OT - guitars with stop tail piece

Started by Paresh, February 18, 2017, 12:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paresh

Hi guys - just want yr opinoins. I'm researching a new guitar, maybe a PRS, & does a stop tail piece hold tuning better than one with a trem arm? I'm not a big trem user & better tuning might be worth the trade off, unless they have no way to be adjusted & that's a drawback. Thanks!!
paresh

nix808

Yes- hardtail bridges/guitars go out of tune less.
Using a term stretches the strings.

It is attempted to mitigate this by having a clamp at the nut.
For MIDI- you could have a very hard wood neck, with a nut clamp,
and strings that don't go through the body- if you could find a bridge like that.
I think a bass-style bridge would not make the strings resonate at the body's frequency.

Adjusting intonation is usually possible on electric bridges- is that what you meant?
Cheers!
Rock and Rock my boat, as long as you don't rock and rock my boat!hehe

Paresh

thanks...yes I didn't know if stop tailpieces could be adjusted for intonation.
paresh

Mrchevy

In my experience, the bridge is only a small factor for tuning stability. I have a Gibson LP custom, and of all my guitars, (8), it is the worst about staying in tune. Not from playing, but every time I pick it up to play it, I usually have to fine tune it (very sensitive to temp and humidity). I have a Gibson WRC (designed by Wayne Charvel) with a Kahler full floater bridge and locking nut that is a bitch to get it in tune, but once it is, it stays there (dive bombs galore, and if I pick it up after not playing it a few days, a few bends and divebombs brings right where it needs to be). I have 2 Schecter C-1's (Classic and Hellraiser)with gibson style bridge and string thru body setup, they rarely go out of tune, even after sitting in a stand for a couple of weeks. My advice for a new guitar, find one you like, play the hell out it, strum hard, string bends galore, and if it stays in tune, there is your guitar.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Paresh

Great! thank you. It seemed like a dumb question to ask, but I learn so much from you guys...
paresh

whippinpost91850

Stop tailpiece cant, but bridge can be adjusted for intonation

Paresh

paresh