Anyway to use GK pickup to run internal and Fishman Triple Play at the same time

Started by jimmyj, January 29, 2017, 05:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyj

I hope someone can give me some advice on this.  I plan to put a GK 13 pin internal kit in my Gibson SG. Is it possible to run the 13 pin cable from my guitar to a Roland GKP-4 Parallel box and then construct a short 13 pin cable from the GKP-4 into a Fishman Triple Play.  I have read the instructions on this site about people doing something similar to this by using some capacitors and trimpots before the Fishman Triple Play device. I also read where someone had put a GK internal board inside a Fishman ready Strat and it appears they just did some rewiring without the extra caps and pots.  If it's just a matter of connecting the 13 pin wire to the Fishman then I think I can do that. If I have to create the diy board with the trim pots and capacitors then I think that will be beyond my ability at least with the instructions I have read.  I would like to use my VG99 and a Triple Play with one guitar. Thanks

alexmcginness

Id like to know this too and have asked before. Links were provided to other threads on this site, apparently to answer the question but those links only pointed to threads that didnt answer the question either way. Its either yes or no. So far, no definitive answer. Can this be done? Yes? OK heres exactly how______________ B) No not yet.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Elantric

It requires a lot of DIY effort and skills beyond the typical user

the answer is Yes  - One Mag hex PU may be used to drive both the FTP and the GK-KIT-GT3, all described step by step  in Vade's thread ( 6 pages of info) here

FTP - Fender Fishman Tripleplay Strat - install an internal GK Kit
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15974.0

alexmcginness

VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

jimmyj

I guess I didn't ask the question correctly.  Do I absolutely need the diy caps and trim pots ?  I have the ability to rewire the plugs for both the GT3 and the Fishman. Does it matter which pickup is used on the guitar ? If not then it would seem that the Roland pickup would be the easiest since I am using the Roland board there.  Also would the length of the 13 pin cable from the guitar to the Fishman make a difference ?  I have installed a couple of GT3 kits before. What is confusing me is on one thread on this site it seems you need the diy project and on the other (the one Elantric posted the pics of here) the guy just rewired everything, which I know I can do. Actually I could probably wire up the caps and pots but I can't seem to follow the instructions on that thread. Thanks Elantric for your reply.

Elantric

Best to review and read ALL the referenced threads here

Internal GK hack to add FTP?
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=18036.0

Its easiest electrically to use one common Mag Hex PU to feed both GK-KIT-GT3 and FTP preamps in one guitar
All described in detail here:
FTP - Fender Fishman Tripleplay Strat - install an internal GK Kit
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15974.0

While the " DIY adapter to use GK 13 Pin Guitars with Tripleplay"  board with Caps and trimpot attenuators  are required if you have a Guitar with 13 pin out, or stock GK-3 with 13 pin out and wish to use a 13 pin A/B box ( Roland US-20) to select between Fishman Guitar to MIDI (FTP) or GK 13 processor (VG-99,GP-10,GR-55, etc)   

FTP - DIY adapter to use GK 13 Pin Guitars with Tripleplay
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8413.0

alexmcginness

If this is "easy" whats needed is ONE thread with instructions and parts needed to make this so. What we seem to have is a lot of questions on "how" to do this and a lots of directions that say " go this thread to check that out" and then another link to go to some other thread to find something else out. Its more of a scavenger hunt than a detailed "how to" one stop instruction thread.