Submarine pickup

Started by donaldduck, November 28, 2016, 12:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donaldduck

Hello, I have one of these:
http://www.submarinepickup.com/
Would it be possible in your opinion to build a conversion cable to use the two single string pickups with GK effects (I'm thinking of my GP-10)?
Thanks!

Majiken

Hi, from what I can see it's a normal 1/4" output.... the GP10 only has 1 normal and 1 modeled input, so if you want specific effects for the submarine input I believe it would only work in combination with a modeled guitar. In that case run a 1/4" cable from the submarine in parallel with your 13-pin one and assign FX in the according signal paths.

If you like the sound of your (I assume) mag or piezo pickups you might consider the submarine-free alternative of assigning your desired alternative like bass on the 2 lower strings to the modeling section- more sonic flexibility with less hardware.

If you want full tonal control over both 1/4" outputs, the only alternative I would see is to get a dedicated 2nd preamp/fx like perhaps the new Boss GT-1.

This is all said not knowing what exactly you want to accomplish; more detail there could lead to more specific options... have fun, and I hope you get where you want to go soon :-)!
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

Elantric

Important concepts are covered here

Build a 1/4" Guitar Input > GK 13 pin out adapter cable?
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5252.0

donaldduck

Quote from: Majiken on November 28, 2016, 04:42:50 AM
Hi, from what I can see it's a normal 1/4" output.... the GP10 only has 1 normal and 1 modeled input, so if you want specific effects for the submarine input I believe it would only work in combination with a modeled guitar. In that case run a 1/4" cable from the submarine in parallel with your 13-pin one and assign FX in the according signal paths.

If you like the sound of your (I assume) mag or piezo pickups you might consider the submarine-free alternative of assigning your desired alternative like bass on the 2 lower strings to the modeling section- more sonic flexibility with less hardware.

If you want full tonal control over both 1/4" outputs, the only alternative I would see is to get a dedicated 2nd preamp/fx like perhaps the new Boss GT-1.

This is all said not knowing what exactly you want to accomplish; more detail there could lead to more specific options... have fun, and I hope you get where you want to go soon :-)!

Well, I would like to take the two submarine pickup outputs (one for each 'bass' string) and send them to the GP-10 as the string 5 and 6 inputs (so to pins 5 and 6) INSTEAD of the GK-2, so I can use the modeling part to have an octave down sound along with the normal effects.
From what I see I would need a (2 channel) buffer between the pickup and the GP-10, as it is in the GK-2 (or GK-3), I have a BOSS TM-3 which may be enough for that, I suppose?

Elantric

It's simpler to locate a used GK-3 toss the hex PU and modify it for your submarine pickups

donaldduck

Yup, and once I got a GK-3 I guess it is simpler to use that  ::)

sixeight

There is a hexaphonic version "Submarine Pro"  available via crowdfunding now:

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/submarinepro

Hurricane

Bummer - NOT AVAILABLE in the USA - - - -

Sooooooo much fo dat chit . Look's nice . Pity

EZ :

HR

Smash

A new hex pickup - interesting.

£95 on early adopter crowdfunder discount. Regular price £150 which I guess is about the same price as GK3 and breakout box which is far more versatile as true 6 output whereas Submarine poro has only 2 outputs which each hex must be assigned to either (if only two channel why not wireless?). That said Submarine pro is way more pretty and the soundhole mount is way more flexible.

Can't help thinking it's already on verge of redundancy though with the way EHX are progressing with poly 1/4 inch processing.

Love the way it's some amazing new thing to split bass onto lower two strings and process others separately.....Roland VG users have only been doing it for over 20 years!!

Who'll be the first to hack it into GK cable?

*EDIT* been thinking about this some more and assuming the left right routing is flexible then alternate tunings are a goer if for example you ran just E,B,E on one channel through a tone drop leaving A,D &G untouched - instant DADGAD. Same for open tunings. Drawback being the assigns are done by microswitches so your stuck with one preset....

chrish

Quote "Love the way it's some amazing new thing to split bass onto lower two strings and process others separately.....Roland VG users have only been doing it for over 20 years!!"

I wonder if the company knows that because this is their claim.

"The Submarine Pro is a new type of guitar pickup that can isolate sound from individual strings."

And consider if you go back to 1980 with the Roland GR300 you could have a synth bass on the low strings and play your regular guitar on the High strings.

admin

Quote"Love the way it's some amazing new thing to split bass onto lower two strings and process others separately.....Roland VG users have only been doing it for over 20 years!!"

True
As well as the Little Thunder PU
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12706.0

billbax

My mini breakout cable and any hex preamp can do all of this and much more.

I think submarine pickups didn't do much research into what's already available.

MINI BREAKOUT CABLE

1  13-Pin line-socket. GK pickup input for recording separate strings. V-synth input with re-amping, re-guitar and re-synth etc.
2  13-Pin GK pre-amp power cable (3M).  Connects to a v-synth (power) or an optional dual 7-9vdc PSU.
3  Separate string output/input jacks (including Pin-7 normal guitar).  XLR and phonos are an option.
4  Extremely durable oxygen-free-copper cable for separate string signals. Fully shielded. Very low cable resistance. 40cms / 16" length. 
5  Pin-8 'Phantom power' with internal in-line socket resistors. Pin-8 allows access to a Roland GR-55 synth voices. Thanks to Elantric.

Price: £75.00GB plus trackable shipping.  3 years warranty with RTB.

Regards,

Bill Bax
http://www.separate-strings.co.uk

Smash

Absolutely!! ....but you are stuck with gk3.

To be fair to submarine their pickup is (IMHO) much nicer looking although it's girth will compromise positioning, easier to mount and no ugly wart so easier to swap guitars. It may help break the ice into full blown hex processing for virgin guitarists too. If they offered 13 pin connection could be very cool. But yeah agreed, functionally inferior as it stands.

billbax

Hi All,

Not wishing to put a hex on the submarine pickup, but as Elantric has already mentioned...

QuoteIt's simpler to locate a used GK-3 toss the hex PU and modify it for your submarine pickups

6-WAY SWITCHING GK3 SENSOR TO 3.5MM SOCKET

PROS:

* Highly flexible Tip/Off/Ring function switch with each string

* Ideal for pedal effects with selected strings (-12/+12 Octave effects etc)

* Signal-noise-ratio is respectable @ -73dB (one string) All strings +/-65dB

* String separation @ 35dB

* Easy to make

* Low cost components around £35.00GBP

CONS:

* Raw GK3 Hex tone

* Six strings available in bridge position & only two in neck sensor position

Bill
www.separate-strings.co.uk

GuitarBuilder

The new Cycfi Research NU multi pickup (v2) is coming - I suggest you wait for that instead:

http://www.cycfi.com/2018/06/nu-v2-multi/
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973