New member from Twin Cities

Started by tbeltrans, November 19, 2016, 06:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbeltrans

Ye, another older guy here.  I have been collecting pieces of Roland gear during sales at one of the local Guitar Center stores.  My setup now consists of a GT-100, 2 RC-300s, and one GR-55, all driven by a Godin ACS-SA nylon string guitar.  I just want to explore and see what happens.  My "vision" is of this whole setup being similar to a potter's wheel, so that my music can evolve in real time.

The GR-55 stereo outputs go to one of the RC-300s, and the the straight guitar output from the GR-55 goes to the GT-100, which then goes to the other RC300.  The midi master is the RC-300 that the GT-100 goes into, and everything else is slaved to that.  The stereo outputs of the two RC-300s then go to a small 4 channel Mackie mixer.  I may change the arrangement around as I use it and find that somethings work better one way than another, but I think the equipment selection is right.

I have been reading a lot of the posts in these forums that are relevant to the equipment I have (extremely helpful!!), as well as watching performance videos of members here.  All in all, very informative and impressive.

After reading about the OPT-01 subsonic filter from Richard McClish at RMC here in these forums, I am in the process of ordering one for my GR-55.

When I get to that point, I have a Tascam DP-24 to record with.  I got it used at one of the local Music-Go-Round stores locally a few months ago.  Since I am semi-retired (and can be fully retired at any time), I am looking forward to having some serious time to work with this equipment.  I have been playing guitar for many years, some of these full time professionally, so I already have that part of the equation together.

Tony

carlb

Welcome, Tony! Assuming you mean Twin Cities, Minnesota, another one here.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

tbeltrans

Carlb,

Yes, Minnesota.  Thanks for the response.  It will be interesting to explore and find my own "musical voice" with all this gear.  It sure seems as if many folks here are musically quite active, based on watching videos and listening to recordings.

Tony

aliensporebomb

Welcome from one Twin Citian to another.  I haven't encountered too many others up here who use this stuff but I've been using it pretty much exclusively in a live and recording context since 2008 or so.  Welcome!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

tbeltrans

Thanks aliensporebomb!  If I were to use any of my setup live, it would be just a piece of it such as the GT-100.  At one time, I had a number of pedals of various kinds with the pedal board, power supply, and al the wires.  I decided that the GT-100 (v2) is good enough and greatly simplifies the whole thing.  I have not played out in several years and have no current plans to do so, but just in case, it is good to have some equipment around to use for that.

Today, I was able to spend some time finishing up with connecting and testing everything.  Largely due to having read quite a bit here i these forums, there were no surprises and it all went smoothly, and most important - it works as I had hoped it would.

I would be interested in seeing you play live sometime.

Tony

carlb

If either of you want to stop by a show today we're finishing up "Spitfire Grill." 2PM, Visitation school, Dodd road at Mendota Heights road.

The kids are fantastic performers and vocalists. The pit is superb, semi-pro and pro, great players, but then there's me  ;D. Keys, accordion, cello, violin, and me on mando and guitar. Shanties, jigs, and ballads - no polkas, heh. My first "acoustic" gig in a while.

I'm using the GP-10 with separate patches for mandolin 1/4" input (EQ, slight compression) and 13-pin guitar input (acoustic modeling). The modeled acoustic sounds better than my actual acoustic does, and I have alternate tunings on a control pedal. Since the GP10 is on top of my monitor (easier editing), I use Primova's MIDX-20 to bring in a midi foot-pedal for patch changes. Since I can't use the expression pedal on top of the GP-10, the MIDX-20 brings in an EV-5 to control mandolin volume. An FS-7 pedal controls the alt tunings.

Followed by a BBE Sonic Maximizer, the sounds are some of the best I've had.

Pics from the pit and booth:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/11489481@N04/

And of the performers:
http://www.nieldsphotography.com/p104700018/h18601368#h1b307cd6

I can get you a ticket or two free, let me know. (I'll check PM before I leave for the show.)
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

tbeltrans

I just got home from running some errands and have more to do today, unfortunately.  Your location is on the other end of the Twin Cities for me.  I am in Columbia Heights - the northern end of the area.

Tony