Anyone familiar with Tascam TA-1VP vocal processor? How to run it with XD-V75?

Started by matizadomrb, February 23, 2017, 03:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matizadomrb

Hey guys,

I've been looking for a mic pre to run my Line6 XD-V75 modeling/wireless mic, so I can bring it to line level and plug it into the rear Input 1 (Left/Mono balanced 1/4" TRS jack) of my Axe-Fx II XL+... Goal is to run vocals/harmonica/talkbox through the Axe for effects/amp/cab processing.

While doing so I got curious about whether there was some sort of vocal processor that could handle live pitch correction like the TC Helicon VoiceTone Correct, but with a line level 1/4" output so it could also function as my mic pre.

And so I found the Tascam TA-1VP... A rack mounted vocal processor from 2011 that runs on Antares' software for pitch correction (their well regarded Auto-Tune) plus mic and analog tube modeling... And of course it has the 1/4" line level output that I need for the Axe.
http://tascam.com/product/ta-1vp/

I've been doing some research and even though the unit is a bit old, reviews from the last couple of years seem to imply that it can still hold its ground (considering the speed at which DSP has evolved in the last few years this kind of tech could've been rendered useless pretty quick). It is certainly not perfect with very limited EQ capabilities, probably an older version of the Auto-Tune software (as it looks like it has never received a firmware update) and a compressor that apparently leaves lots of artifact in wav files when recording (not really an issue for me as I'll be using it in live situations predominantly)... But the pitch correction and mic modeling both seem to be top notch.

It certainly looks like this can fit the bill for what I'm looking for (please do point out if I'm missing something that might not work for my primary goal of running the XD-V75 through the Axe-Fx), but I do have a key specific question on how to use the mic modeling with my Line6 XD-V75 mic that maybe someone that has used/owned a TA-1VP (or that is simply smarter than me!) might be able to answer:

The way the mic modelling works (see page 26: http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/546/e_ta-1vp_om_va.pdf ) is that you first choose the "Source" mic you're gonna be using (meaning the actual physical mic you're singing through) from a menu list that includes 14 of the most widely used mics (Shure, Audio Technica, Rode, etc). If your mic is not on the list, then you must choose from a list of "Generic" mic categories that includes: hand-held dynamic, studio dynamic, wireless, small diaphragm condenser and large diaphragm condenser... This is gonna serve as the basis upon which all the available models will be build, so once you choose the "right Source" mic you can go ahead and choose the model you wish to sound like.

That being said, my dilemma is what "Source" mic am I supposed to choose on the TA-1VP if I'm using a Line6 XD-V75?... Considering that the Line6 is obviously not on the list of "Source" mics, then in theory I'm suppose to choose one from the "Generic" list... But should I choose hand-held dynamic or wireless? (considering the XD-V75 is actually both)...

Another approach, considering that the Line6 mic is also a modeler, would be to choose the same mic on both the XD-V75's models and the TA-1VP "Source" list (for the example the Shure SM58)... I'm guessing that in this manner the "shape and color" of the signal coming from the XD-V75 mic should match what the TA-1VP is "expecting" to receive to build upon the chosen model... But then again this is still all being done through a wireless mic and instinct tells me that if the option for wireless exists on the "Generic" list, it's because the TA-1VP probably builds the model based on more than just the "shape and color" of the "Source" mic signal (maybe there are some characteristics on the mic's response that aren't carried through with a wireless signal?)

Anyway, I want to figure this out before deciding to go ahead and buy a TA-1VP because my main goal is still to be able to use the XD-V75 (which I love), so if the fact that it is wireless is going to be an issue for using the mic modeling feature of the TA-1VP, then I might just drop this whole idea and just get a simpler and cheaper mic pre... I'm certainly excited about all the things that the TA-1VP could probably help me achieve in my live rig and would love to be able to just buy one and figure this all out myself by actually using it, but I'm afraid my budget is not enough to allow this which is why I'll appreciate the wisdom on this forum to help me figure this one out!

Cheers!

stratrat

Can't comment on the TA-1VP specifically, other than to say the Tascam stuff is generally decent. However, I'm not a fan of the Antares Autotune - in studio I far prefer Melodyne and live I prefer TC-Helicon.

Speaking TC, have a look at The TC-Helicon VoiceLive Rack (which is basically a VoiceLive 2 in a rack). I've been using one for a year and am still very impressed with how good the pitch correction is. Plus it's a very "deep" box - a good preamp, EQ, compressor and gate on the front end and most of the effects you would want on the back end (delay, reverb, modulation, transducer, doubling, hardtune and up to 4-part vocal harmonies. I'd far rather use that and the mic that suits my voice perfectly (AKG-C535EB) than a jack-of-all-trades modelling solution. If you want to upgrade from there, you add in a high-end channel strip and jack into the VLR just for effects and harmonies.

matizadomrb

Hey stratrat! Thanks for the feedback man!

Good to hear the Tascam is so well regarded (never used their products before).

To be honest I've never used the Autotune for vocals myself, but I've been using an Antares ATG-1 floor processor (which is pretty much an Autotune for guitar) for a couple of weeks now and I'm extremely happy with it... Very different animal I know but it has certainly turned me into an Antares fan!

TC I do know well as I used their products quite a bit years ago before I turned to all-in-one modeling rigs (Fractal, Line6, Kemper) and I think they're great!... I owned a VoiceTone Correct back in the day and I was very happy with it, so I can only image how much the vocal processing tech has probably evolved since then...

I've just checked the VoiceLive Rack you recommended and it did move the G.A.S. needle a bit (LOVED the UI!)... Looks like the Output is indeed line level (specs say: "Output Range (Line/Mic Level): 16 dBu / 0dBu"... Am I right?) so it should work for my primary goal of bringing my XD-V75 to line level before going into the Axe-Fx... Two issues though: (1) might be overkill for my purposes because I do want to use the Axe for effects and build patches that I can control from my pedalboard, so I'll probably just end up using the pitch correction features and stuff like the vocal harmonies, and (2) it's a bit out of my budget at the moment! (one of the reason I'm considering the TA-1VP is because I can get one on eBay/Reverb for about $200).

Jack-of-all-trades... Yeah I'm totally guilty of that in pretty much all my gear since I went down the rabbit hole with the whole DSP revolution... Probably the wrong approach I know, but I must confess I love my sin... What can I tell ya!  ;D