An Unvarnished Effort to Influence EHX Using Bill Ruppert

Started by Rhcole, February 21, 2017, 06:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhcole

That's right, Bill. We're beaming mind-control zombie waves at you.
I am impressed that your fine new pedal the Synth9 is virtually identical to what I predicted EHX would make a year ago. Too bad about not using my suggested name the Syn9 though, I would have loved ads that said "Mike Matthews wants you to live in Syn". Oh well, that boat done sailed.

But, could it be that our comments on this forum actually INFLUENCED the resulting product? Gasp!

So now this time, we're going to tell you what we want. Yes, somebody is going to suggest a box with 43 jacks, 200 knobs, cellular MIDI, a built in iPad, and a microwave. Maybe it would sell.

But I'm going to stick with the ____-9 concept. I know they sell well, and they are kind of cute, like collecting Pez or something.

But here's what I want: I want the Pad9. Background synth sounds. Think a good synth brass sound. Yeah! A standard synth string orchestra. Right! If the Synth9 can't do it, I still want a Solina String Ensemble like in Dream Weaver with the grindey chorus. Yum!
Pad sounds that are designed to sit behind the player but fill out his playing. Swells and fills and great backgrounds. Many with an Attack control.
It'll sell.

And have them keep working on cleaner pitch shifts. We want 4ths, Min 3rds, 7ths, 9ths, this is a DEMANDING group of people here!

Don't get too critical, Bill, remember the mind-control zombie waves.

Smash

Not sure there's a need for pad9 - some sort of VCF - actually Bill said on another thread it has a high end filter on a lot of the tones - and chorus/delay after the Synth9 would create some lush pads I'm sure plus give it the stereo spread it so desperately needs. Also very much in the spirit of effectology - building blocks and all that

What I'd be interested in is a ROM9 - 9 memory empty pedal with paid for tone packages downloaded via USB. Simple librarian system to manage. Differentiate it as top dog in the range by adding a stereo Chorus/verb/delay block. Charge double the entry price = SY300 killer (although the SY seems to be doing a good job of that itself lol!)

There are some obvious risks in terms of exposing the format used but could open up a 3rd party revenue stream of licensed tone prints... (Waldorf, Korg etc)

jassy

Quote from: Smash on February 22, 2017, 03:31:07 AM

What I'd be interested in is a ROM9 - 9 memory empty pedal with paid for tone packages downloaded via USB. Simple librarian system to manage. Differentiate it as top dog in the range by adding a stereo Chorus/verb/delay block. Charge double the entry price = SY300 killer (although the SY seems to be doing a good job of that itself lol!)

That one is certainly a good idea! and if it would allow to edit something in the computer previously to upload it to the "ROM9", then it would be brilliant.

chrish

it should also be able to accept sample data from an outside source and place that sample into  into rom, after the secret ehx 9 sauce is applied.

Rhcole

From another post:
"I wish somebody would make a pedal/patch/algorithm that simply added pieces of waveforms like keyboards have had for decades-
A "chuff" sound, a hollow "hoo", the front-end blat of a horn, like the vowel wahs you can buy but with waveforms to shape your sound.
With those resources and some good other boxes, you'd have an entire universe of tone-shaping possibilities."

aliensporebomb

I joked once about a "Bill Ruppert Sonic Explorer Pedal" for EHX but it would almost be like a modular synth in a pedal.

But a lot of this can be traced back to the 50-or-so MP3 demos Bill did on the VG-99 back in the day (not available anymore sadly) - many of those demos later had Effectology versions with EHX pedals. 

The archives of the Yahoo VG group once had some of these that I never even heard so I had to imagine what they might sound like with evocative names like "Angel Chimes", "Atmosphere", "Singing Mouse" and "Bb Clarinet".   

Those came and went before I found out about the VG-99 from the Premiere Guitar article about the GR-300 model in the VG-99 so I never got to hear them.

If some of you have archives of those demos, you know what is possible with the right combination of effects in different orders and every GK device has a strength or capability that goes untapped because some people don't do the playing around necessary to go in weird directions to get a sound.  Nothing wrong with a guitar into an overdrive into some kind of reverb but there's so much more you could do.

I still hope Bill puts out a record someday spotlighting his musical sense someday - his demos like "Rue de Pluie" and "The 12th" were great pieces of music in their own right even though they were "demos".  His earlier band "Software" didn't really spotlight that kind of thing.  The best of that sounded like amazing introspective movie soundtracks.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Piing

A Hold (freeze) function pedal would be an amazing addition to the Pad9.

Let the pad play in the background and play your guitar thing over it.

mooncaine

Quote from: Rhcole on March 16, 2017, 06:05:45 PM
From another post:
"I wish somebody would make a pedal/patch/algorithm that simply added pieces of waveforms like keyboards have had for decades-
A "chuff" sound, a hollow "hoo", the front-end blat of a horn, like the vowel wahs you can buy but with waveforms to shape your sound.
With those resources and some good other boxes, you'd have an entire universe of tone-shaping possibilities."
Right on, brother. Me, too. That's what I thought I was hearing from the first VG-8.