Guitarists from the former Soviet countries

Started by merman93, February 16, 2017, 06:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merman93

Next time you get stuck in a rut, and find yourself using the same old hooks, etc. etc., take a look at some videos of these remarkable guitarists for some inspiration.
You will obviously notice that the unfamiliar guitars these guys use.  Even when US guitars were smuggled in, they were unaffordable to the average person. In the fifties even Britan had an embargo on US instruments, which created a bit of a demand for any brand of electric throughout much of Europe.

Amongst the hordes of barely usable " copy" guitars, a string of factory's in Czechoslovakia were making quality guitars and basses, that everyone could afford. The guitar of choice in the circle of Soviet guitarists was the semi hollow  Jolana Tornado.

Following are links. Please remember these guys rarely had actual guitar amps, but a few of the guys did use pa heads that included echo, and they kept them close at hand to adjust the echo to their unique playing style and use of vibrato bar.

I hope you find some inspiration from these pioneers that are destined to fade away into obscurity.

Guitarists from Soviet era countries;

REMIS - this guy has such a unique style finger bending , vibrato, and echo.

MAHMUD QASLAXI

(fast forward to 3:30)

MAHMUD ISMAHYILOBGLU

ELMAN NAMAZOGLU

RUSTEM QUILIYEV

Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

jassy

Interesting post, I've never heard this way of playing and phrasing.
I got captivated by the melismatic phrasing of ELMAN NAMAZOGLU

vanceg

Wow. Thank you for compiling these and bringing them to our attention!

GeePeeAxe

One of the best blues players is Boris Bulkin, a russian guy.