Bought a GP10. Should I be scared :)

Started by JiveTurkey, February 19, 2017, 04:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JiveTurkey

Found a good deal for one of these this afternoon. I will have to eat crow on my lack of GK enjoyment  :-X but the patches posted by Ainsoph (apologies if I spelled that wrong) made me do it  ;D

Hopefully; I can either pan between guitar amp and synth patches using the expression pedal? Also; I know there are some really good traditional guitar tones to be had and I plan to fully utilize them. Do I need to run the 1/4 adapted cable from the guitar output to the GK or will the GK itself track fine for those duties? I have had the 55, the 33 and the SY but never did traditional guitar tones with either of the GR units.

I'll dig into the manual this weekend and see if I can make heads or tails. Either way; excited to hear what the sounds are like!

gumtown

QuoteShould I be scared

Yes, I would be very afraid, you will never look back. !!!
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

JiveTurkey

Quote from: gumtown on February 19, 2017, 05:11:11 PM
Yes, I would be very afraid, you will never look back. !!!
I had a feeling someone would say something to that effect  :D Are the GP10 "instrument"patches better approximations than the Sy equivalents?

chrish

No need to be scared. A news black out works for me.;-)

BackDAWman

I've just put mine back on ice. After getting the midi control working finally with win 10 the 'G' and 'D' strings stoppped working. Add to that the warbling on alt turnings and I'm back to programming up my GR55 to replace it...:-(

slooky

Quote from: JiveTurkey on February 19, 2017, 04:41:25 PM
. Do I need to run the 1/4 adapted cable from the guitar output to the GK

No, I don't. Have fun!

Brak(E)man

Yeah , you need too be scared  :o
I feel that GP is a buggy bugger
but hey ! good luck !
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

aliensporebomb

I've never seen strings stop working except where the cable itself is having problems.  Clean both cable ends maybe?  And the jack on the guitar?

As far as "scared" - well like any other GK device it had pluses and minuses - for me the pluses were the conventional guitar sounds.  Your mileage may vary.

The synth stuff is just the icing on the cake.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

JiveTurkey

I don't plan on any alt tuning shenanigans. I bought it pretty much for Ainsoph's instrument patches. Crossing my fingers  ;D Of course; I spent 4 hours working on my SY/Atomic rig in honor of my new purchase and it was sounding (and working) better than ever  :-X

JiveTurkey

Quote from: Brak(E)man on February 20, 2017, 04:54:51 AM
Yeah , you need too be scared  :o
I feel that GP is a buggy bugger
but hey ! good luck !
BUT IT'S POLYPHONIC. RIGHT?!?!!

:D

chrish

Not if it warbles on alt tunings on the low strings. That would make it a polybugger. :-)

Brak(E)man

- Lydia Lunch

whippinpost91850

Brak(E)man, Please send me your email address so I can send you the Synth pictures.. Paul,      whippinpost91850@aol.com

Rhcole

JiveTurkey,

You're gonna love it!
Buy a Gittler cable IMHO.

JiveTurkey

Quote from: Rhcole on February 20, 2017, 09:21:38 PM
JiveTurkey,

You're gonna love it!
Buy a Gittler cable IMHO.
If I like what I am hearing; I will look into that. Thanks for the suggestion! Still wrapping my head around how I am actually going to use it. I would like to move effortlessly from synth tone to onboard amp tones but I am not sure if that is possible with the GP or not.

Autana

JiveTurkey, you can go safe with GP-10, despite the bugs I can be dealt like a marriage, there is no perfect one, I get convinced toward GP-10 for its improved COSM, separate-six string recording usb,  capabilities, VGF and Ainsoph fantastic patches. GP-10 made me put aside my Godin Multiac Nylon and use my electric with COSM patches Nylon tones I create myself on it. Welcome to the YellowBox fan club.
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Elantric

Despite the reports of poor alt tuning - myself for past three years the little yellow Boss GP-10 has seen far more use for my live gigs than any other 13 pin product I own, and works brilliantly for my needs using either a GK-3 or RMC Peizo 13 pin systems 

JiveTurkey

Quote from: Elantric on February 21, 2017, 10:22:09 AM
Despite the reports of poor alt tuning - myself for past three years the little yellow Boss GP-10 has seen far more use for my live gigs than any other 13 pin product I own, and works brilliantly for my needs using either a GK-3 or RMC Peizo 13 pin systems
I was hoping you would chime in! I'm going to stop trying to be a glutton for punishment at some point but it's been too much fun so far  ;D

Brak(E)man

And I've used it for two years live and on 3 CDs
despite the alt tuning buggies  ;D
But it's good to be scared sometimes

- Lydia Lunch

chrish

''But it's good to be scared sometimes''
unquote

that is centainly true of something  that is of immedate  hazard, fear is a survival mechanism.

however not a good short term strategy for the long term

''quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave'' my favorite line from ''blade runner''