iPad for playing and monitoring. Need opinions.

Started by CaptainTuna, December 01, 2016, 09:10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainTuna

Hey everyone,

So I just bought my first set of IEMs and I was wondering whether the iPad could come in handy for monitoring. My initial thought was buying a hardware brickwall limiter to use in conjunctions with my IEMs but then I wondered: couldn't I just feed the monitor signal to the iPad somehow, limit it with an app (I've seen apps that do this) and then output it to my IEMs?

So, in theory it looks like it could be done, but in practice I've never done it. So, the setup would be something like: bass into iPad, monitor signal into iPad, and then iPad outputs one channel to the mixer and another one to my IEMs. I can set Bias FX to get the input only on the left channel, and then I could probably send the right channel and the output from Bias FX (monitor) to a limiter (via audiobus), then to MyMiX / DMIMixer and output it on one of the two outputs on my audio card.

One possible caveat: monitor signal should be without bass I guess, else I'd hear both the bass coming from Bias FX and the bass coming from the monitor (delayed).
Another caveat: I've got a SonicPort VX, so if I use 2 inputs they're both gonna be line level, and I would need to find a way to get the instrument level up to line level.

Is this doable? What are your thoughts.

Elantric

CaptainTuna

It looks like it doesn't have a hard/brickwall limiter though, it just says it has a compressor and I'm a bit worried when it comes to not hard limiting IEMs (I have heard some awful stories).

But apart from the limiter, I guess the whole point about the monitor signal having to be without the instrument I play would still make sense if I bought a dbx go-rack,or wouldn't it?

I'm currently looking at the Scarlett 2i4 which would be perfect if I went with that instead of an external box (such as the go-rack). I've read your blog posts about using a Scarlett and I guess the 2i4 should work quite well as it is USB class compliant. If i sold my SonicPortVX and bought the Scarlett instead I could probably spend the same amount (around 30 bucks) I'd spend for a go-rack, while also having more outputs, a hard limiter and no other box to rely on.

What do you think?
Hmm...lots of thoughts in my head right now.

Elantric

The round trip audio latency using an iPad IOS based comp /limiter in real time use at the gig would throw my timing off

There is a phenomena  of compressor "ducking" that is also a battle with IEMs, typically means that anytime the singer shouts in the mic, your own tone drops out of the IEM.

We have an important fact filled  IEM thread worth reading 

New Strategies for Improved Live Sound - In Ear Monitors
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=46.0

whippinpost91850