor by Mountain Systems, and has served me without any problems for many years of fairly heavy gigging.       

whippinpost91850

Chumly, I think the brushwithin's answers are spot on. Excellent price

I don't think power should be a problem as mine came with both American and Euro cords

I've been playing live with mine for 5 yrs and without a doubt the best piece of gear I have ever bought in 50+ years

I used an FCB for 4 yrs before I got the Remote and still like its Button layout better, but the Kemper Remote still offers some very unique and nice features

I don't (even though I have) profile . I agree the Britt profiles to be the most road worthy, but there are several other pro profilers. Providing great profiles depending on the style of music

Chumly

Thank you all, I'll probably buy it after giving it a quick test!
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman